Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Google maps not workingfor public transit ? - urgent

Google maps not workingfor public transit ? - urgent

Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This thread wouldn't exist if people didn't like maps.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:53 am

i assume that traveling around the globe is for exchanging culture and meeting new people
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:27 am

@Ricebucket - I am not saying that I don't believe you, just saying that I don't get this on my phone.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:16 am

AMAP ? search with query on baidu "AMAP.apk" and this will help you ^
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Apple maps DOES provide transit

I don't have an iPhone, but my wife does. Given the debate on this thread, I decided finally to check my wife's phone this morning (in Beijing)....and it did give transit (bus) directions...so that's a definite win for Apple, as much as I would hate to admit it. I drive mostly in Beijing, or otherwise take the subway, but I used to occasionally take the bus and the google maps transit functionality was great (as it still is in most countries)..it was a blow that it went away.

Despite what moondog says: Baidu maps is NOT user friendly for a tourist or very occasional business visitor to China. Having a full English interface is really necessary, and Apple maps provides that.

For someone who is a China resident, and especially who drives, Baidu maps is very useful, most importantly for pretty accurate timings in traffic jams/ accidents, which can add 30+ minutes to a journey. A few months ago we were in a cab to the airport and needed to make a stop on the way...traffic suddenly snarled up and we were in real danger of missing our flight (think 20 minutes to make a single left turn) even though I thought we had sufficient padding when we set off. I fired up Baidu maps and told the driver to take a different route to the one he was taking: he was NOT happy, because of course, he thinks he knows better than some stupid foreigner. The estimated traffic timings were reasonably spot on: with the new route, we got there with about 10 minutes to spare for the check-in cut-off and I don't think we would have made it otherwise.

tb
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by JPDM
@Ricebucket - I am not saying that I don't believe you, just saying that I don't get this on my phone.
FWIW my iPhone has always worked navigating while I'm in China. At the moment I'm not in China and it does indeed refuse to provide navigation for Chinese addresses.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
For someone who is a China resident, and especially who drives, Baidu maps is very useful, most importantly for pretty accurate timings in traffic jams/ accidents, which can add 30+ minutes to a journey. A few months ago we were in a cab to the airport and needed to make a stop on the way...traffic suddenly snarled up and we were in real danger of missing our flight (think 20 minutes to make a single left turn) even though I thought we had sufficient padding when we set off. I fired up Baidu maps and told the driver to take a different route to the one he was taking: he was NOT happy, because of course, he thinks he knows better than some stupid foreigner. The estimated traffic timings were reasonably spot on: with the new route, we got there with about 10 minutes to spare for the check-in cut-off and I don't think we would have made it otherwise.

tb
I also drive regularly in China and find Apple Map's live traffic data to be superior to Baidu. Apple is basically an English wrapper around amap in China.
moondog likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by tauphi
I also drive regularly in China and find Apple Map's live traffic data to be superior to Baidu. Apple is basically an English wrapper around amap in China.
Good to know...it won't make me switch to an iPhone...but will help in giving advice to visitors etc.

tb
moondog likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by JPDM
I just checked again now on my iPhona. I asked for direction from the Forbidden City to the Temple of Heaven. It says ""transit directions not available".
Have you actually tried it?
And transit should include buses otherwise there are tons of apps for subways.
It doesn’t work for me either. I just tried a test in Tokyo and got the same error message as you. I think I might have to be in China for this to work.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Problem with Apple Maps is that it's a no go on Android. Although, for major cities, as long as you have the coordinates of your destination, Google Maps works fine, for the most part. But they still haven't updated the maps data for the northern part of Kaifeng for example, despite me complaining to them about it multiple times (there are literally streets that have existed for at least 2 years but are not on the map).

As for transit directions, I'm not sure why it's necessary to have some app telling you exactly what train to get on. This isn't the US, where trains come every 15-20 minutes if you're lucky and 30-60 minutes normally, and trying to transfer at the wrong spot can add 30+ minutes to your journey. It's China, and the trains come every 3-5 minutes, so just look at the map of the metro system and use common sense about where to transfer. As for buses, even in the days when Google Maps would give limited information about buses, I never trusted it enough to rely on it. Always verify your map information in China so you don't end up choosing a hotel on the opposite side of the river in Shanghai from where your office is (my friend who works on Google Maps heard about this one for an entire weekend trip we took and I never stopped complaining about it the whole time).
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by STS-134
Problem with Apple Maps is that it's a no go on Android. Although, for major cities, as long as you have the coordinates of your destination, Google Maps works fine, for the most part. But they still haven't updated the maps data for the northern part of Kaifeng for example, despite me complaining to them about it multiple times (there are literally streets that have existed for at least 2 years but are not on the map).

As for transit directions, I'm not sure why it's necessary to have some app telling you exactly what train to get on. This isn't the US, where trains come every 15-20 minutes if you're lucky and 30-60 minutes normally, and trying to transfer at the wrong spot can add 30+ minutes to your journey. It's China, and the trains come every 3-5 minutes, so just look at the map of the metro system and use common sense about where to transfer. As for buses, even in the days when Google Maps would give limited information about buses, I never trusted it enough to rely on it. Always verify your map information in China so you don't end up choosing a hotel on the opposite side of the river in Shanghai from where your office is (my friend who works on Google Maps heard about this one for an entire weekend trip we took and I never stopped complaining about it the whole time).
While I rarely use buses, IME the buses themselves report their locations via GPS, and this data is usually quite reliable.

For subways, I generally agree that common sense trumps technology (e.g. the apps don't tell you how horrible certain transfers are). That having been said, whenever I'm going someplace new/different, I find the travel time estimates to be fairly useful. Additionally, it isn't always obvious which stations are the most convenient.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by moondog
While I rarely use buses, IME the buses themselves report their locations via GPS, and this data is usually quite reliable.

For subways, I generally agree that common sense trumps technology (e.g. the apps don't tell you how horrible certain transfers are). That having been said, whenever I'm going someplace new/different, I find the travel time estimates to be fairly useful. Additionally, it isn't always obvious which stations are the most convenient.
In SZ, Metro is very good with everything marked in English. I can manually navigate fine when I'm not with a native speaker. However, the buses are unusable for me since nothing is marked in English. I do occasionally take a bus from my office but I know the number and where to board and disembark after being told by a coworker.

Maybe I'm old, but I've never used navigation for public transit. I've worked in NYC for a long time and knew all the public transit routes before we had such things. When in SZ, I do use Baidu maps even though I can't read Chinese. It is searchable to an extent in English and I can get a destination and even use navigation. Most of the times I use it to show a taxi driver where I want to go since taxis are so cheap, not nearly as cheap as the Metro but very cheap compared to NYC taxi prices. Sometimes I use google maps to locate, then visually find the location in Baidu maps to show a driver or a local. Yeah, I wish Baidu maps was in English but I'd prefer Meituan in English more than Baidu.

With all that said, this laowai gets around. My first trip to SZ, I'd forgotten to pack some toiletries. Within 2 hours of arriving, I was in a taxi headed to a Walmart (not knowing about such things as Carrefour). On the way back, I couldn't get a taxi but there were some scooter guys around. I showed one of them the card from the hotel, made some hand gestures to negotiate a price and a minute later was riding on the back of a scooter while carrying my shopping bags. All of this without a working mobile phone since I had no data roaming on my Verizon phone. A few days later, I met my girlfriend who spoke little English at the time, sure offline google translate helped a bit with that.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by lsquare

It doesn’t work for me either. I just tried a test in Tokyo and got the same error message as you. I think I might have to be in China for this to work.
Yes Apple Map has some kind of a region lock so it won't work until you are actually in China. Presumably this is because of licensing restrictions on the underlying amap data.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:58 am
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
I've been using MetroMan and OsmAnd.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by tauphi
Yes Apple Map has some kind of a region lock so it won't work until you are actually in China. Presumably this is because of licensing restrictions on the underlying amap data.
I landed in Shanghai today and surprisingly neither Apple Maps or Google maps provide transit directions. Do I need to have a Chinese simcard? I’m roaming with my foreign simcard.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.