Current China Entry policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Unless the rules and restrictions changed in the last a few days (which I doubt based on the current lockdown in Shanghai), China does not permit internaitonal to internaitonal transit since Covid started.
I have seen unrealitic routings using China as transit point on Kayak, Expedia and other online websites.
Proceed with caution and do your homework.

Excellent advice!
Thanks. Similarly if you search flights to mainland china, some search engines will show you to transit via Hongkong, Taiwan or Macau, non of these are possible.
gudugan likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Can't find any more details on this but the source is reliable https://www.caixinglobal.com/2022-04...101869212.html

China Slashes Quarantines for Travelers in Covid Control Trial
By Lu Zhenhua

China has launched pilot programs in Shanghai, Guangzhou and six other cities to test out looser quarantine requirements for residents in locked-down communities, travelers from outside the country and the close contacts of confirmed Covid-19 cases, a government document shows.

However, high frequency of nucleic acid and antigen tests will be carried out during the reduced quarantine period for those individuals, as well as professionals stationed in some specific posts with high risk of infection, according to a document released by the State Council, China’s cabinet.
It looks like it was originally reported on the Chinese version of the site (Caixin.com) but has since been deleted...

WSJ article: https://cn.wsj.com/articles/%E4%B8%8...B4-11649894106

Relevant translated portion:

According to the document, the pilot project began on April 11 and lasted for four weeks. A person answering a Covid-19 hotline in the coastal city of Xiamen on Wednesday said measures to shorten the quarantine period were already in place and an announcement was expected soon. Xiamen currently appears to be the only city on the list to implement the new rules.

Last edited by gudugan; Apr 14, 2022 at 7:51 am
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by pruss2ny
This is a vile belittling of what friends and family are going through in Shanghai.
12 years and already bought into the Chinese government's propaganda. Though lots of Chinese who have lived there their whole life are starting to think otherwise.

I guess you can only laugh at it, but someone beat up a volunteer who came to do the COVID test cause his wife complained it hurt. And the response of the government? 5,000 RMB fine.
Some lady was making a fuss about the quarantine, wanting to bang pots and make noise. She gets punished with a week in jail.

So does the government care about people? Well, in China you can get beat up and nothing happens to the criminal.

Oh, and what about how women are treated? I guess China treats women well. I think most Chinese realize women have minimal rights in China.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:15 am

I think China did a great job the past few years, keeping deaths minimal compared to the US. However, times have changed, as they always do.
The presumption is that they care for their people. But the reality is that they are hurting people economically and not doing anything about it. The US actually had a moratorium on evictions. China has no such thing.
When you say COVID Zero at all costs, do you mean making it so people are stuck outside and cannot return home? Stuck in their car for the quarantine period?

The costs are rising, the benefits are decreasing (cause omicron is a new game).

But as to living in China, I always thought it was a tradeoff between safety (as in physical safety on the streets) but there is a concept of "safety" in the sense of being able to plan for the future. You cannot do that in a warzone-there is no point making any longer than short-term plans cause you don't know what will happen tomorrow. With China's COVID policies you absolutely cannot plan.
And their policies also make it glaringly obvious "guanxi" still exists (as in Shanghai people are found to be COVID positive in other provinces. I thought there was a lockdown?).
Old Apr 14, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
This is a pretty weird question/rant when the Chinese govt who 'obviously' don't care about their people have limited the Covid death toll to 4,000.
Up to the point where the vaccines were released, the PRC's response was the correct one. Well, other than the first few weeks of the outbreak. Did you forget about Dr. Li? But then they've made one blunder after another, while Australia and New Zealand have had the proper approach both before and after the vaccines became available.

Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
Even though it's obvious you're not asking this in good faith I'll answer anyway. I've been here 12 years, my life is here and that's about it really. Although they fcked up in Shanghai I'd honestly rather stay here and risk going a bit hungry for a few days than going to the UK or the US and dying 🤷‍♂️
One of my friends in SH caught SARS-CoV-2, after she had been in isolation along with the rest of her building for nearly a month. She has no idea where she got it from, although my guess is probably micro droplets somewhere in a common area of her building. No one else has tested positive, so either people are hiding cases (and they've given people plenty of motivation to lie about positive home tests or keep quiet about symptoms) or it was a visitor. She is perfectly willing to be vaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna but was unvaccinated because of the idiots in the government who still haven't approved it. Looks like she's going to escape with just minor symptoms. And then her father, who is over 75 and also unvaccinated, and whom she hasn't seen for over a month, caught SARS-CoV-2 as well. The way things are looking right now, he's also going to escape with just minor symptoms. But how many people are going to die because they haven't approved Pfizer and Moderna and a lot of the locals don't want anything to do with the "inferior" local vaccines?

I realize that this is a small sample size, but that's now two people I know who likely caught BA.2 in the last week and have no idea where it came from. I really have to wonder what the case undercount is, and wouldn't be surprised if there are now millions of unreported cases in Shanghai alone.

If the goal is protecting people, then they should have approved the best tool that exists to protect people. They still haven't.
YariGuy and Cryofern like this.

Last edited by STS-134; Apr 14, 2022 at 12:48 pm
Old Apr 14, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I guess it’s the same reason why I won’t sell my Tencent or BABA stock when it seems they keep trying to kill these companies. I always thought, the people in charge are smart and care about the economy, they wouldn’t damage it by doing something completely stupid like locking down their showcase city.

I was wrong and I should have left.
For a time now gone by, you were not thinking wrong. And I expect for a time in the future a few years from now, you are not wrong. But you are not right in your thinking for last year and this year. All in all, not too bad!
Old Apr 14, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Wallaceqi
Transit through PVG or any mainland cities are not possible. It is likely an agent's error but I doubt they will rearrange you on other routes. To save some time just skip this route.
Thank you!
Old Apr 16, 2022, 8:54 am

Reported that CDC is suspending its (stupid) covid test requirement to return to the US
Old Apr 16, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Reported that CDC is suspending its (stupid) covid test requirement to return to the US
https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn...very-document/

This only applies to Shanghai (not the rest of China, or the rest of the world).
Also tests may be required to get to the airport in the first place.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by gudugan
https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn...very-document/

This only applies to Shanghai (not the rest of China, or the rest of the world).
Also tests may be required to get to the airport in the first place.
Yes, which is ironic cause the reason Shanghai is locked down is because of a COVID surge and purportedly the reason for the testing requirement.
I would put the CDC incompetence on the same level as China's central government.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 9:49 am

Yes, which is ironic cause the reason Shanghai is locked down is because of a COVID surge and purportedly the reason for the testing requirement.
I would put the CDC incompetence on the same level as China's central government.
ummm…not really getting your concern.

the people in shanghai have been going thru continual testing for weeks now…if they tested +, they arent exactly going to be allowed to go catch a flight….
gudugan likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pruss2ny
ummm…not really getting your concern.

the people in shanghai have been going thru continual testing for weeks now…if they tested +, they arent exactly going to be allowed to go catch a flight….
First of all, given the incompetence in China's central government, the US central government should not be trusting China's central government, and second, you can test negative and still be infected. CDC should either be testing people who didn't show a negative test before departure on arrival and holding them in a quarantine facility on arrival, or they should do away with the testing requirement entirely. It's perfectly OK for the CDC to change policies based on new data it receives but it makes no sense to have two contradictory policies in effect simultaneously.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is evacuating our citizens from a bad situation. And the risk from those people is almost certainly less than the average risk in America.
uanj, tauphi and ezefllying like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
This is evacuating our citizens from a bad situation. And the risk from those people is almost certainly less than the average risk in America.
The risk from most places is less than the average risk in America. The policy never made sense in the first place. But the CDC is just run by idiots.
​​​​​​
Old Apr 16, 2022, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The risk from most places is less than the average risk in America. The policy never made sense in the first place. But the CDC is just run by idiots.
​​​​​​
They are doing a favor to those of us trying to get food in Shanghai. It’s a humanitarian gesture that the state department asked the CDC to allow.

I don’t think it’s idiotic at all and I think every country that has these entry requirements should wave them for their citizens trying to escape the madness that is shanghai.
uanj, Loren Pechtel, joesk and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.