Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Foreign credit cards in China?

Old Oct 24, 19, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Discoverist

I’ve seen a few terminals with the Visa logo at places like 7-11 and the train station. However, none of my credit cards work. The only place where I never experienced any issues are at hotels. Otherwise, the cards are declined. Does anyone ether know why’
Old Oct 24, 19, 10:55 am

Sometimes shops just put a VISA decal on the door because it seems worldly.

Sometimes shops accept only Chinese VISA cards, not foreign ones.

Don't expect the person behind the counter to know what's going on. They just work there.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 24, 19, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I’ve seen a few terminals with the Visa logo at places like 7-11 and the train station. However, none of my credit cards work. The only place where I never experienced any issues are at hotels. Otherwise, the cards are declined. Does anyone ether know why’
UnionPay works at pretty much any venue that accepts credit cards, and there are some UP Visas/MCs (mostly issued by Chinese banks). Assuming your visa is not UP, it will not work in UP POS machines.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 24, 19, 1:43 pm

It has to be a visa on the UnionPay network.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 24, 19, 2:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
My UK issued IHG Rewards MasterCard worked at more places than I expected; in my experience some take it but don’t advertise the fact. Same for my Amex, to a lesser degree. Caveat YMMV - I know some British users have tried to register with Didi, for example, to find not a single one of their credit cards worked. That could be because the cards genuinely didn’t work, or because they’d fallen foul of some rule or other.
Old Oct 24, 19, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Discoverist
I thought Visa has its own network. I didn’t know Visa run out of UP. I thought it would be weird for Visa to discriminate against its own cards just cuz it’s foreign rather than Chinese.

Search this Thread