Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Orbitz blocking Beijing bookings?

Orbitz blocking Beijing bookings?

Old Feb 5, 20, 10:01 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Posts: 1,482
Orbitz blocking Beijing bookings?

Looking to fly to Beijing this summer. Tried Orbitz and got an error message noting that Beijing is not a valid airport code (PEK, PKS, or BJS). Have not had similar issues with justfly.com, cheapoair.com, or a variety of others.

Is Orbitz now banning us from booking all travel to China?

Anyone else have similar experience on other booking sites or to other destinations in China?
divrdrew is offline  
Old Feb 5, 20, 10:08 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 45,199
Who is "us"?

AA showing its scheduled flight on random dates, Whether those will actually operate remains to be seen.

What exact date, carrier & flights are you seeking?
Often1 is online now  
Old Feb 5, 20, 10:48 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,262
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Who is "us"?

AA showing ..
op asked about orbitz, not aa.

and yes it does come up as invalid for me as well on o
azepine00 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 20, 10:57 am
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 45,199
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
op asked about orbitz, not aa.

and yes it does come up as invalid for me as well on o
Perhaps he should just try a website that works? If he doesn't want to fly AA, try someone else.

As noted, it may make no difference as service may not come back or may not come back at the pre-virus levels.
nancypants and moondog like this.
Often1 is online now  
Old Feb 5, 20, 1:20 pm
  #5  
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beijing
Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Posts: 6,677
They are probably blocking bookings because nobody/no airline knows what the schedule is going to be for the summer. From any rational standpoint, it's better to hold off announcing a summer schedule until the virus situation becomes clearer. From Orbitz' standpoint, it's better to not allow bookings rather than have to do a pile of rebookings/refunds because whatever is booked now, will bear no semblance of what summer reality will be. I'd expect more OTA's and airlines to decide to do the same sort of blocking at least in the short term.
moondog likes this.
jiejie is offline  
Old Feb 5, 20, 2:34 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 2,046
Started a couple of days ago on Chase portal and Expedia, even looking for flights in the next couple of days. Guess they don't want to spend the extra customer service time servicing bookings with high odds of changing.
moondog likes this.
xooz is offline  
Old Feb 8, 20, 7:50 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: AA GLD, AC
Posts: 2,481
Originally Posted by xooz View Post
Started a couple of days ago on Chase portal and Expedia, even looking for flights in the next couple of days. Guess they don't want to spend the extra customer service time servicing bookings with high odds of changing.
The other day I was on Expedia looking for flights to Taipei for this spring. I was pulling up *insane* prices - like $450 r/t from JFK - on Chinese carriers connecting in China.

However, when I input the exact same dates of travel but with the Chinese destination of the stopover (say, PVG), the search said "no flights available."
M60_to_LGA is online now  
Old Feb 10, 20, 6:57 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Posts: 1,482
I was searching for a trip to Beijing this summer as I have a teaching assignment there for five weeks. Out July 8 or 9, back August 16. I don't really care what airline I fly...trying to credit to Delta. Did see a J fare on ANA for around $2500 from JFK on a different site. i will likely just go with that...new seats all the way through. Seems as though some sites will let you book to / from China, while others won't. Just curious to see what others' experience was.
divrdrew is offline  
Old Feb 11, 20, 12:24 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 87,052
Originally Posted by divrdrew View Post
I was searching for a trip to Beijing this summer as I have a teaching assignment there for five weeks. Out July 8 or 9, back August 16. I don't really care what airline I fly...trying to credit to Delta. Did see a J fare on ANA for around $2500 from JFK on a different site. i will likely just go with that...new seats all the way through. Seems as though some sites will let you book to / from China, while others won't. Just curious to see what others' experience was.
For crediting to DL, MU or KE are your best options, then connections using other SkyTeam partners, assuming that DL doesn't resume service to mainland China by then.

I absolutely would avoid using an OLTA in this situation. You'll be at the mercy of their probab ly horrendous customer service.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:07 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 31,142
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
For crediting to DL, MU or KE are your best options, then connections using other SkyTeam partners, assuming that DL doesn't resume service to mainland China by then.

I absolutely would avoid using an OLTA in this situation. You'll be at the mercy of their probab ly horrendous customer service.
I prefer dealing with non-wholeinthewall OTAs to direct with all Chinese airlines, and most other Asian airlines.
moondog is offline  
Old Feb 13, 20, 7:06 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Posts: 1,482
So far, I've had great luck with Justfly.com and believe it or not, CheapoAir.com. The only issues I usually run into is that if you don't book directly with the airlines, many times, you cannot manage your booking online and it complicates things like meal selection, seat assignments, etc.
divrdrew is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: