Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Is my valid Visa (for China) in my expired passport still valid ?

Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,

I have a Chinese Tourist Visa good thru 2026 but just received a new passport. A quick search revealed from the US Gov that I should keep both passports with me and the visa is still valid as long as it’s the same nationality passport. American is strict with China visas I usually get my visa checked several times in the outbound station and connection before boarding. Has anyone had experience with this? Or should I just go to the China Consulate first to be on the safe side ?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It depends on the country. Check the specific rules for China and note that the USA government has no authority over mainland China government visa policies, nor should any USA government source be considered to be authoritative on such issues.

Check TIMATIC also as this is the information that airline agents will use in determining whether to board you or not.
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
in error
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
A valid Chinese visa in an expired passport is fine. I have a 10 year visa that I've used many times in an expired passport, and (maybe surprisingly) have never had any issues with AA at check in.
D3Kingg, Antarius, 839083c and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by SamOF
A valid Chinese visa in an expired passport is fine. I have a 10 year visa that I've used many times in an expired passport, and (maybe surprisingly) have never had any issues with AA at check in.
Ok. Thank you
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SamOF
Seconded. Same situation, entered China 4 times
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Thirded, when flying AA too.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
ESTA

Would this apply to a US ESTA ?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by Beano
Would this apply to a US ESTA ?
No..need new ESTA with new passport...

tb
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:26 am

Dilly dilly!
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have been carrying 2 passports for the last 7 years... (one of course expired)
never been an issue anywhere I have traveled.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:58 am

When I got my 10-year visa for China in my US passport, there was a note stapled in saying that it would remain valid after the expiration of the passport. So I'm not worried about that one.

Does anyone know how it works for India? Their consular website lists a fee for transferring an existing visa into a new passport, so it sounds like they make things more difficult… If that's the case I guess I'll continue using e-visas until I renew my passport.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just as an added caution which is not applicable to this particular situation, the last place to check is a US government website. The US determines who enters the US. China determines who enters China. If, by some chance, China changes its rules and requires a visa in a current passport, showing up with a print out of a foreign government's advice is laughable (to the Chinese).

TIMATIC is IATA's database and is kept up-to-date by IATA through liaison with foreign office contacts worldwide. If there is a change, it will be in TIMATIC (often before some nations' own websites).
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
This doesn't really have anything to do with AA, but more on visiting China. Therefore, I'll move this over to the China forum here on FlyerTalk.

aztimm
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:20 am

Your name also has to be the same in both the old and new passports.

And yes, India follows the same rule as China: you can enter with new passport and old passport with the visa. Can puzzle some hotel clerks though because they don't know which passport number to put in Form C (answer, the new one).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.