Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Google maps not workingfor public transit ? - urgent

Old Jul 28, 19, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.

I have been to China several times and have always pulled up transit directions via Google Maps. I am going tomorrow and suddenly transit directions are not available in China?? Note, I am in the US as we speak, so this is not a great firewall issue... There are some Google threads on this - e.g. https://support.google.com/maps/thread/6867680?hl=en

Any alternatives? On Wikipedia it says Apple Maps gives you transit instructions but ONLY if you are in china? It says, "Full coverage (only available when viewed inside China)"
Are there any apps that work? Bing Maps seems to give me directions but there is an issue with the time at least and it says it will take 4 or 5 hours to get from Shanghai Pudong to Tomorrow Square.

Thanks
Old Jul 28, 19, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
This is par for the course with most of their apps. A lot of their infrastructure data is region blocked and only accessible once you are in China itself.

As a backup, you might want to download some alternative apps that have offline maps. Maps.me worked pretty well for me when I went a few weeks ago, but it will not have live transit data.
Old Jul 28, 19, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Explorer789 View Post
This is par for the course with most of their apps. A lot of their infrastructure data is region blocked and only accessible once you are in China itself.

As a backup, you might want to download some alternative apps that have offline maps. Maps.me worked pretty well for me when I went a few weeks ago, but it will not have live transit data.
Thanks - but so are you saying Google Maps will work in China? I thought Google was blocked in China?

I don't need live transit data, just something to say "To get from X to Y, take the #2 subway from A to B" - does maps.me do that?

Thanks
Old Jul 28, 19, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PVG to Tomorrow Square is easy. You just need a subway mak for Shanghai, and they're readily available on the internet, in English or Chinese, although if you need to use one of the newer subway lines, note that they're not all current.

Basically, you either take the subway and need to check what transfers between lines might be required or plan on doing Maglev and then taking the subway. It's easy.
Old Jul 28, 19, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@OP I'm guessing your mission is more complex than PVG to people's square, right? If so, give us more details and we can advise. Also be sure to download baidu maps plus offline data for places you're going to be. I love their subway station maps in particular especially for places like people's square, which have many exits.
Old Jul 28, 19, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr View Post
Thanks - but so are you saying Google Maps will work in China? I thought Google was blocked in China?

I don't need live transit data, just something to say "To get from X to Y, take the #2 subway from A to B" - does maps.me do that?

Thanks
Google Maps works in China - get a VPN. Which you should be doing anyway if you are visiting China. Now Google Maps, well, they haven't even had the data for the subway line to Disney for 3 years. In other words, according to Google Maps, Disney Resort Station on Line 11 doesn't even exist, even though it was built over 3 years ago.

Edit: actually, looks like it was recently added. So I wonder if they are overhauling the transit portion of their maps in China.
Old Jul 28, 19, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been to China several times and have always pulled up transit directions via Google Maps. I am going tomorrow and suddenly transit directions are not available in China?? Note, I am in the US as we speak, so this is not a great firewall issue... There are some Google threads on this

It seems like directions are working fine now.
Old Jul 28, 19, 6:24 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
If you have access to Apple Maps I have found it to be the most reliable "real time" map here in English. I have found google maps to have outdated, and at time outright wrong, data. Apple maps will give you transit options for both bus and metro.
Old Jul 28, 19, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post

does it let you pull up the public transit ones? That is what I need. Thanks
Old Jul 28, 19, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kmd0506 View Post
If you have access to Apple Maps I have found it to be the most reliable "real time" map here in English. I have found google maps to have outdated, and at time outright wrong, data. Apple maps will give you transit options for both bus and metro.
Is apple maps currently working? Google maps worked fine a few months ago and now none of the public transit directions are available?
Old Jul 28, 19, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
Google Maps works in China - get a VPN. Which you should be doing anyway if you are visiting China. Now Google Maps, well, they haven't even had the data for the subway line to Disney for 3 years. In other words, according to Google Maps, Disney Resort Station on Line 11 doesn't even exist, even though it was built over 3 years ago.

Edit: actually, looks like it was recently added. So I wonder if they are overhauling the transit portion of their maps in China.
i have tried multiple phones/computers today and none of the public transit instructions are working for Shanghai or Beijing - is it working from within China only? It is strange that it is not working at all from the US to pre- plan etc
Old Jul 28, 19, 6:54 pm

Driving directions work. Transit directions are currently not working.
Old Jul 28, 19, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

@OP I'm guessing your mission is more complex than PVG to people's square, right? If so, give us more details and we can advise. Also be sure to download baidu maps plus offline data for places you're going to be. I love their subway station maps in particular especially for places like people's square, which have many exits.
I just downloaded Baidu but how do I put it in English?

i was scheduled to goto Beijing but if I canít get a reliable transit app then I will have to goto Shanghai instead because I know I can just take the 2 Subway from Pudong to JW tomorrow square.
Old Jul 28, 19, 7:02 pm

i have tried multiple phones/computers today and none of the public transit instructions are working for Shanghai or Beijing - is it working from within China only? It is strange that it is not working at all from the US to pre- plan etc
What do you mean from "within China"? Anyone in China would be hitting Google Maps with a non China IP address - the IP address of his/her VPN. Transit directions are simply not working at all at this time.
Old Jul 28, 19, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, I see. Well, I'm also not in China now, and Baidu transit directions are working fine for me:

Last edited by moondog; Sep 7, 19 at 10:01 am

Search this Thread