Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2020, 8:10 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
I meant to say shut down intl passenger flights.
Old May 3, 2020, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by garykung
I am surprised many of you arguing a moot point.

OP has not been returned since asking the question. Yet OP, like many others, is still a Do Not Admit.

The quarantine is here to stay unless the MPS lifts it. End of story.
Perhaps he managed to get a visa, and didn't have time to report back on his experiences yet. Since he is based in NYC, dropping by the consulate to inquire about current requirements is a relatively easy drill. As 889 pointed out, the press releases clearly mention the "door", but don't explain how to proceed through it.

anacapamalibu Yes, China could have banned flights, but they didn't. Even foreign airlines are still permitted to fly passengers and cargo to/from China, as long as the adhere to the new rules.
Old May 3, 2020, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Perhaps he managed to get a visa, and didn't have time to report back on his experiences yet. Since he is based in NYC, dropping by the consulate to inquire about current requirements is a relatively easy drill. As 889 pointed out, the press releases clearly mention the "door", but don't explain how to proceed through it.

anacapamalibu Yes, China could have banned flights, but they didn't. Even foreign airlines are still permitted to fly passengers and cargo to/from China, as long as the adhere to the new rules.
I'm familiar with the rules. Mercy flights.
Old May 3, 2020, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
I'm familiar with the rules. Mercy flights.
I'm not familiar with the term "mercy flights". I'm talking about scheduled flights like PVG-JFK and PEK-LHR.
Old May 3, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
That's correct, the intensity and speed of the spread was due to air travel. If China wants to shut down intl flights. .so be it.

If US would have done back in early January what China is doing now, it's likely we would be in a situation like Taiwan.
Highly doubt that. The CDC would have been required to NOT screw up the test kits. All that would have happened is a delayed version of what's already happening. Community spread started in late January and the first confirmed COVID-19 death occurred in early February in Santa Clara County, although this wasn't known at the time. Taiwan backed up their mandatory quarantines with aggressive testing, but that requires that you can actually test and trace contacts. The US was not setup to do this because it didn't get hit hard enough by SARS and MERS and failed to learn the lesson by watching other countries fail. South Korea (hit by MERS in 2015) failed to learn the lesson by watching Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore get hit hard by SARS, and those 3 failed to learn the lesson by reading papers by epidemiologists. It seems to be a common pattern in the world that a society needs to actually get screwed by an outbreak in order to create a plan to deal with one.

Last edited by STS-134; May 3, 2020 at 10:21 pm
Old May 3, 2020, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
It seems to be a common pattern in the world that a society needs to actually get screwed by an outbreak in order to create a plan to deal with one.
What did US "society" get for the 7.2 billion dollar CDC budget. Screwed!

Last edited by anacapamalibu; May 3, 2020 at 11:51 pm
Old May 4, 2020, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by 889
Where did I suggest the hotels themselves would be a problem? Imprisonment is imprisonment, even if in a gilded cage.

There are presumably reasons behind continuation of the foreigner blockade. But "limited quarantine hotels" is a smokescreen for whatever are those real reasons. (Skepticism is a useful approach in China.)
China isn't the only one blocking all foreigners while allowing citizens in with a mandatory quarantine, so is Australia and New Zealand.
Old May 4, 2020, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by STS-134
While I can understand banning everyone except their own citizens from epicenter outbreak locations (such as the US) at this time, not allowing people in from New Zealand and other places that have effectively been able to suppress their outbreaks (even if they're willing to submit to a 14 day quarantine to make extra sure) makes no sense.
Why should China let Kiwis in when NZ itself isn't allowing any foreigners to enter?

Last edited by tauphi; May 4, 2020 at 5:35 am
Old May 4, 2020, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Perhaps he managed to get a visa, and didn't have time to report back on his experiences yet. Since he is based in NYC, dropping by the consulate to inquire about current requirements is a relatively easy drill.
Like a lot of other missions, the NYC consulate has been closed since 6 April.
Old May 4, 2020, 5:53 am

“Isn't that what I said?”

No, that's not at all what you said clear as a bell, which was "the US initially did not block arrivals from China, it blocked Chinese citizens."

You were trying to justify China's criticism of the U.S. ban by painting it as discriminatory against Chinese citizens. In fact, the ban had nothing to do with Chinese citizenship. Chinese citizens who hadn't recently been in the Mainland remained eligible to enter the U.S. And non-Chinese citizens who had recently been in China were banned, unless they were U.S. citizens/residents.
Old May 4, 2020, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tauphi
China isn't the only one blocking all foreigners while allowing citizens in with a mandatory quarantine, so is Australia and New Zealand.
I think all other countries make exceptions for spouses, kids, etc. China just don’t give a hoot about any of this!
:D! likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 6:00 am

I'm thinking that this would qualify for receiving a visa to enter China.
CA Governor's billion dollar mask deal.

"Newsom said last month that the state and federal governments had "teams on the ground" in China auditing and visiting BYD's factories."
Old May 10, 2020, 6:18 pm

Another sign China is moving towards a re-opening:

"International hospitality groups are gradually resuming full operations in China . . . As of Friday, all of Hilton's 250 hotels in China's mainland have resumed business."

Int'l hotel groups gradually resume full operations in China - Xinhua | English.news.cn
Old May 10, 2020, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I'm thinking that this would qualify for receiving a visa to enter China.
CA Governor's billion dollar mask deal.

"Newsom said last month that the state and federal governments had "teams on the ground" in China auditing and visiting BYD's factories."
Sure...that's why I did not vote for him...BYD's quality is just so...
Old May 10, 2020, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Sure...that's why I did not vote for him...BYD's quality is just so...
I don't think BYD name on contract.
Company..Bear Mtn

California lawmakers plan to probe why state officials wired half a billion dollars for masks to a medical supply company that had existed for just three days,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.