Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Situation in Wuhan?

Situation in Wuhan?

Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by STS-134
However, what I absolutely would not tolerate would be people firewalling my internet connection while I am stuck at home, and trying to prevent me from getting or sending information about the event that was keeping me at home in the first place.
But you are illustrating exactly the difference between the quarantine in China and any semblance of that in the West. While you agree that some limitations on mobility are necessary, you question the rationale behind the firewall. Other people may have a different opinion and demand that the highways and airports be kept open. In the West, we can voice our concerns and question/blame the government because our culture respects an individual's self (as opposed to selfish) interests. In Chinese culture, there is no room for such discussions, particularly in public discourse, not to mention much sorrow for an individual's inconvenience -- or death -- so long as the disease is eventually eradicated and normal life can resume for everyone else.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SethC
Then your friend is basically feeding you party propaganda. I am seeing the local community groups. Those local Wuhan ladies are getting furious.
Yup. I've seen very similar stuff from Chinese propaganda not too long ago.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
No, it is about attitude. Some people complain no matter how good they have it. Some make the best of their bad situation.
Blaming the government for everything bad that happens to you pretty much happens under all political regimes.
This is a strawman argument. I never (not once) mentioned anyone blaming the government. Your friend, however, is telling you fairytales. She is incapable of telling you the truth because she has to stand by the national line that everything in China is great. Go China! I like China, otherwise I wouldn't have spent almost 5 years here, but if you expect a Chinese person to speak openly to an outsider about the current situation you are just being obtuse. They won't. In some cases, they can't. If she does indeed work for a government agency as you suggest, then there is no chance she would ever say anything negative to you about her situation, no matter the reality.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:34 pm

Heartbreaking death of Kai Chang, a movie director, and his family in Wuhan. (From last Sunday's bulletin in Chinese Church I attend)

"On New Years Eve, I obeyed the order and cancelled the New Year's Eve Banquet in the luxury hotel. I managed to cook myself, with my parents and my wife gathering together and enjoying the dinner. I didn't know the nightmare was coming. My father became very sick. We sent him to a number of hospitals for treatment, but there were no beds available.

Many people helped, but it was still difficult to find a bed. In disappointment we went home took care of him ourselves. A few days later he passes away.

My mother was exhausted and caught the coronavirus as well. She passed away, following my father. During the time when we served our parents the ruthless coronavirus attacked me and my beloved wife. We went to various hospitals and begged in tears, but no bed for us. Now we missed the opportunity to be healed. I write to you and my son in London: I been a good son, a caring father, a loving husband and an honesty man. Farewell! My love and those who love me."

Here is a newspaper article that describes his death. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-chinese-film-director-family-wuhan-covid-19
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DaileyB
Heartbreaking death of Kai Chang, a movie director, and his family in Wuhan. (From last Sunday's bulletin in Chinese Church I attend)

"On New Years Eve, I obeyed the order and cancelled the New Year's Eve Banquet in the luxury hotel. I managed to cook myself, with my parents and my wife gathering together and enjoying the dinner. I didn't know the nightmare was coming. My father became very sick. We sent him to a number of hospitals for treatment, but there were no beds available.

Many people helped, but it was still difficult to find a bed. In disappointment we went home took care of him ourselves. A few days later he passes away.

My mother was exhausted and caught the coronavirus as well. She passed away, following my father. During the time when we served our parents the ruthless coronavirus attacked me and my beloved wife. We went to various hospitals and begged in tears, but no bed for us. Now we missed the opportunity to be healed. I write to you and my son in London: I been a good son, a caring father, a loving husband and an honesty man. Farewell! My love and those who love me."

Here is a newspaper article that describes his death. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-chinese-film-director-family-wuhan-covid-19
So if we assume that this virus has a case fatality rate of 2%, the chance that it would kill 4 people in the same family like that (assuming that each case is independent) is (0.02)^4 or 1 in 6.25 million. The interesting thing is that the guy's wife (whom I'm assuming is not related to him by blood) is in serious condition but the article doesn't mention that she died. Now I would think that either the strain that infected them was a lot more serious than others, it's pure 1/6.25M coincidence, or perhaps there's some genetic susceptibility to this?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:20 am

Programs: BA - Blue
So if we assume that this virus has a case fatality rate of 2%, the chance that it would kill 4 people in the same family like that (assuming that each case is independent) is (0.02)^4 or 1 in 6.25 million. The interesting thing is that the guy's wife (whom I'm assuming is not related to him by blood) is in serious condition but the article doesn't mention that she died. Now I would think that either the strain that infected them was a lot more serious than others, it's pure 1/6.25M coincidence, or perhaps there's some genetic susceptibility to this?
Way OT but your calculation assumes even distribution of odds, which is flawed. Risk of death in older people much higher, let's say both parents over 80, in which case 15% each. And the chap himself around 1%. So the odds would be 0.15x0.15x0.01, which is about 1/4000 of all three dieing. Given it's likely more than 100k people have the infeciton in Wuhan, then it doesn't appear so unlikely after all...

Also, they failed to receive medical attention, which would actually increase those odds of death substantially...

tb
DaileyB and bobbytables like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
What about Italy? That's a pretty western country, and it's now got multiple cities under quarantine. If they have to quarantine the Bay Area to stop the spread of this virus, I'd accept that I can't leave in order to protect other people outside of the Bay Area, and I think most people would be able to understand that. Nobody would like it of course, but the vast majority would be able to understand why it has to be done. However, what I absolutely would not tolerate would be people firewalling my internet connection while I am stuck at home, and trying to prevent me from getting or sending information about the event that was keeping me at home in the first place.
My BOLD,
So far in the Bay Area, Santa Clara County & City of San Francisco had declared "State of Emergency" due to Coronavirus outbreak.
Sorry, I know this is OT.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...y-15083811.php

Last edited by allset2travel; Feb 27, 2020 at 4:02 pm Reason: edit to add link
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:33 pm

I was in touch with 2 contacts I have in Wuhan and apparently the situation is substantially better. This video shows a closed temporary hospital in Wuhan.
Don't pay much attention to what government says, but the picture of the empty hospital is reasonable evidence of a better situation to me. Also, this link discusses improvement in the situation. https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/13/evolving-epidemiology-and-impact-of-non-pharmaceutical-interventions-on-the-outbreak-of-coronavirus-disease-2019-in-wuhan-china/ Many of the comments are very interesting.

There are reasonable reasons to believe that outbreak in US won't be as bad as some of the worst case scenarios.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:38 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
I was in touch with 2 contacts I have in Wuhan and apparently the situation is substantially better.
Wuhan Jiayou!
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:44 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Meanwhile, in Hubei's southerly neighbor:

China: par for the course
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
H5N1, please no!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:42 pm

Swine flu..Avian flu..Ebola..SARS..HIV..Covid19

Maybe better to go vegan worldwide.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Swine flu..Avian flu..Ebola..SARS..HIV..Covid19

Maybe better to go vegan worldwide.
Or at least lay off the pangolins for a while.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:52 pm

I just talked to a friend from Wuhan, and she had a number of interesting things to say. 1. The lockdown is enforced by community volunteers. If they see someone in the streets, they tell that person to go back inside. 2. They do their grocery shopping in a group organized method. Several people are chosen by their neighbors to get food for everyone. Everyone stays 5 meters away from each other in the stores. It does look like individualized shopping will be permitted soon, though. 3. The mortality rate varies significantly depending on the area and the quality of hospital care. Some hospitals are not very good. 4. For those people not allowed to return to their homes (For instance, Wuhan people stuck in Shanghai), the government pays their hotel bills. 5. She lost 2 elderly relatives.

Personally, when Wuhan went on lockdown, I thought that after a week or so, having observed Chinese people pay no attention to traffic rules, that it would explode with people rebelling. I was wrong about that. Their social distancing and lockdown seems to have worked, which is a very good thing.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:12 pm

I just talked to a friend from Wuhan, and she had a number of interesting things to say. 1. The lockdown is enforced by community volunteers. If they see someone in the streets, they tell that person to go back inside. 2. They do their grocery shopping in a group organized method. Several people are chosen by their neighbors to get food for everyone. Everyone stays 5 meters away from each other in the stores. It does look like individualized shopping will be permitted soon, though. 3. The mortality rate varies significantly depending on the area and the quality of hospital care. Some hospitals are not very good. 4. For those people not allowed to return to their homes (For instance, Wuhan people stuck in Shanghai), the government pays their hotel bills. 5. She lost 2 elderly relatives.

Personally, when Wuhan went on lockdown, I thought that after a week or so, having observed Chinese people pay no attention to traffic rules, that it would explode with people rebelling. I was wrong about that. Their social distancing and lockdown seems to have worked, which is a very good thing.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend's relatives.

I wish US would adopt the policy of wearing masks in public.

Meiguo Jiayou!

Never expected the degree of outbreak here in US. What a complete failure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.