Reload this Page >

Current China Entry policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2023, 8:25 pm

Anyone tried the max 144hr TWOV recently? Can one do JFK-HKG-HGH-HKG-JFK without visa and stop at HGH for 144 hrs? What about JFK-HKG-HGH-PVG-NRT-JFK? Thanks.

https://www.chinadiscovery.com/chine...visa-free.html
Old Jan 15, 2023, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by yoyo
Anyone tried the max 144hr TWOV recently? Can one do JFK-HKG-HGH-HKG-JFK without visa and stop at HGH for 144 hrs? What about JFK-HKG-HGH-PVG-NRT-JFK? Thanks.

No to the first itinerary. Yes to the second.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
No to the first itinerary. Yes to the second.
I am a bit surprised why first one isn't a Yes as well? HKG is now considered part of mainland?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 8:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS

I am a bit surprised why first one isn't a Yes as well? HKG is now considered part of mainland?
HKG-HGH-HKG is not allowed because you are returning to the location you just departed.
Loren Pechtel and gudugan like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
HKG-HGH-HKG is not allowed because you are returning to the location you just departed.
How so if HKG is considered outside mainland? Are you saying JFK-NRT-PVG-NRT-JRK is also not allowed with entry and stopover PVG for 144hrs?
Old Jan 16, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
How so if HKG is considered outside mainland? Are you saying JFK-NRT-PVG-NRT-JRK is also not allowed with entry and stopover PVG for 144hrs?
NRT-PVG-NRT is not allowed because you going from Japan back to Japan. There has to be a third country involved.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 7:50 am

NRT-PVG-NRT is not allowed because you going from Japan back to Japan. There has to be a third country involved.
ah thank you.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:01 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
​​​​​​
Correct - but to be more precise, the country where your departing flight from China lands must be different to the country where the flight that brought you into mainland China took off from, to be classed as transit by the Chinese authorities.

This applies even if, for a multi-leg trip, the country you start from is different to the country you end the ticket in - only the flights bookending the stay in mainland China are of relevance (so for example JFK-NRT-PVG-NRT-LHR is also not eligible for TWOV)
Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:11 pm

Old Chinese Visas Invalidated

Originally Posted by tr3k
Ok, so once they reopen, is my 10 year visa (until 2026 or so) valid again?
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm guessing "no", but that's only a guess.
I have been obsessively checking the Iata website and this forums for updates. I just noticed today that the message for China changed to "Visas issued on or before 28 March 2020 are no longer valid". I believe it previously temporarily suspended. So it looks like all of us who didn't get an emergency visa or have an APEC card will be applying for new visas. The DC embassy apparently is taking applications starting on January 25th.

Doesn't help me too much as I have a flight out of the country on January 27th. Anyone have any experience applying for a Chinese visa from a 3rd country?
percysmith, Majuki and gudugan like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dandyman
I have been obsessively checking the Iata website and this forums for updates. I just noticed today that the message for China changed to "Visas issued on or before 28 March 2020 are no longer valid". I believe it previously temporarily suspended. So it looks like all of us who didn't get an emergency visa or have an APEC card will be applying for new visas. The DC embassy apparently is taking applications starting on January 25th.

Doesn't help me too much as I have a flight out of the country on January 27th. Anyone have any experience applying for a Chinese visa from a 3rd country?
I got a few of my earlier visas in Hong Kong, which was pretty easy. I don't have any recent data points, but iirc a stipulation on 10-year visas for US citizens was that they need to be issued in the US.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 3:15 am

No, the Hong Kong Visa Office was giving 10-year visas to Americans resident and non-resident in Hong Kong. Will have to see if that practice continues.

By the way, the actual language on the Embassy website posted a week ago does hold a bit of promise: "Please note: At the current stage, multi-year multiple-entry visas issued before March 26, 2020 are still suspended of use."

http://us.china-embassy.gov.cn/eng/zytz/202206/t20220614_10702581.htm
tr3k and Cryofern like this.

Last edited by 889; Jan 17, 2023 at 3:28 am
Old Jan 17, 2023, 7:12 pm

The fact that they are actually asking for explicit consent (as opposed to just cancelling upon application) before cancelling existing 10-year visas implies that they are planning for them to be restored at some point.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 4:44 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

I was the second person getting this visa at HGH since Jan 8 reopening. I guess that the first person must be another FTer. 😄😄CX agent at HKG had no clue on TIMATIC, including those in Assistance Desk. They eventually faxed over my itinerary at 8:00 am and got approval after 2.5 h waiting (at 10:30 am for 12:15 pm flight).
If you get directly from USA and return through HKG, you will have much better experience.
gudugan likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
144 hour transit

Originally Posted by GinFizz
​​​​​​
Correct - but to be more precise, the country where your departing flight from China lands must be different to the country where the flight that brought you into mainland China took off from, to be classed as transit by the Chinese authorities.

This applies even if, for a multi-leg trip, the country you start from is different to the country you end the ticket in - only the flights bookending the stay in mainland China are of relevance (so for example JFK-NRT-PVG-NRT-LHR is also not eligible for TWOV)
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I was the second person getting this visa at HGH since Jan 8 reopening. I guess that the first person must be another FTer. 😄😄CX agent at HKG had no clue on TIMATIC, including those in Assistance Desk. They eventually faxed over my itinerary at 8:00 am and got approval after 2.5 h waiting (at 10:30 am for 12:15 pm flight).
If you get directly from USA and return through HKG, you will have much better experience.
would SFO PVG then PVG NRT be permitted?

has anyone done something like this at PVG ?
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Did they issue you a visa? If so, is it a full (passport) page sticker?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.