Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

What's the situation like in Guangzhou, China right now?

Old Feb 5, 20, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ, DL, AS, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt

How's life like right now? Is the subway and public transit operating at normal schedule/frequency? Any restaurant or tourist site closure?
Old Feb 5, 20, 9:37 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
How's life like right now? Is the subway and public transit operating at normal schedule/frequency? Any restaurant or tourist site closure?
From the local Singaporean forum:

Travel in China during this period

My suggestion is to postpone all visits to China for the time being. Even in the large cities, you will be hard put to find places to eat or do anything worthwhile. I suppose only large international hotels and their food establishments are open. If you are visiting the countryside, it may be a problem getting there in the first place- domestic transportation is severely disrupted.
Old Feb 5, 20, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
From the local Singaporean forum:

Travel in China during this period

I'm not suggesting that I'm going to travel to Guangzhou. I was just trying to get an idea of how life is like over there at the moment.
Old Feb 5, 20, 10:55 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I'm not suggesting that I'm going to travel to Guangzhou. I was just trying to get an idea of how life is like over there at the moment.
Can I ask what you want to accomplish? Throughout China right now the situation is like this: all tourist attractions closed including museums and libraries, all parks closed, restaurants closed except to pick up if you can order from an app, supermarkets ok if you have a mask and walk in individually, no congregating with other people anywhere (especially outside where you can be seen). In most p[laces people are asked to stay inside all day long and venture out once a day or once each two days to buy food. Do no visit family or friends. Malls were open at the start of the week but increasingly are being told to close. So, that is the situation,
viraldemos and moondog like this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I would try to put yourself in their position. No life.. not knowing if you have the disease. Food probably running short.. Concerned about your family etc.
I would think, they people there are very scared. especially since we all know that China hides the truth.
Look at all the hospitals they are building in a very short time.
Old Feb 5, 20, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by uanj View Post
Can I ask what you want to accomplish?
OP's question was perfectly clear.
Old Feb 5, 20, 1:59 pm

Public transit is running. Less busy than usual. They're doing some screening at the entrances. There are noticeably fewer taxis than usual available. Many restaurants and tourist sites are closed. You can still buy fresh food and there are some restaurants open. It's not too bad from a business traveler perspective; I imagine it would be deeply disappointing if you for some reason came as a tourist.
Lizie, wanaflyforless and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobbytables View Post
Public transit is running. Less busy than usual. They're doing some screening at the entrances. There are noticeably fewer taxis than usual available. Many restaurants and tourist sites are closed. You can still buy fresh food and there are some restaurants open. It's not too bad from a business traveler perspective; I imagine it would be deeply disappointing if you for some reason came as a tourist.
Do you live in GZ or you're only there on business?
Old Feb 5, 20, 9:06 pm

Do you live in GZ or you're only there on business?
Regular visitor to GZ, even now - HK is one of the places I call home.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 12:05 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
A buddy of mine lives in Baiyun district. He says there are now (since two days ago) daily temperature checks when entering/leaving his apartment building, and that there are temperature checks for some cars, too.
Old Feb 13, 20, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Came across a report yesterday for Guangdong Province: 1241 confirmed cases with 2 deaths.
Old Feb 18, 20, 8:05 am

Programs: FB Platinum; Priority Club Spire; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
A buddy of mine lives in Baiyun district. He says there are now (since two days ago) daily temperature checks when entering/leaving his apartment building, and that there are temperature checks for some cars, too.
Considering the state of some cars and lorries in China, that could be interesting

Search this Thread
Search Engine: