Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by garykung
No. China does not have any OW carrier. The closest one is CX, i.e. to Hong Kong.
The OP asked about OW carriers flying to the Mainland, not within it. KA and JL are the only two that come to my mind at present, but there might be some other options between China and Europe (i.e. I haven't checked).
Old May 2, 2020, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by moondog
They are still processing renewals in Shanghai, and presumably other places, so I think you'll be fine yourself.
So if you renew your RP after 28 March, can you then leave and come back? Anyone tried it?
Old May 2, 2020, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by tauphi
So if you renew your RP after 28 March, can you then leave and come back? Anyone tried it?
An RP is effectively the same as a visa in this respect. My agent tells me that they are not more difficult to renew now than prior to March 28. While it's possible that he's fibbing, I doubt it because he doesn't get paid until he delivers.
Old May 2, 2020, 6:40 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I am guessing that, instead of lockdown, he meant to say unwelcoming to arrivals from other countries. This affects me because if I were to leave now, I wouldn't be allowed to return, but I'm fine with the current policies to the extent that they protect us from further outbreaks.
Can you travel freely within mainland China now?
Old May 2, 2020, 8:18 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
China is to ease its domestic coronavirus travel restrictions by issuing national standards for a Covid-19 health QR code, national authorities announced on Friday.
Eligible citizens who were previously subject to tough quarantine and travel restrictions will be allowed to travel around the country.

SCMP article yesterday

Last edited by anacapamalibu; May 2, 2020 at 8:24 am
Old May 2, 2020, 8:18 am

Delete
Old May 2, 2020, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The OP asked about OW carriers flying to the Mainland, not within it. KA and JL are the only two that come to my mind at present, but there might be some other options between China and Europe (i.e. I haven't checked).
Given as of now, OP is a Do Not Admit, everything is pretty much moot.
Old May 2, 2020, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I am guessing that, instead of lockdown, he meant to say unwelcoming to arrivals from other countries. This affects me because if I were to leave now, I wouldn't be allowed to return, but I'm fine with the current policies to the extent that they protect us from further outbreaks.
Well, the current policy is kind of stupid. Mandatory quarantines for all arrivals at your own expense (if a non citizen) makes more sense. Just that policy alone would cut down on all but the most essential trips. Hawaii arrivals fell from around 30k-35k per day to below 200 with their mandatory 14 day quarantines on arrival, but there's no stupid restriction like you have to be a Hawaii resident to go to Hawaii. Regardless of whether you are a resident or visitor, if you go, you serve your quarantine (and if a visitor, you pay for the hotel and food for 14 days).
Old May 2, 2020, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
Well, the current policy is kind of stupid. Mandatory quarantines for all arrivals at your own expense (if a non citizen) makes more sense. Just that policy alone would cut down on all but the most essential trips. Hawaii arrivals fell from around 30k-35k per day to below 200 with their mandatory 14 day quarantines on arrival, but there's no stupid restriction like you have to be a Hawaii resident to go to Hawaii. Regardless of whether you are a resident or visitor, if you go, you serve your quarantine (and if a visitor, you pay for the hotel and food for 14 days).
I don't think it's stupid to limit the number of arrivals towards the end of keeping the numbers manageable (i.e. not flood the quarantine hotels with more people than they can safely handle). Selfishly, it would be nice if (pre-March 28) RPs were included in the admissible class, but the blanket ban is a lot simpler to understand and implement.
Old May 2, 2020, 9:22 pm

Well, the current policy is kind of stupid..
When you put a sign on the factory door "no customers" allowed. Doesn't take too long before you go out of business.

US-bound shipments from China plunged 25.2 per cent in the first quarter compared to the year-earlier period, including a 20.8 per cent fall in March.
Old May 2, 2020, 9:33 pm

I don't think it's stupid to limit the number of arrivals towards the end of keeping the numbers manageable
OP has a "ton of large orders" open the factory door and let him in. Already lost half their customers..wanna lose them all?
Old May 2, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I don't think it's stupid to limit the number of arrivals towards the end of keeping the numbers manageable (i.e. not flood the quarantine hotels with more people than they can safely handle). Selfishly, it would be nice if (pre-March 28) RPs were included in the admissible class, but the blanket ban is a lot simpler to understand and implement.
What do you think a mandatory 14 day quarantine does? It dramatically limits the number of arrivals, as the example of Hawaii shows (daily arrivals down something like 99.5-99.7%). As for your case, if there were a mandatory 14 day quarantine on arrival back in China, you'd probably not leave and come back unless you really had to, which is the whole point. In my case, I'm just not going, and my wife isn't going either. She could still go without me but she doesn't want to serve out a 14 day quarantine..which is also the point. But there are some people who actually live and work in China and are married to Chinese citizens who can't go back right now because of this stupid policy...those are the people who would gladly serve out a 14 day quarantine. You could argue that they would be able to apply for a new visa but that adds even more paperwork on top of an already annoying process, and possibly a multi day trip to a city with a Chinese consulate, while it's the mandatory quarantines that serve as the biggest deterrent to travel.
Old May 3, 2020, 12:00 am

What do you think a mandatory 14 day quarantine does? It dramatically limits the number of arrivals, as the example of Hawaii shows (daily arrivals down something like 99.5-99.7%).
There already is a quarantine. If they allowed more people to enter, it would impose additional strain upon the quarantine infrastructure.
Old May 3, 2020, 5:20 am

To be willing to undergo a strict 14-day quarantine at one's own expense in a Chinese hotel, one would have to have an awfully awfully strong commitment and motivation to be travelling to China. I certainly don't buy the "Why they'll be flooding in!" argument. Besides, the limited number of flights imposes a limit on the number entering each day.
Old May 3, 2020, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by 889
To be willing to undergo a strict 14-day quarantine at one's own expense in a Chinese hotel, one would have to have an awfully awfully strong commitment and motivation to be travelling to China. I certainly don't buy the "Why they'll be flooding in!" argument.
They're presumably comfortable in their ability to accommodate the current inbound traffic. It's their call as to when and how much to further open the spigot. Not all of the quarantine hotels suck FYI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.