Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting In China / Quarantine

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:44 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by Ricebucket
Just to reiterate how fast things are changing here... a few more news tidbits, all from today:

2) China is now allowing only 1 flight by each airline to each foreign country.
You can't leave your house, but can fly to China?
That's good to know
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
You can't leave your house, but can fly to China?
That's good to know
And I just heard: China will now deny entry to all foreigners as of 3/28.
Edit: verified: https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/top...t1761867.shtml

Last edited by Ricebucket; Mar 26, 2020 at 9:45 am
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Ricebucket
And I just heard: China will now deny entry to all foreigners as of 3/28.
Edit: verified: https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/top...t1761867.shtml
Untrue, entry by foreigners has not been banned. Existing visas and all visa-free arrangements have been suspended. New visas can be applied for and will be granted for “necessary” economic, trade, science, tech, etc. YMMV as to whether you’re “necessary” or not
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bobbytables
Untrue, entry by foreigners has not been banned. Existing visas and all visa-free arrangements have been suspended. New visas can be applied for and will be granted for “necessary” economic, trade, science, tech, etc. YMMV as to whether you’re “necessary” or not
You aren't going to get an RP unless you are here, and how do you expect to procure a visa?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by moondog
You aren't going to get an RP unless you are here, and how do you expect to procure a visa?
visa issuance hasn’t been stopped - those that are considered “necessary” can still get one.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: various
visa issuance hasn’t been stopped - those that are considered “necessary” can still get one.
You might be technically correct but let's be real. At this point, "necessary" (as defined by the Chinese) is probably 1 out of every 100 non-diplomatic visa applicants. For the moment, the rest are being deferred either for approval or in some locations, even for processing acceptance.
EMIC likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:55 pm

Yeah I'm thinking maybe Terry Guo could get one.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: CX, BA
Smile

Originally Posted by jiejie
You might be technically correct but let's be real. At this point, "necessary" (as defined by the Chinese) is probably 1 out of every 100 non-diplomatic visa applicants. For the moment, the rest are being deferred either for approval or in some locations, even for processing acceptance.
Yes - totally correct. Normal Chinese way of 'saving face'.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Yeah I'm thinking maybe Terry Guo could get one.
Who is Terry Guo and why is he necessary for China?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
My company's HR department seems to think it'll be a minor issue (we probably fall pretty squarely under the economic/trade necessity). We'll see - I'm unlikely to need to visit until mid-April at the earliest but some of my colleagues have probably already had their visas re-applied for.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Who is Terry Guo and why is he necessary for China?
I don't know that it's necessary for him to be physically in China. But he is definitely necessary for China.

Founder and now currently director of Hon Hai Precision, employs over a million people in China.

Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:11 pm

The announcement by its terms only applies to "foreign nationals."

Terry Gou is from Taiwan and is not in Mainland terms a "foreign national."

I haven't seen any announcement that holders of Mainland Travel Permits, used by people from Taiwan to enter the Mainland, are now barred. Perhaps somebody else has.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by 889
The announcement by its terms only applies to "foreign nationals."

Terry Gou is from Taiwan and is not in Mainland terms a "foreign national."

I haven't seen any announcement that holders of Mainland Travel Permits, used by people from Taiwan to enter the Mainland, are now barred. Perhaps somebody else has.
Most likely Mr. Guo's fleet of private jets have a military grade clearance to enter China.
EMIC likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My company's HR department seems to think it'll be a minor issue (we probably fall pretty squarely under the economic/trade necessity). We'll see - I'm unlikely to need to visit until mid-April at the earliest but some of my colleagues have probably already had their visas re-applied for.
Please update us on this thread as to whether or not you get a new visa to come to China. I am curious as to what falls under the economic/trade necessity heading. I’m guessing that unless you’re personally invited by Chairman Xi, you won’t be getting a visa.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Please update us on this thread as to whether or not you get a new visa to come to China. I am curious as to what falls under the economic/trade necessity heading. I’m guessing that unless you’re personally invited by Chairman Xi, you won’t be getting a visa.
I'm guessing that he'll get a visa if the consulates are accepting applications, but won't be able to use it until the restrictions are lifted. If it's supported by the central government, much higher odds though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.