Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Importing air purifier to China

Old Jan 17, 20, 11:15 am
Original Poster

I'm looking to bring an air purifier (bought in the UK) to PEK via hand luggage. A couple of questions:
  1. The product is made in China but sold in the UK; therefore it doesn't have a China Compulsory Certificate (CCC, wikipedia: China_Compulsory_Certificate) mark on it. It does have a CE mark (wikipedia: CE_marking) but this isn't relevant. Will customs have an issue with this? It's about the size of a carry-on luggage.
  2. If there's a risk bringing it through customs, is it better to buy one locally? I can't ship it at the moment and would imagine customs issues (if relevant) would exist even if I could. Is it best to buy one on JD?
Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 20, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by gudugan View Post
I'm looking to bring an air purifier (bought in the UK) to PEK via hand luggage. A couple of questions:
  1. The product is made in China but sold in the UK; therefore it doesn't have a China Compulsory Certificate (CCC, wikipedia: China_Compulsory_Certificate) mark on it. It does have a CE mark (wikipedia: CE_marking) but this isn't relevant. Will customs have an issue with this? It's about the size of a carry-on luggage.
  2. If there's a risk bringing it through customs, is it better to buy one locally? I can't ship it at the moment and would imagine customs issues (if relevant) would exist even if I could. Is it best to buy one on JD?
Thanks!
Buy it in China.
Old Jan 17, 20, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
Buy it in China.
Of course! Most of them are made here, and we can buy them online or at stores like Carrefour.

That having been said, one exception to the buy in China rule/concept is computers during sale periods in the USA. I'm not sure how the economics work, but Best Buy, Frye's, and Costco have extremely low prices during Q3.
Old Jan 18, 20, 2:10 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AF/KL Gold (ST EP), IHG Plat, ex-AB Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Of course! Most of them are made here, and we can buy them online or at stores like Carrefour.
True, few years back most electronics where more expensive in China than they were abroad - but since JD.com, taobao, Tmall, etc. that has changed.

Some high end Swiss or Swedish brands are more expensive in China though, but I was usually ok to buy Phillips etc., because after all I did not want to have the trouble with getting the filters from abroad all the time.

And after 13y in China, my heavy metal coated lungs are ok with bad air

Last edited by Joerch; Jan 18, 20 at 2:11 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 18, 20, 4:42 am

Programs: BA - Blue
I can't recall the details, but when we were shipping our household goods to China from the US some years ago, our agent specifically advised us against importing air purifiers (even though at that time there was a significant price differential) due to levied import duties.

Since OP is proposing to bring with them as hand luggage, less need to 'declare' upfront, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were stopped by customs -- they may then be waved through (most likely) or may have to pay some form of duty.

Given that Xiamoi make pretty decent air purifiers at a fraction of the cost of the major international players, I would recommend against importing because it just doesn't make financial sense.

tb
Old Jan 18, 20, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by gudugan View Post
Thanks!
Chinese customs does not really cares.

Do whatever you need to do. But please make sure you can make it work before bringing it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: