FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Orbitz blocking Beijing bookings? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/2007660-orbitz-blocking-beijing-bookings.html)

divrdrew Feb 5, 2020 9:01 am

Orbitz blocking Beijing bookings?

Looking to fly to Beijing this summer. Tried Orbitz and got an error message noting that Beijing is not a valid airport code (PEK, PKS, or BJS). Have not had similar issues with justfly.com, cheapoair.com, or a variety of others.

Is Orbitz now banning us from booking all travel to China?

Anyone else have similar experience on other booking sites or to other destinations in China?

Often1 Feb 5, 2020 9:08 am

Who is "us"?

AA showing its scheduled flight on random dates, Whether those will actually operate remains to be seen.

What exact date, carrier & flights are you seeking?

azepine00 Feb 5, 2020 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32035650)
Who is "us"?

AA showing ..

op asked about orbitz, not aa.

and yes it does come up as invalid for me as well on o

Often1 Feb 5, 2020 9:57 am

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 32035804)
op asked about orbitz, not aa.

and yes it does come up as invalid for me as well on o

Perhaps he should just try a website that works? If he doesn't want to fly AA, try someone else.

As noted, it may make no difference as service may not come back or may not come back at the pre-virus levels.

jiejie Feb 5, 2020 12:20 pm

They are probably blocking bookings because nobody/no airline knows what the schedule is going to be for the summer. From any rational standpoint, it's better to hold off announcing a summer schedule until the virus situation becomes clearer. From Orbitz' standpoint, it's better to not allow bookings rather than have to do a pile of rebookings/refunds because whatever is booked now, will bear no semblance of what summer reality will be. I'd expect more OTA's and airlines to decide to do the same sort of blocking at least in the short term.

xooz Feb 5, 2020 1:34 pm

Started a couple of days ago on Chase portal and Expedia, even looking for flights in the next couple of days. Guess they don't want to spend the extra customer service time servicing bookings with high odds of changing.

M60_to_LGA Feb 8, 2020 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by xooz (Post 32036709)
Started a couple of days ago on Chase portal and Expedia, even looking for flights in the next couple of days. Guess they don't want to spend the extra customer service time servicing bookings with high odds of changing.

The other day I was on Expedia looking for flights to Taipei for this spring. I was pulling up *insane* prices - like $450 r/t from JFK - on Chinese carriers connecting in China.

However, when I input the exact same dates of travel but with the Chinese destination of the stopover (say, PVG), the search said "no flights available."

divrdrew Feb 10, 2020 5:57 pm

I was searching for a trip to Beijing this summer as I have a teaching assignment there for five weeks. Out July 8 or 9, back August 16. I don't really care what airline I fly...trying to credit to Delta. Did see a J fare on ANA for around $2500 from JFK on a different site. i will likely just go with that...new seats all the way through. Seems as though some sites will let you book to / from China, while others won't. Just curious to see what others' experience was.

MSPeconomist Feb 11, 2020 11:24 am

Originally Posted by divrdrew (Post 32057042)
I was searching for a trip to Beijing this summer as I have a teaching assignment there for five weeks. Out July 8 or 9, back August 16. I don't really care what airline I fly...trying to credit to Delta. Did see a J fare on ANA for around $2500 from JFK on a different site. i will likely just go with that...new seats all the way through. Seems as though some sites will let you book to / from China, while others won't. Just curious to see what others' experience was.

For crediting to DL, MU or KE are your best options, then connections using other SkyTeam partners, assuming that DL doesn't resume service to mainland China by then.

I absolutely would avoid using an OLTA in this situation. You'll be at the mercy of their probab ly horrendous customer service.

moondog Feb 12, 2020 8:07 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32059679)
For crediting to DL, MU or KE are your best options, then connections using other SkyTeam partners, assuming that DL doesn't resume service to mainland China by then.

I absolutely would avoid using an OLTA in this situation. You'll be at the mercy of their probab ly horrendous customer service.

I prefer dealing with non-wholeinthewall OTAs to direct with all Chinese airlines, and most other Asian airlines.

divrdrew Feb 13, 2020 6:06 am

So far, I've had great luck with Justfly.com and believe it or not, CheapoAir.com. The only issues I usually run into is that if you don't book directly with the airlines, many times, you cannot manage your booking online and it complicates things like meal selection, seat assignments, etc.

koreanair720 Feb 26, 2020 12:37 pm

These sites will also not let you book hotels. I just tried on expedia-owned hotel.com (for s**s and giggles)