Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Current China Entry policy

Current China Entry policy

Old Nov 3, 22, 11:15 am

Programs: ex-SPG Platinum, Marriott LG, *G United
The 'Shanghai Hotel' in the Jing An district, Shanghai.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 3, 22, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by vanabb View Post
The 'Shanghai Hotel' in the Jing An district, Shanghai.
Isnt the release document you get from the hotel meant to cover for situations like this? Ive heard others have used this to get through these situations when their code is still red.

Anyway, its a dumb heartless policy in a country that is now full of such policies.
joesk and gudugan like this.
Old Nov 3, 22, 11:43 am

Apparently the release document is useless, only the health QR code in the app is used.
Old Nov 3, 22, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.7MM, AVIS PC
Apparently the release document is useless, only the health QR code in the app is used.
It's really BOTH. You will need BOTH; green code AND release papers.
The green code is to get you into whatever travel building (railway station/airport, etc.), the release papers is needed to check-in to your destination, as it's proof of recent Covid test, and confirms you have completed quarantine, and are "fit to travel".
joesk likes this.
Old Nov 3, 22, 10:48 pm

Just FYI, two families in our group here were released after 7 days, Chinese, to spend the next 3 in isolation at home. The hotel said their health codes will turn 'green' in 'hour or 2'. But of course they did not. They are still in our WeChat quarantine group.

Now they are stuck on the sidewalk at night at the airport, not allowed to enter with a 'red' health code. Young kids too, outside now for hours, no one will help them. The health so-called leaders at the airport, the police, no one. Its unbelievable. There is no compassion or empathy here at all. This would make the national news in any western country.

So be warned. Get that green code. Don't let them shove you out the door with promises.
This happens all the time. They need to show their quarantine release certificate instead of the green (or red) QR code to access the airport.
Old Nov 4, 22, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by boat stuck View Post
I suspect it's not just about optics--Xi is probably genuinely concerned about mRNA vaccines becoming another "chokehold" import that the US can leverage in anti-China containment strategy.

After what happened with semiconductors, China is never going to sole-source anything critical from a US-controlled or US-influenced supplier again as a matter of national security.

If/when China develops a domestic mRNA vaccine, that's when China will clear Pfizer/BioNTech for import, since both sides know if there's a domestic alternative, the US government can't use the foreign vaccine as leverage.
Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
That's a pretty outlandish claim. Why would the US withhold better vaccines? So that Chinese people can get infected, then spread new variants around, and then have those variants come back into the US and cause another surge? Unlike semiconductors, a lack of vaccines in China has a risk to the public health of the people of the US. There is no motivation for the US to disallow import of vaccines.
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Bear in mind that the Fosun project was a licensing deal. After the initial technology transfer (which TMK was not especially extortionate), the Chinese/Taiwanese were supposed to run the operation and at considerable scale. I surmise that saving face was the main reason it didn't pan out. Basically, Chinese companies were making some progress toward developing their own mRNA vaccines. When it became clear that wasn't in the cards, instead of acknowledging failure, Papa Bear simply pretended all was good. I try my best to use diplomatic language in this forum, by the way.
[mod edit] I work for one of the companies who is involved in Covid-vaccine manufacturing. mRNA vaccines are not that complicated and can easily be manufactured by multiple Chinese companies(I know the landscape quite well as I used to consult for the Chinese pharma industry).There have also been many manufacturing deals by both Moderna and Pfizer to produce vaccines at low cost and in local markets. These reasons led to such a rapid roll-out of the covid vaccines. A roll out who scale and speed is unprecedented.

Regarding the Chinese developing an mRNA vaccine, I have seen many products from both my company and other companies be blatantly ripped off under a new Chinese name after a licensing deal was signed with China. Most major companies now do the whole manufacturing process for their high value medicines outside of China since manufacturing in China requires you to reveal many trade secrets to the NMPA(the new name of the Chinese FDA). The fact the Fosun was even allowed to sign the licensing deal to manufacture means that Pfizer basically knows that they won't ever make any money in China.

I can't predict how the CCP will act but I can tell you with 99.9% certainty that if a Chinese company "develops" an mRNA vaccine that has high efficacy, they simply copied the Pfizer vaccine. I reckon the CCP is simply trying to find a way to do so without being caught or losing face or waiting out until the rest of the world stops caring about vaccines or COVID so that they can take a victory lap with their "new" vaccine.

Comparing the semiconductor industry to the pharma industry is ridiculous. Medicine is required for people's survival and any sort of restriction on it looks incredibly bad on the country or company that does so. I work with several products that my company(an American company that manufactures in the US) sells to US enemies including but not limited to Russia, Iran and Syria.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Nov 4, 22 at 7:42 am Reason: Redacted unduly personal comment
Old Nov 4, 22, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by tauphi View Post
This happens all the time. They need to show their quarantine release certificate instead of the green (or red) QR code to access the airport.
The did show the release certificate, of course, but no luck at all without the 'green' QR code. Too bad kids, the sidewalk for you!

They say that when the airport was closed another security team came upon them, and finally they were sorted out. Missed flights but able to book a hotel at least.
Old Nov 4, 22, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The did show the release certificate, of course, but no luck at all without the 'green' QR code. Too bad kids, the sidewalk for you!
Did they escalate the matter appropriately and still get rebuffed? IME, once you get the police (even low level) involved, things have a way of working out.
tauphi likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Nov 4, 22 at 12:01 pm
Old Nov 4, 22, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Did they escalate the matter appropriately and still get rebuffed? IME, once you get the police police (even low level) involved, things have a way of working out.

They say that when the airport was closed another security team came upon them, and finally they were sorted out. Missed flights but able to book a hotel at least.
Glad [for them] it got sorted; but before we draw any conclusions, there is/was the possibility that their code didn't turn GREEN for a legit reason.
The hotel should have never let them out without it though; that fact remains.
Old Nov 4, 22, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
I am told that one can quarantine in Macau then fly into China wihtout needing to quarantine upon landing at a Chinese city.
I would like to verify if this informaiotn is true with experts in this threa.
Anyone has any specific information and website link that I can look at?

Thanks
Ah-ha!
So you're thinking about coming back??? 👍
Old Nov 11, 22, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond
5+3 now and circuit breaker is dropped.

The latter is bigger news than the former
uanj and narvik like this.
Old Nov 11, 22, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by gudugan View Post

5+3 is 8 days in a hotel for most people as opposed to 10 days now (7+3). Not gonna move the needle at all except for those who absolutely need to be back in China. Circuit breaker is big news but they need to increase flights. China is still backwards when it comes to all this stuff.
Old Nov 11, 22, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gudugan View Post

The removal of the circuit breaker is definitely a plus; now, it will presumably be safe to book oddball once per week flights (without the risk of staying in Thailand, Korea, Malaysia, etc much longer than planned).
YariGuy and narvik like this.
Old Nov 11, 22, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
5+3 is 8 days in a hotel for most people as opposed to 10 days now (7+3). Not gonna move the needle at all except for those who absolutely need to be back in China. Circuit breaker is big news but they need to increase flights. China is still backwards when it comes to all this stuff.
Disagree here...(bolded part).
I think this is pretty significant [and WELCOME!] news, and will sway quite a few to come back. Not all, but many.
moondog and YariGuy like this.
Old Nov 11, 22, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by narvik View Post
Disagree here...(bolded part).
I think this is pretty significant [and WELCOME!] news, and will sway quite a few to come back. Not all, but many.
The difference between 10 and 8 days lockup might make a difference for those of us in the China forum.

For the rest of the world of business travelers/ tourists its still over a week in a hotel room to visit what has become one of the worlds most inhospitable countries for non residents. I just dont see 8 days instead of 10 making a difference at all. If they go three like HK, then we may see more than a trickle here.

Search this Thread