Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
But still, very early days...next 10 days will be key imo.
Agreed.

Any speculation/guests/conjectures on the odds this may spread to city like Shanghai, to the point where the it may be sealed off?

Granted this is pure speculation on my part, I'm just trying to gauge the odds of this thing spreading quickly enough for a city like Shanghai to be quarantined. While I'd wager even if contracted, I'm at an age and in good enough health where I'd ultimately survive, but certainly would rather not risk it or having to endure the suffering. There's an element of risk even with all the necessary precautions, e.g., N95 surgical masks (picked up the 3M green ones, looks like crap), constant hand washing, carrying around desanitizer, sunglasses.

For the time being, I just may avoid dining in overly public places or on the plane. Even indoors, keep my mask & sun glasses on even while speaking.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: BA - Blue
If it comes to quarantining Shanghai, this thing will be completely global by then...so it's never going to happen. There may well be short-term disruption of flights etc when one could get stranded: that's actually my biggest concern with an upcoming trip I have: I don't want to be stuck in Europe with my family back in Beijing...

tb
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and Visconti like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:39 am

If it comes to quarantining Shanghai, this thing will be completely global by then...so it's never going to happen. There may well be short-term disruption of flights etc when one could get stranded: that's actually my biggest concern with an upcoming trip I have: I don't want to be stuck in Europe with my family back in Beijing...
Perfectly understandable.

But, what's the old adage? The definition of a professional is one who does his best work even when he doesn't feel like it. I certainly don't feel like having to risk contracting exotic viruses, but the one thing in life that's absolutely essential is showing up. There's no way I'm going to flake and be branded yellow (no pun intended) for the rest of my life--so, let's roll the dice and hope I won't come up snake-eyes!
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:49 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Bamboo rats...marketed as koala.
Chinese Bamboo Rat, labelled wrongly

https://topick.hket.com/article/2176...AA%BF%E6%9F%A5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_bamboo_rat

(I admit to being a banana - I have no idea why anybody wants to eat that.)
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:51 am

My honest advice is, it depends...depends on what the 'showing up' is for, and the relative risks.

I'm a physician-scientist. I would/ have always turned up to medical work -- remember being sl. freaked out in 2014 during the Ebola outbreak, although thankfully never actually dealt with any cases, but just got on with it. But if it's non-essential travel and you don't live in China, even though I think absolute risks are low, no shame in re-scheduling...

tb
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
People have asked me before about monkeys in China..never seen them except at zoos. Find it hard to believe live bats are sold. Bats are notorious for carrying diseases not something you would want as a pet or surely not to eat.
I couldn’t resist. From Daily Mail. : |

Revolting footage shows Chinese woman eating a bat
https://mol.im/a/7920573
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:13 am

I'm a physician-scientist. I would/ have always turned up to medical work -- remember being sl. freaked out in 2014 during the Ebola outbreak, although thankfully never actually dealt with any cases, but just got on with it.
We share a common belief then.

This isn't a leisure trip and while it's a social event, it's one that's important to my (our Firm's) host and I'm counted upon to foster and build this relationship. It's a trip where I have events in Japan and HK, and it would be a tremendous lost of face for my (my Firm's) host if I didn't show for his event while I did for the others. Since I'd take that as an affront, I'd expect nothing less from anyone else.

My only out where everyone saves face would be if the US were to restrict travel to the area or if the PRC designate Shanghai off limits.

PS - Since you're a pro, may I ask you to purely speculate on something? As a middle aged male in perfect health, even I were to contract this virus, I'd still have good odds at surviving, right?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:32 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Taiwan just declared entry restriction on Wuhan residents. PRC travellers will be checked for their resident city on their Mainland Resident Travel Permits at boarding or if they're travelling by some other document, their PRC identity cards (NowTV HK).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:47 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by Visconti
There's an element of risk even with all the necessary precautions, e.g., N95 surgical masks (picked up the 3M green ones, looks like crap), constant hand washing, carrying around desanitizer, sunglasses.
Crew members in biohazard suits? Really!
This is absurd.

The travel industry is stepping up precautionary measures against the virus originating from central China that’s killed four people and infected hundreds, with at least one airline starting to equip planes with hazardous-materials suits for cabin crew.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Feb 29, 2020 at 10:12 am Reason: Fixed quote tags
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:00 am

The travel industry is stepping up precautionary measures against the virus originating from central China that’s killed four people and infected hundreds, with at least one airline starting to equip planes with hazardous-materials suits for cabin crew.
LOL...not a joking matter, I know; but, which Airline?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:17 am

Going by cases so far, older people with co-morbidities are the ones who have died...but it's only a handful of confirmed deaths so far. If we're talking thousands and thousands of deaths, I would put younger/ healthy as lower risk, but nothing is certain in these issues...

tb
MSPeconomist and Visconti like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:26 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by Visconti
LOL...not a joking matter, I know; but, which Airline?

Korean Air Lines is equipping planes with hazmat suits and plans to carry out daily disinfection of planes flying to Wuhan - as opposed to monthly. The country saw its first confirmed case of the new coronavirus on Monday.
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/ai...ps-planes-with

Can you imagine boarding an airliner, where flight crew are wearing parachutes..or boarding a cruise liner where captain of ship is wearing a life vest?
Visconti likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
PS I'm not saying that the practices are not unsavoury, they are...but heck, the majority of the world has a load of unsavoury practices...this is not surprising.
Originally Posted by helvetic
Hahahaha the idea that a Chinese wet market has health inspectors…

You should travel outside of the bay area sometime and see the condition that 95% of the world lives in. The stuff in that picture is gross, but incredibly common.
Well the thing is, there's a big difference between when this type of stuff happens in say rural Africa, vs in one of the largest cities in China, and one that's well connected globally, with an international airport and is a HSR hub to the rest of the most populous country on Earth. If something jumps from animals to humans in rural Africa, and it happens to be as deadly as Ebola and have the same basic reproduction number as mumps or rubella, you might have some hope of containing it, since people there don't travel very far or fast.

But allowing this to happen in a city the size of New York, where people are wealthy enough to come and go every day, is simply irresponsible. I'm not sure if China can immediately get rid of the practice nationwide but it should be able to rid at least its major cities with airports and HSR stations of such things. It is definitely wealthy enough to do at least that much. Plus it's already illegal to sell certain types of animals in this manner and every report I've seen says that officials turned a blind eye to it. Who are those folks and why did they not enforce the law? Those are the folks you need to nail to the wall after you finally contain this.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by STS-134; Jan 23, 2020 at 9:33 am
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Things are going in interesting direction....

Singapore (hello from here), India and Saudi Arabia are reporting their first cases.

news.bbc.com has live reporting now.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:54 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by STS-134
Plus it's already illegal to sell certain types of animals in this manner and every report I've seen says that officials turned a blind eye to it. Who are those folks and why did they not enforce the law? Those are the folks you need to nail to the wall after you finally contain this.
China + illegal animal markets? You don't say?

I'm amazed the region (including ASEAN) doesn't have more coronaviruses, considering how valuable endangered species/tusks/ingredients for male "virility" can be.

Anyway, the bug has spread to Guangdong, too. HK border closure imminent? I know that mainland numbers to the HKSAR(S) has dropped, but there's still traffic.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.