FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Google maps not workingfor public transit ? - urgent (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1980522-google-maps-not-workingfor-public-transit-urgent.html)

Tedgrrrr Jul 28, 2019 3:31 pm

Google maps not workingfor public transit ? - urgent

I have been to China several times and have always pulled up transit directions via Google Maps. I am going tomorrow and suddenly transit directions are not available in China?? Note, I am in the US as we speak, so this is not a great firewall issue... There are some Google threads on this - e.g. https://support.google.com/maps/thread/6867680?hl=en

Any alternatives? On Wikipedia it says Apple Maps gives you transit instructions but ONLY if you are in china? It says, "Full coverage (only available when viewed inside China)"
Are there any apps that work? Bing Maps seems to give me directions but there is an issue with the time at least and it says it will take 4 or 5 hours to get from Shanghai Pudong to Tomorrow Square.

Thanks

Explorer789 Jul 28, 2019 3:39 pm

This is par for the course with most of their apps. A lot of their infrastructure data is region blocked and only accessible once you are in China itself.

As a backup, you might want to download some alternative apps that have offline maps. Maps.me worked pretty well for me when I went a few weeks ago, but it will not have live transit data.

Tedgrrrr Jul 28, 2019 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789 (Post 31352183)
This is par for the course with most of their apps. A lot of their infrastructure data is region blocked and only accessible once you are in China itself.

As a backup, you might want to download some alternative apps that have offline maps. Maps.me worked pretty well for me when I went a few weeks ago, but it will not have live transit data.

Thanks - but so are you saying Google Maps will work in China? I thought Google was blocked in China?

I don't need live transit data, just something to say "To get from X to Y, take the #2 subway from A to B" - does maps.me do that?

Thanks

MSPeconomist Jul 28, 2019 4:05 pm

PVG to Tomorrow Square is easy. You just need a subway mak for Shanghai, and they're readily available on the internet, in English or Chinese, although if you need to use one of the newer subway lines, note that they're not all current.

Basically, you either take the subway and need to check what transfers between lines might be required or plan on doing Maglev and then taking the subway. It's easy.

moondog Jul 28, 2019 5:08 pm

@OP I'm guessing your mission is more complex than PVG to people's square, right? If so, give us more details and we can advise. Also be sure to download baidu maps plus offline data for places you're going to be. I love their subway station maps in particular especially for places like people's square, which have many exits.

STS-134 Jul 28, 2019 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr (Post 31352252)
Thanks - but so are you saying Google Maps will work in China? I thought Google was blocked in China?

I don't need live transit data, just something to say "To get from X to Y, take the #2 subway from A to B" - does maps.me do that?

Thanks

Google Maps works in China - get a VPN. Which you should be doing anyway if you are visiting China. Now Google Maps, well, they haven't even had the data for the subway line to Disney for 3 years. In other words, according to Google Maps, Disney Resort Station on Line 11 doesn't even exist, even though it was built over 3 years ago.

Edit: actually, looks like it was recently added. So I wonder if they are overhauling the transit portion of their maps in China.

moondog Jul 28, 2019 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr (Post 31352166)
I have been to China several times and have always pulled up transit directions via Google Maps. I am going tomorrow and suddenly transit directions are not available in China?? Note, I am in the US as we speak, so this is not a great firewall issue... There are some Google threads on this

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c1612b55e0.jpg
It seems like directions are working fine now.

kmd0506 Jul 28, 2019 6:24 pm

If you have access to Apple Maps I have found it to be the most reliable "real time" map here in English. I have found google maps to have outdated, and at time outright wrong, data. Apple maps will give you transit options for both bus and metro.

Tedgrrrr Jul 28, 2019 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31352618)

does it let you pull up the public transit ones? That is what I need. Thanks

Tedgrrrr Jul 28, 2019 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by kmd0506 (Post 31352624)
If you have access to Apple Maps I have found it to be the most reliable "real time" map here in English. I have found google maps to have outdated, and at time outright wrong, data. Apple maps will give you transit options for both bus and metro.

Is apple maps currently working? Google maps worked fine a few months ago and now none of the public transit directions are available?

Tedgrrrr Jul 28, 2019 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 31352500)
Google Maps works in China - get a VPN. Which you should be doing anyway if you are visiting China. Now Google Maps, well, they haven't even had the data for the subway line to Disney for 3 years. In other words, according to Google Maps, Disney Resort Station on Line 11 doesn't even exist, even though it was built over 3 years ago.

Edit: actually, looks like it was recently added. So I wonder if they are overhauling the transit portion of their maps in China.

i have tried multiple phones/computers today and none of the public transit instructions are working for Shanghai or Beijing - is it working from within China only? It is strange that it is not working at all from the US to pre- plan etc

STS-134 Jul 28, 2019 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31352618)

Driving directions work. Transit directions are currently not working.

Tedgrrrr Jul 28, 2019 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31352432)
@OP I'm guessing your mission is more complex than PVG to people's square, right? If so, give us more details and we can advise. Also be sure to download baidu maps plus offline data for places you're going to be. I love their subway station maps in particular especially for places like people's square, which have many exits.

I just downloaded Baidu but how do I put it in English?

i was scheduled to goto Beijing but if I can’t get a reliable transit app then I will have to goto Shanghai instead because I know I can just take the 2 Subway from Pudong to JW tomorrow square.

STS-134 Jul 28, 2019 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr (Post 31352693)

i have tried multiple phones/computers today and none of the public transit instructions are working for Shanghai or Beijing - is it working from within China only? It is strange that it is not working at all from the US to pre- plan etc

What do you mean from "within China"? Anyone in China would be hitting Google Maps with a non China IP address - the IP address of his/her VPN. Transit directions are simply not working at all at this time.

moondog Jul 28, 2019 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr (Post 31352693)

Ah, I see. Well, I'm also not in China now, and Baidu transit directions are working fine for me:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...446663daee.png