Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
This thread has become a valuable resource on Corona Virus/COVID-19 in general and no longer just about its impact on China travel. In order for the thread to remain fact-based and useful, posters are reminded to keep it free of speculation, conjecture and fear-mongering. Posts which do not meet these guidelines or which break the FT rules may be edited or deleted. Please observe the following FT rules in particular:

- be respectful and helpful
- stay on topic
- posts must be contributive to the thread
- inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative posts are not allowed
- repetitively posting comments of the same general theme is not permitted
- abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing or otherwise offensive posts will not be tolerated
- do not post comments on moderator decisions

FlyerTalk Senior Moderator Team

The following two links are updated daily:
IATA international transit / arrival policies Coronavirus Outbreak - Update
WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation reports

Counters / Meters : Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to COVID-19:

General (in this forum)
Location-specific
Airlines
Hotels
Other
Please add other discussions on FlyerTalk pertaining to COVID-19 not already been included in this WikiPost. Thank you.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:12 am

I know I'm jumping the gun here, but if there are significant travel warnings to China (right now it's at CDC level 2, so I guess I'm envisioning if it goes to level 3), would airlines typically offer refunds / rebooking? We are supposed to go to China in a couple of months on BA and my husband has lupus, so we don't want to to take any unnecessary risks, but also don't want to lose a couple grand on our plane tickets.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:40 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
"Aircraft will land in an isolated part of Terminal 4, before being met by a health team, a government source said."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51202216
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by Caroline Scott
I know I'm jumping the gun here, but if there are significant travel warnings to China (right now it's at CDC level 2, so I guess I'm envisioning if it goes to level 3), would airlines typically offer refunds / rebooking? We are supposed to go to China in a couple of months on BA and my husband has lupus, so we don't want to to take any unnecessary risks, but also don't want to lose a couple grand on our plane tickets.
If a travel advisory is issued by your country of residence, your travel insurance should allow you to cancel. If no insurance, in such circumstance, BA may allow change of dates, but may not allow refunds...difficult to say at this point in time.

tb
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:19 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by percysmith
"Aircraft will land in an isolated part of Terminal 4, before being met by a health team, a government source said."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51202216
This approach is eminently sensible with 3 flights a week into the UK from Wuhan...the US statement upthread remains crazyland...

tb
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Xinhua news estimated 3 billion trips started Jan 10. The pots gonna be boiling soon.
A while ago, I saved this map that I found interesting, which, if I recall correctly, is a comparison of Chinese high-speed rail lines between 2008 and 2018 (it was for a class example comparing public transportation across countries). Looking at Wuhan at the convergence of so many of those lines is not comforting....

Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:51 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by mechteach
A while ago, I saved this map that I found interesting, which, if I recall correctly, is a comparison of Chinese high-speed rail lines between 2008 and 2018 (it was for a class example comparing public transportation across countries). Looking at Wuhan at the convergence of so many of those lines is not comforting....
Its a tough call, in 02-03 when you have a viral outbreak a month or 2 before CNY do you impose travel restrictions? Now an outbreak smack in the middle of CNY. I think public awareness and voluntary compliance on reduction in travel will be a big factor in controlling the spread of the virus. Plan for the worst, Hope for the best.
mechteach likes this.

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Jan 22, 2020 at 10:12 am
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Caroline Scott
It is very likely that in a situation of travel warnings (as happened with SARS in 2003), airlines flying to China will offer penalty-free rebooking/date change, or change of destination, or vouchers of equal value for flights in their network. Outright cash refunds are less commonly offered. If your trip is not for a couple of months, I would wait for at least 4 weeks and then reassess.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
According to BBC News: Wuhan will be shutting down public transportation.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
According to BBC News: Wuhan will be shutting down public transportation.
How can a city of 11 million function? E-Bikes, bicycles, mopeds, cars, trucks, e-scooters, motorcycles, feet.......WOW

Bus, subway, ferry, and long-distance transport networks will be suspended from 1000 local time on 23 January.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Looks like Wuhan is being quarantined:

Seventeen people have died from a mysterious coronavirus in China, and more than 544 people have been infected across six countries. The virus, which is marked by fevers and pneumonialike symptoms, originated in Wuhan, an 11 million-person city in China's Hubei province.

On Wednesday, local disease-control authorities in Wuhan issued an order to quarantine the city, which is slated to go into effect on Thursday at 10 a.m. local time. The order stops all public transportation, including city buses, trains, and ferries. It also prevents any buses or trains from coming into or leaving the city and grounds all planes at the Wuhan airport.

According to Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director-general of the World Health Organization, this move will not only help Chinese authorities control the outbreak in the country but also "minimize the chances of this outbreak spreading internationally."
Link:
https://www.businessinsider.com/wuha...re-city-2020-1
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
Looks like Wuhan is being quarantined:

Link:
https://www.businessinsider.com/wuha...re-city-2020-1
That and some other very strict measures were the reason China ended the SARS crisis in May 2004, after initial fumbling that led to the firings of the Health Minister and Mayor of Beijing in April 2003. Hopefully it will work faster this time.
Visconti likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:06 pm

Blogger laowhy86 has stated that he thinks the government has a strong tendency to underplay the severity of the virus. Also, he talked to a doctor friend who stated that the virus had spread to a city not mentioned by Chinese authorities. See
. (Why Conavirus is much worse than you think on Youtube)

Am concerned for my children's relatives who live in Wuhan.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
That and some other very strict measures were the reason China ended the SARS crisis in May 2004, after initial fumbling that led to the firings of the Health Minister and Mayor of Beijing in April 2003. Hopefully it will work faster this time.
Hindsight is 20/20, but I had hoped the PRC would have reacted aggressively to contain this the moment this thing popped up. Perhaps, we wouldn't have to deal with some of these cases spreading around the world.

The PRC needs to do whatever is required to contain this thing.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by DaileyB
Blogger laowhy86 has stated that he thinks the government has a strong tendency to underplay the severity of the virus. Also, he talked to a doctor friend who stated that the virus had spread to a city not mentioned by Chinese authorities. See https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VLp8CHeKQkl. (Why Conavirus is much worse than you think on Youtube)

Am concerned for my children's relatives who live in Wuhan.
CMilk and Winston produced some great content while in China. Now they are fixing junk cars in San Diego. Their new youtube channel Worthless Whips

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Jan 22, 2020 at 6:48 pm
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Curious for thoughts. I'm considering booking China Eastern JFK-PVG-SIN roundtrip, March 5-15. MU and CA are offering roundtrip business fares for ~$2000 -- at least 33% less than anyone else. My concern is whether it's wise to book a nonrefundable ticket that connects, for a respective 4 and 8 hours, in Shanghai without any real sense of how the viral spread will look in 6-7 weeks. I realize this may come off as hyper cautious, and I also figure PVG will be working overtime to maintain hygiene. But I'm wondering if it makes sense to wait a few weeks or just avoid Chinese transit outright.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.