FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Importing air purifier to China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/2004844-importing-air-purifier-china.html)

gudugan Jan 17, 2020 10:15 am

Importing air purifier to China

I'm looking to bring an air purifier (bought in the UK) to PEK via hand luggage. A couple of questions:
  1. The product is made in China but sold in the UK; therefore it doesn't have a China Compulsory Certificate (CCC, wikipedia: China_Compulsory_Certificate) mark on it. It does have a CE mark (wikipedia: CE_marking) but this isn't relevant. Will customs have an issue with this? It's about the size of a carry-on luggage.
  2. If there's a risk bringing it through customs, is it better to buy one locally? I can't ship it at the moment and would imagine customs issues (if relevant) would exist even if I could. Is it best to buy one on JD?
Thanks!

travelinmanS Jan 17, 2020 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by gudugan (Post 31962420)
I'm looking to bring an air purifier (bought in the UK) to PEK via hand luggage. A couple of questions:
  1. The product is made in China but sold in the UK; therefore it doesn't have a China Compulsory Certificate (CCC, wikipedia: China_Compulsory_Certificate) mark on it. It does have a CE mark (wikipedia: CE_marking) but this isn't relevant. Will customs have an issue with this? It's about the size of a carry-on luggage.
  2. If there's a risk bringing it through customs, is it better to buy one locally? I can't ship it at the moment and would imagine customs issues (if relevant) would exist even if I could. Is it best to buy one on JD?
Thanks!

Buy it in China.

moondog Jan 17, 2020 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 31963252)
Buy it in China.

Of course! Most of them are made here, and we can buy them online or at stores like Carrefour.

That having been said, one exception to the buy in China rule/concept is computers during sale periods in the USA. I'm not sure how the economics work, but Best Buy, Frye's, and Costco have extremely low prices during Q3.

Joerch Jan 18, 2020 1:10 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31964256)
Of course! Most of them are made here, and we can buy them online or at stores like Carrefour.

True, few years back most electronics where more expensive in China than they were abroad - but since JD.com, taobao, Tmall, etc. that has changed.

Some high end Swiss or Swedish brands are more expensive in China though, but I was usually ok to buy Phillips etc., because after all I did not want to have the trouble with getting the filters from abroad all the time.

And after 13y in China, my heavy metal coated lungs are ok with bad air :rolleyes: ;)

trueblu Jan 18, 2020 3:42 am

I can't recall the details, but when we were shipping our household goods to China from the US some years ago, our agent specifically advised us against importing air purifiers (even though at that time there was a significant price differential) due to levied import duties.

Since OP is proposing to bring with them as hand luggage, less need to 'declare' upfront, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were stopped by customs -- they may then be waved through (most likely) or may have to pay some form of duty.

Given that Xiamoi make pretty decent air purifiers at a fraction of the cost of the major international players, I would recommend against importing because it just doesn't make financial sense.

tb

garykung Jan 18, 2020 5:09 am

Originally Posted by gudugan (Post 31962420)
Thanks!

Chinese customs does not really cares.

Do whatever you need to do. But please make sure you can make it work before bringing it.