Reload this Page >

Google maps not workingfor public transit ? - urgent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google maps not workingfor public transit ? - urgent

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr

I just downloaded Baidu but how do I put it in English?

You don't. It doesn't exist.

i was scheduled to goto Beijing but if I can’t get a reliable transit app then I will have to goto Shanghai instead because I know I can just take the 2 Subway from Pudong to JW tomorrow square.
Every subway station has a map right on the machines that sell you the tickets. That map will tell you which way to go. It'll also tell you how much it costs. All machines have English mode on them as well. Use your maps to figure out what station you want to travel to, and use the maps on the machines to figure out how to get there. You don't need an app that tells you exactly which line(s) to take and when to wait for them. What do you think this is, the US, where we have crappy public transportation and trains that come with frequencies of 15 minutes or longer?
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

i was scheduled to goto Beijing but if I can’t get a reliable transit app then I will have to goto Shanghai instead because I know I can just take the 2 Subway from Pudong to JW tomorrow square.
Are you seriously saying that the availability of a transit app plays a role in your choice of destinations? Both Beijing and Shanghai are idiot proof, transit wise. In fact, I once lead a study abroad program for American high school students (with horrible Chinese skills), and not a single one of them had any issues getting around either city on subways, buses, and taxis.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:31 pm

I also like explorebj and exploresh. They are iOS/Android apps that are just subway maps (i.e. they don't do anything else), but they don't take up much space, and come in handy.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 28, 2019 at 11:22 pm
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by STS-134
You don't. It doesn't exist.

Every subway station has a map right on the machines that sell you the tickets. That map will tell you which way to go. It'll also tell you how much it costs. All machines have English mode on them as well. Use your maps to figure out what station you want to travel to, and use the maps on the machines to figure out how to get there. You don't need an app that tells you exactly which line(s) to take and when to wait for them. What do you think this is, the US, where we have crappy public transportation and trains that come with frequencies of 15 minutes or longer?
but ok - so let’s play it out - I am scheduled to stay at the Beijing Marriott Changping - how do I realistically find out what the closest subway station is? I just pulled it up on google maps and zoom in/out and nothing comes up re subway station. Can’t imagine finding the hotel on the subway map would be any easier?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by moondog
Are you seriously saying that the availability of a transit app plays a role in your choice of destinations? Both Beijing and Shanghai are idiot proof, transit wise. In fact, I once lead a study abroad program for American high school students (with horrible Chinese skills), and not a single one of them had any issues getting around either city on subways, buses, and taxis.
lol - yes. Can’t survive without transit app!! Did these kids use Google Maps?
miklcct likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat

but ok - so let’s play it out - I am scheduled to stay at the Beijing Marriott Changping - how do I realistically find out what the closest subway station is? I just pulled it up on google maps and zoom in/out and nothing comes up re subway station. Can’t imagine finding the hotel on the subway map would be any easier?
OMG, is it really that hard? See image below. Then cross reference with this map to figure out how to get there. https://www.travelchinaguide.com/ima...ing-subway.gif

Last edited by STS-134; Jul 28, 2019 at 8:06 pm
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:25 pm

The closet subway station is 昌平西山口 (Changping Xishan Kou), and here are the transit directions (AEX, to Line 13, to Changping Line)

Note that they are not joking about the 2 hour thing, and the station is still 2 km from the hotel. Meanwhile, here's the taxi route from the airport to the hotel.

All but the most die hard public transit advocates in our ranks would presumably spend the extra $30 on the taxi in the instant case (i.e. save over an hour, and avoid those transfers).

By the way, when you're up there, be sure to check out some of the hot springs. They have all sorts of styles. I think this is the one I liked the most, but I'm not positive because I haven't been in the past 5 years:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...r-Beijing.html

Last edited by moondog; Jul 28, 2019 at 11:25 pm
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:37 pm

lol - yes. Can’t survive without transit app!! Did these kids use Google Maps?
Yes, the trip was before smart phones hit the scene. That having been said, I never sent them to Changping!

Honestly, I don't think the Changping Line or the 949 bus will be of much help to you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changping_line

You see, you're at the last station, and even the first station (Xierqi) is widely regarded as the boondocks. I suppose if you want to check out Wudaokou, you could take the subway in, and grab a taxi/Didi back.

I hope you can find time to tell us about your travels up there. It is beautiful and clean (by Beijing standards), but very few tourists make the trek.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:02 pm

I guess that you are not going to Beijing for tourism if you are staying out there.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
I guess that you are not going to Beijing for tourism if you are staying out there.
Ironically, Autonavi's HQ is a stone's throw from the Changping Marriott, but I honestly haven't heard of any other major companies that are in that neck of the woods; well, Baidu is sort of in the general area. Basically, when I think of Changping, only hot springs, golf, and hiking come to mind.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Google maps worked last week as long as I stayed on cellular data on my USA sim card.

Agree that PVG metro is very simple - maps are available everywhere and signs/announcements are in english.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Google maps worked last week as long as I stayed on cellular data on my USA sim card.

Agree that PVG metro is very simple - maps are available everywhere and signs/announcements are in english.
He will be using cars, if we wants to leave 昌平
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:16 am

Use a USA or Western SIM card in international roaming mode and you have access to the FULL internet without the Great Firewall.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:37 am

"I was scheduled to go to Beijing but if I can’'t get a reliable transit app then I will have to go to Shanghai instead because I know I can just take the 2 Subway from Pudong to JW Tomorrow Square."

On that basis, go to Shanghai! Or stay somewhere actually in urban Beijing. A transit app is near-useless if you're staying out in Changping.
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum

Is apple maps currently working? Google maps worked fine a few months ago and now none of the public transit directions are available?
Sorry for the delayed response, I use apple maps on an almost daily basis in Beijing, and it shows transit options for wherever I am looking to go. I have used it in Shanghai as well, but we usually walked or took DiDi when we have been down there. When I click on "transit" option on the map, it always shows the different exits from each train station. I have a local SIM, but my husband has the same options and he uses his US Sim a lot (on his dual sim phone). The directions on Apple Maps also include the appropriate stations exit to use....now finding the right station exit isn't always that easy but that's a different conversation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.