Google maps not workingfor public transit ? - urgent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google maps not workingfor public transit ? - urgent

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2021, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Ricebucket
It's really very simple... The maps China team was disbanded almost ten years ago. No one is working on it. The OP will find competitors' products to be much superior, including with regards to subway exits. Baidu even offers street view images for example.
Google doesn't own the underlying map data in China. They get it from Chinese data providers. The street map for Shanghai was up-to-date in 2019 but there has been no updates since.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by moondog
They still had brand new lines and exits marked until about 2 weeks ago. Although I liked google, I can get used to Baidu. I used to have AMAP (Chinese only because Android), but I deleted it during a recent app cleanse.
Both Google and Apple get their Chinese map data from AutoNavi which is basically the same as amap. Baidu runs its own mapping service and does not rely on AutoNavi.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 3:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm bumping this thread instead of starting a new one because it isn't that old, and the prior conversation is still somewhat relevant (concerning providing context).

I'm bumping it because it's recently occurred to me that the only map app I use that is up to speed with new subway lines/extensions, at least in Shanghai, is Baidu. A few other nods in Baidu's favor that I can think of are: 1. exact addresses (e.g. 12 Hengshan Rd instead of just Hengshan Rd), 2. live traffic conditions, 3. present locations for all types of public transit, and 4. integration with other apps.

My problem with Baidu is I find its UI to be much more confusing than some of the old staples (in large part because it tries to do so much). I'm curious to hear what you guys are using now along with the pros/cons. I have some experience with Tencent Maps because WeChat defaults to it (for obvious reasons), but I've never downloaded it standalone because I prefer keeping my devices app light.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:47 am

I'm bumping this thread instead of starting a new one because it isn't that old, and the prior conversation is still somewhat relevant (concerning providing context).

I'm bumping it because it's recently occurred to me that the only map app I use that is up to speed with new subway lines/extensions, at least in Shanghai, is Baidu. A few other nods in Baidu's favor that I can think of are: 1. exact addresses (e.g. 12 Hengshan Rd instead of just Hengshan Rd), 2. live traffic conditions, 3. present locations for all types of public transit, and 4. integration with other apps.

My problem with Baidu is I find its UI to be much more confusing than some of the old staples (in large part because it tries to do so much). I'm curious to hear what you guys are using now along with the pros/cons. I have some experience with Tencent Maps because WeChat defaults to it (for obvious reasons), but I've never downloaded it standalone because I prefer keeping my devices app light.
I use baidu. But i find them to be mostly identical to 高德 (autonavi) maps. Data quality for both are quite good, but not without bugs. Any new feature in either app gets copied pretty quickly to the other. So if you're trying to avoid apps that are not "trying to do so much" then maybe you won't like Autonavi either.

Apple Maps is "simpler" and use AutoNavi as a backend. So maybe you can try that, as it'd have top notch data quality. But I seem to remember you were on Android?

Tencent Maps just isn't as good IMO.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ricebucket
I use baidu. But i find them to be mostly identical to 高德 (autonavi) maps. Data quality for both are quite good, but not without bugs. Any new feature in either app gets copied pretty quickly to the other. So if you're trying to avoid apps that are not "trying to do so much" then maybe you won't like Autonavi either.

Apple Maps is "simpler" and use AutoNavi as a backend. So maybe you can try that, as it'd have top notch data quality. But I seem to remember you were on Android?

Tencent Maps just isn't as good IMO.
Thanks for your insights. You're right, I'm still mostly an Android person. I decided to install 高德 last night after reading your post to see if I prefer it to Baidu Maps. It's too soon for me to provide a comparative analysis, but I will say that I'm impressed with the prominently defined subway lines (a feature I like about maps.me). It also hasn't forced ads upon me during launch (yet?).
Old Nov 4, 2022, 9:59 pm

Thanks for your insights. You're right, I'm still mostly an Android person. I decided to install 高德 last night after reading your post to see if I prefer it to Baidu Maps. It's too soon for me to provide a comparative analysis, but I will say that I'm impressed with the prominently defined subway lines (a feature I like about maps.me). It also hasn't forced ads upon me during launch (yet?).
This is as close as you can get to Apple Maps on Android.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
My problem with Baidu is I find its UI to be much more confusing than some of the old staples (in large part because it tries to do so much).
Replace the word "Baidu" in that quoted part above with the name of EVERY other Chinese app!
They are all horrible from a UI point of view: pop-ups, ads, flashing gimmicks, gifts, discounts, cutesy animated cartoon mascots, etc. etc.... you name it: they ALL have it.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 1:30 am

All the local apps are full with ads and I hate it. Latest update on my cars Android player (Autonavi) start to show ads now and it is really annoying. Maybe one year ago you could even find the English version of it but now it is gone
Old Feb 19, 2023, 8:33 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
So just to summarize for anyone who's joining the conversation, there is no reliable English-interfaced map for Android. Apple Maps works well for Baidu.

You have a few options:
Baidu Maps - "heavy" interface (lots of ads and unwanted things, including their 'assistant'). Can search by typing pinyin. (Online + app)
AMap (高德) - provides public transport (incl. realtime departures) and has a lighter interface (less ads) than Baidu. Can search by typing pinyin. (Online + App)
Apple Maps (iPhone only) - decent interface. Search doesn't work very well. (iPhone App Only)
OSMAnd - OpenStreetMap based. Works on both iPhone and Android. offline navigation (you pre-download the maps). Quite decent IMHO for the basics, but no real-time traffic or anything. (App only. OSM also online though).
Maps.me - offline map.
Tencent Maps (腾讯地图)- 'meh interface' - nothing over AMap or Baidu.

Google Maps doesn't work in China. Period.

Any other good ones that I've missed?

Hiking:
-户外助手探索版 - crowdsourced tracks.
-OSMAnd
-Komoot
YariGuy likes this.

Last edited by Palal; Feb 19, 2023 at 11:14 pm
Old Feb 19, 2023, 8:34 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by CrissCrossChina
All the local apps are full with ads and I hate it.
It's like the same person wrote the interfaces everywhere, and all of them want to be platforms for everything...
It's interesting that in a country that has beautiful calligraphy, neither graphic nor UX/UI design is a thing...
Old Feb 19, 2023, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
So just to summarize for anyone who's joining the conversation, there is no reliable English-interfaced map for Android. Apple Maps works well for Baidu.

You have a few options:
Baidu Maps - "heavy" interface (lots of ads and unwanted things, including their 'assistant'). Can search by typing pinyin. (Online + app)
AMap (高德) - provides public transport (incl. realtime departures) and has a lighter interface (less ads) than Baidu. Can search by typing pinyin. (Online + App)
Apple Maps (iPhone only) - decent interface. Search doesn't work very well. (iPhone App Only)
OSMAnd - OpenStreetMap based. Works on both iPhone and Android. offline navigation (you pre-download the maps). Quite decent IMHO for the basics, but no real-time traffic or anything. (App only. OSM also online though).
Tencent Maps (腾讯地图)- 'meh interface' - nothing over AMap or Baidu.

Google Maps doesn't work in China. Period.

Any other good ones that I've missed?

Hiking:
-OSMAnd
-Komoot
Woyouzhijia
DIY travel on the road. Rental, campsites, and other travel information. Unfortunately only in Chinese. We use this one a lot while on the road
Old Feb 19, 2023, 9:56 pm

It's like the same person wrote the interfaces everywhere, and all of them want to be platforms for everything...
It's interesting that in a country that has beautiful calligraphy, neither graphic nor UX/UI design is a thing...
I have variations of this conversation with our main UI guy from time to time (e.g. when he tries to add unnecessary features or buttons to an otherwise clean interface). He certainly understands design principles and is capable of adhering to KISS, but his opinion is that Chinese people actually like apps that attempt to do a gazillion things. For food delivery, I used to rely on Sherpas until it basically stopped working during our lockdown because I liked its simplicity. Then I grudgingly switched to Meituan and Eleme. At first, I was annoyed by all of their silly bells and whistles, but I soon decided that their true functional advantages were compelling enough for me to justify enduring their insane UI.

My take on map apps is a little bit different. I was interested in getting detailed subway maps (including station entrance numbers) last summer so I started using Amap more. But, after I figured out most of what I needed to know, I went back to Maps.me because its interface is much more to my liking. I still keep Baidu Maps and Amap as backups though. Google Maps isn't really an option on my (post 2021) Huawei. I still have it on some of my other devices, and it really is kind of behind the times. I honestly don't mind the Exploreshanghai app (I think there's also an Explorebeijing). It is ridiculously simple (e.g. subways only), but it does come in handy when I'm just trying to figure out where to transfer or what stations are most convenient.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Hiking:
-OSMAnd
-Komoot
For hiking, I recommend the AllTrails app & website. Surprisingly good coverage across most of the country, and all in English.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Once, on a lark I turned on VPN and used Waze in Shanghai. To my surprise there was a user-supplied warning up ahead of a traffic jam. I then realized that I had put it there myself 10 minutes earlier before I turned back.
gudugan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.