Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Opening Bank Account on Tourist Visa: For WeChat Pay

Opening Bank Account on Tourist Visa: For WeChat Pay

Old Nov 11, 19, 10:42 pm

As soon as Alipay announced, Wechat had to jump on the bandwagon, ready or not. Do not waste your time with Wechat until confirmed reports of success start coming through.

And do not believe every Wechat press release that gets published somewhere.
Old Nov 11, 19, 10:45 pm

Programs: Thai, Hyatt
From what I've been reading it's limited to credit cards. I assume that if you transfer money to someone then it could be a cash advance. If it's just credit cards then I don't see that much of an advantage. I use my UK credit card if I need to without any problem. Given the fees that banks in the Western world charge, I wouldn't want to be paying with wechat for small things anyway, I'll stick to cash for those. I don't pay fees on cash withdrawals from the ATM.
Old Nov 11, 19, 10:56 pm

I'm the reverse. I don't like fumbling around for change at the checkout counter or collecting a pocketful of coins and small bills I'll never spend, so I'm happy to use a card for small purchases when travelling. Yes, there's maybe a 2 percent charge, but that's offset by not leaving the country with a mound of useless small change.
Old Nov 11, 19, 11:01 pm

Programs: Thai, Hyatt
Yep, that's understandable. I spend about 9 months a year in China so I'm not fussed about small notes and coins. Same as for Thailand, I'm there often enough that I'm not fussed, but, yeah, it can be a pain collecting notes and coins from lost of counries I might never go to again.
Old Nov 12, 19, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Jeff Kerr View Post
Have you been able to do this? I tried again yesterday and I either get the usual "add mainland ID number" or card not supported. I can add card but it still doesn't work for me.
Not personally but a friend from Europe did and bought train tickets. I might try it tonite if I have time.
In the mean time read this https://www.thatsmags.com/shanghai/p...card-on-wechat

Last edited by JPDM; Nov 12, 19 at 9:10 am
Old Nov 12, 19, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by JPDM View Post
Academic now as Wechat pay will accept foreign credit cards. They already do to buy train tickets.
I just purchased train tickets from 12306 used my Capitol One Card (no fees) linked to Wechat Pay, strangely, apparently there is a daily limit (maybe 1000 RMB), as I was able to purchase one way ticket approx. 900 RMB, and had to purchase the return trip the second day.
Old Nov 12, 19, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bosco1 View Post
I just purchased train tickets from 12306 used my Capitol One Card (no fees) linked to Wechat Pay, strangely, apparently there is a daily limit (maybe 1000 RMB), as I was able to purchase one way ticket approx. 900 RMB, and had to purchase the return trip the second day.
Did you purchase on the 12306 website or app or in the Wechat app using the Wechat mini program?
Old Nov 12, 19, 6:33 pm

But that's not the same as using QR code for payments. You've long been able to use a foreign credit card on Alipay to pay for Taobao purchases, for example, without having to register with a Mainland bank account.

Let's wait to hear from someone who's used Wechat Pay at a supermarket with a QR code.
rjh and Cryofern like this.
Old Nov 12, 19, 9:05 pm

Spent alipay 2000rmb and not able to add money again. Funding failed error message

Not able to get wechat pay to work yet
Old Nov 13, 19, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by 889 View Post
But that's not the same as using QR code for payments. You've long been able to use a foreign credit card on Alipay to pay for Taobao purchases, for example, without having to register with a Mainland bank account.

Let's wait to hear from someone who's used Wechat Pay at a supermarket with a QR code.
Right. Apparently their are working on that. We'll see. In the mean time, Alipay works.
Old Nov 13, 19, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by sparkzone View Post
Spent alipay 2000rmb and not able to add money again. Funding failed error message

Not able to get wechat pay to work yet
I received funding failed message on Alipay the first time just after it became available. It took out 14 cents and refunded it.
I'm still listed as unverified after providing photo of my L visa.
Old Dec 13, 19, 10:32 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by JPDM View Post
Did you purchase on the 12306 website or app or in the Wechat app using the Wechat mini program?
Hi, I used 12306 app (IOS app)/linked with my WeChat pay (added Chinese bank cards and U.S. credit cards).

Search this Thread