Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Current China Entry policy

Current China Entry policy

Old Oct 17, 22, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
China still having a 10 day quarantine is a joke. The speech by his highness yesterday also seemed to indicate they expect to continue their horrible covid policies. Can't imagine all but the most determined traveler will be heading to China in 2023.
It's still conceivable that Papa Bear will chill a little after he is officially annointed.
joesk likes this.
Old Oct 21, 22, 12:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Time for our monthly dose of hopium.

https://archive.ph/Fnrkl

Chinese officials are debating whether to reduce the amount of time people coming into the country must spend in mandatory quarantine, according to people familiar with the discussions, as the countrys Covid Zero policy leaves it increasingly isolated from the rest of the world.

Bureaucrats are looking at cutting the quarantine period to two days in a hotel and then five days at home, said the people, asking not to be identified as the discussions are private. Currently, China requires 10 days of isolation on entry into the country, with seven days confined to a hotel room, and then another three days at home, where people are still monitored and subject to regular testing.
Its unclear what restrictions would apply to the new home isolation period, and how it would apply to foreigners and other visitors without a residence in China. The move could be included in a new iteration of the nations Covid protocol expected to be released soon, the people said. Authorities throughout China use the protocol to guide their response when virus cases emerge.

The shift would need to be approved by senior leaders, so could still be altered or not deployed at all, one of the people said. The National Health Commission, which is in charge of the protocol, didnt immediately respond to a request for comment.
Old Oct 21, 22, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gudugan View Post

This (apparently fairly credible) rumor went viral last night and has been mostly scrubbed, but the word is out!
Old Oct 21, 22, 1:53 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
This (apparently fairly credible) rumor went viral last night and has been mostly scrubbed, but the word is out!
Maybe Mainland will open up after the demise of the Great Leader. Covid Zero has outlasted the Queen.
Old Oct 21, 22, 1:53 am

I dont actually know if 2+5 makes sense. If 2+5 is leaky and people find a way around it, then it will be completely ineffective.

In the reverse direction, I have been watching the League of Legends World Championship which is held in the USA. Pretty much everyone on all the teams from China have immediately caught covid within the first few days with varying degrees of severity; most have decent symptoms. Presumably they all have the Chinese vaccines but the variants outside China are different. If/when Chinese people are allowed outside of China this is going to be really interesting. The players from Korea apparently had a wave earlier this year so are unaffected.
YariGuy, uanj and ftrichard like this.
Old Oct 21, 22, 2:56 am

I dont actually know if 2+5 makes sense. If 2+5 is leaky and people find a way around it, then it will be completely ineffective.

In the reverse direction, I have been watching the League of Legends World Championship which is held in the USA. Pretty much everyone on all the teams from China have immediately caught covid within the first few days with varying degrees of severity; most have decent symptoms. Presumably they all have the Chinese vaccines but the variants outside China are different. If/when Chinese people are allowed outside of China this is going to be really interesting. The players from Korea apparently had a wave earlier this year so are unaffected.
I assume 2+5 will be run like the 7+3 is now. Basically if you don't have a place to go that accepts you you'll get all 7 days in the hotel. My place has never accepted me for any of the + days during my 3 quarantine experiences and I wouldn't expect that to change with 2+5. In practice I'd prepare for a 7 day hotel stay.

The quarantine is ridiculous and sucks for sure, but I'd imagine its also tough for a non China resident to function here even after they are released without a Chinese phone number, address and all the various apps that make tracking COVID and everything else so deliciously easy for the government. It won't be simple to get around China, like it was pre-2020.
Old Oct 21, 22, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
I assume 2+5 will be run like the 7+3 is now. Basically if you don't have a place to go that accepts you you'll get all 7 days in the hotel. My place has never accepted me for any of the + days during my 3 quarantine experiences and I wouldn't expect that to change with 2+5. In practice I'd prepare for a 7 day hotel stay.

The quarantine is ridiculous and sucks for sure, but I'd imagine its also tough for a non China resident to function here even after they are released without a Chinese phone number, address and all the various apps that make tracking COVID and everything else so deliciously easy for the government. It won't be simple to get around China, like it was pre-2020.
It's only a matter of time before we crack the "+X" system (assuming they keep it).

I agree with your point about new arrivals being excluded from useful apps/functions without a China SIM. They can certainly register for WeChat, Alipay (including health stuff), Didi, and delivery apps using foreign numbers, but the user experience is limited (e.g. WeChat pay is especially picky).

Last edited by moondog; Oct 21, 22 at 3:44 am
Old Oct 21, 22, 4:19 am

https://www.nihaomobile.cn/en/home delivers SIMs in quarantine.
Old Oct 21, 22, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.nihaomobile.cn/en/home delivers SIMs in quarantine.
I thought Papa Bear put the breaks on "services" like this. Maybe it's okay because their target marks aren't Chinese people?
Old Oct 21, 22, 12:15 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Another data point on Shanghai is that our building (a very liberal, expat heavy building) used to accept +3s, but now it's 10 days in a hotel.
moondog and uanj like this.
Old Oct 21, 22, 11:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
Data point from a recent quarantine in Qingdao and after the 7 days in a prefab government quarantine facility (yep, not a hotel) the +3 was in the person's ground floor flat. Because the flat is on the ground floor the family use their own dedicated entrance onto the street, rather than the door off the communal staircase at the back. So the local government minders deposit the person at the ground floor flat, secure the door into the street for the +3, but omit to check that there's a 2nd door round the back onto the staircase, and this is left insecure.
moondog, YariGuy and gudugan like this.
Old Oct 21, 22, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by plunet View Post
Data point from a recent quarantine in Qingdao and after the 7 days in a prefab government quarantine facility (yep, not a hotel) the +3 was in the person's ground floor flat. Because the flat is on the ground floor the family use their own dedicated entrance onto the street, rather than the door off the communal staircase at the back. So the local government minders deposit the person at the ground floor flat, secure the door into the street for the +3, but omit to check that there's a 2nd door round the back onto the staircase, and this is left insecure.
That's a pretty sweet trick, and Shanghai happens to have many places with similar setups. I'm curious about how you managed to: 1. find it, and 2. communicate the details to your minders.
Old Oct 22, 22, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
That's a pretty sweet trick, and Shanghai happens to have many places with similar setups. I'm curious about how you managed to: 1. find it, and 2. communicate the details to your minders.
I think not securing the other door was a genuine mistake. The flat in question is owned by the friend who recently went back although for other reasons it's not their registered address, that's elsewhere in the city. I made the posting to make the point that although the policy is tough you can occasionally strike lucky when the minders don't think things through.
Old Oct 22, 22, 4:13 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YariGuy View Post
Another data point on Shanghai is that our building (a very liberal, expat heavy building) used to accept +3s, but now it's 10 days in a hotel.
Although recently a family was allowed to do all 10 days at home because they had a newborn baby.
Old Oct 24, 22, 12:09 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I don’t actually know if 2+5 makes sense. If 2+5 is “leaky” and people find a way around it, then it will be completely ineffective.

I am geniunely concerned China has boxed themselves in. Omicron and the recent variants spreads so easily and China has extremely large numbers of people who have not been exposed to covid. In addition they had vaccines of uncertain effectiveness against these new variants.

It will be years before covid goes away, if ever, so whenever there is an opening to the international world to any degree it is only a matter of time before a breakout occurs. I wish I could see some easy way to manage themselves out of this situation

Last edited by uanj; Oct 24, 22 at 12:37 am

Search this Thread