Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Domestic flights in China resume - how are they managing health and safety?

Domestic flights in China resume - how are they managing health and safety?

Old May 18, 20, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by tauphi View Post
Shanghai certainly hasn't been very tough on the lock-down front. But it's not business as usual either. For example, I had a friend drop by my house recently to pick something up for me as I'm still stuck overseas. They were stopped by the guard at the entrance until I could call the management office to let them through.
This depends entirely on the neighborhood committee or the housing unit. You could waltz into my compound and the guard would give you a thumbs up with no questions asked. I feel sorry for those people living in the building with hard to please neighborhood committees.
Old May 18, 20, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
This depends entirely on the neighborhood committee or the housing unit. You could waltz into my compound and the guard would give you a thumbs up with no questions asked. I feel sorry for those people living in the building with hard to please neighborhood committees.
When I returned from Thailand in late February, the day after hanging out with you, coincidentally, one of my first orders of business was to "take care of" the 保安. While I realize that tipping is a hot topic in this forum, in this case, I thought it was a good use of funds, regardless of whether or not it yielded tangible dividends (I still can't say for sure). I shall also note that given it was the first time I saw them in the new year, there was nothing awkward about the exchange.
Old May 18, 20, 11:06 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
When I returned from Thailand in late February, the day after hanging out with you, coincidentally, one of my first orders of business was to "take care of" the 保安. While I realize that tipping is a hot topic in this forum, in this case, I thought it was a good use of funds, regardless of whether or not it yielded tangible dividends (I still can't say for sure). I shall also note that given it was the first time I saw them in the new year, there was nothing awkward about the exchange.
This is the first order of business for me also.
Coincidentally, also when I returned from Thailand after CNY, but I came back third day.
My wife and I brought our laisees to Thailand and back just to make sure we had them on hand when we stepped into the building door.
Old May 21, 20, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by yvrcnx View Post
Seeing that right now it is impossible to travel anywhere without being denied into a country or even boarding, I wonder how domestic flights in China are being handled and what other airlines around the world can learn from the way they are dealing with allowing people to fly again.

There is so much talk about what would need to happen for people to fly again, like immunity passports, quick tests like Emirates is doing etc.

I am trying to understand how flying in China 2 months after the virus 'peaked' is possible again yet in Europe, North America and other parts of Asia it seems that we are months away from being able to set foot on a plane again.

I am not asking this because I don't agree with any of the measures, though some seem extreme but simply trying to understand why flying in China is possible and how are they actually managing who can check-in, board and fly again and can other airlines around the world copy and learn from what China is doing.
You're overthinking this. The answer is very simple: China can do this domestically because there's (almost) no new cases. This is NOT the case in the US and EU, and it likely will never be the case in the US and EU given how widespread it is now.

Outside Hubei, there are essentially no new domestic cases since February. And Hubei has gone to zero since March. Daily numbers are public in China and can probably be found on the English web too. Now I know the previous statements should have long footnotes: reliability of data, foreign imported cases, asymptomatic cases, daily new cases was never truly 0, new clusters in the northeast, etc. But for the purposes of disease control, I think pretty much everyone who has experienced the situation in China can agree that there are now *effectively* zero cases and has been this way for months. Any remaining infections can be quickly contained given the level of vigilance here.

A fact that is probably missed by foreign observers given how high the case counts were in China initially: Outside of Hubei, case counts never exceeded several hundred in other provinces/cities. Other countries cannot hope for this level of containment at this point. It's just too late for the US and Europe.

Even when Hubei has gone to zero cases, it was several more weeks before domestic travel to those destinations were resumed. Today, you can travel to Wuhan from Shanghai and come back and not have your QR health code turn red because the risk is just too minuscule.

The US and Europe can still resume domestic flights. But it's futile to compare them with China on this front.
Old May 21, 20, 2:25 pm
qpr

Originally Posted by Ricebucket View Post

Outside Hubei, there are essentially no new domestic cases since February.
Jilin province is in a lockdown since a few days due to a new breakout in Jilin City and Shulan.
Old May 21, 20, 8:44 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Officials have already mobilized the police and Communist Party groups to make sure residents comply with the lockdown. NYT
Old May 21, 20, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by qpr View Post
Jilin province is in a lockdown since a few days due to a new breakout in Jilin City and Shulan.
I specifically noted "clusters in the northeast" in my post
Old May 21, 20, 11:38 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by qpr View Post
True, however it appears the current breakout in Jilin province (according to Baidu) is a total of 30-40 confimed cases (Jilin province population is about 27 million) and a doubling of Jilin's COVID-19 death toll to two.

Comparing China (except possibly Hubei at the start of the crisis) with the situations in the USA and Western Europe now is comparing apples and oranges. The strength of the reactions to the outbreaks in the Northeast show to me that the government isn't interested in "curbing" the virus but eradicating it.
Ricebucket likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: