Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

What are nice gifts for young people, aged 18 to 30?

Old Jun 22, 19, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

I will be visiting Wuhan in a couple of weeks with my boy (18, entering college in the fall) and my daughter (13) and through some connections several young people have volunteered to show my children around. (They have aunts and uncles in Wuhan, most of whom are over 60) Would like to get them not too expensive stuff in the US that would be hard to get in China. For instance, 2 years ago, I visited a professor in Nanchang and brought some Lebron James T-Shirts, which were snapped up real quick. Someone has told me that Champion is a popular brand in China and I have also been told that women like cosmetics, cleansers and makeup. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jun 22, 19, 11:25 pm

https://www.tmall.com/mlist/cp_bGVic...szQ5HTQ9A.html

Which is to say it's really hard to think of anything "from the States" that'd interest kids that age that you can't pretty quickly find on Taobao or TMall these days. Maybe there are some movies/games that are restricted they'd like, I don't know.
Old Jun 23, 19, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889 View Post
https://www.tmall.com/mlist/cp_bGVic...szQ5HTQ9A.html

Which is to say it's really hard to think of anything "from the States" that'd interest kids that age that you can't pretty quickly find on Taobao or TMall these days. Maybe there are some movies/games that are restricted they'd like, I don't know.
I disagree. Girls seem to love handbags from brands that don't have a presence in China. For guys, I typically go to Costco in order to find something cool, even a shirt (boring, I know).
Old Jun 24, 19, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another thought. While you should definitely research import restrictions, fresh produce and fish/meats cost a fortune in Wuhan (in Shanghai, we have Avocado Lady who leveled the playing field).
Old Jun 24, 19, 12:49 am

No research necessary!

You can't bring fresh fruits and vegetables into Mainland China. They'll pick them up on xray, confiscate and weigh them, take your passport, scan it, and give you a receipt for so many kilos of apples or whatever. You'll then be in the system, so don't do it again.
Old Jun 24, 19, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889 View Post
No research necessary!

You can't bring fresh fruits and vegetables into Mainland China. They'll pick them up on xray, confiscate and weigh them, take your passport, scan it, and give you a receipt for so many kilos of apples or whatever. You'll then be in the system, so don't do it again.
Good point; I honestly didn't know the rules.

For girls, I'm thinking Michael Kors purses. They are really cheap in the US, and are more unique than LV.

I need to think more about young men.
Old Jun 24, 19, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Young people?

Money...money...money...
Old Jun 24, 19, 9:22 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
A lot of young Chinese men love the NBA, so any NBA/basketball branded items which can be cheap and plentiful in the US may be desired. On the cheap side, posters, NBA branded basketballs or other collectibles (team jerseys for example) especially with LeBron James (younger), Kobe Bryant or Micheal Jordan (for the older ones). On the more expensive side genuine collectibles like signed pictures, balls and jerseys would make a big hit with a basketball fan.

Genuine Adidas and Nike branded clothing and footwear is much cheaper in the US and is always a hit with my girlfriend's sons (aged 12 & 16). A younger Chinese man would probably love a pair of genuine Air Jordans, sure knockoffs are plentiful on Taobao, but the real thing is always more desirable. In the past, I have bought some cheap Russel and Champion active wear from Walmart and Target, shorts & nylon shirts for my girlfriends boys and nephews, not so much as gifts but for every day wear, and it's always well received and she is so surprised when I tell her how cheap it is. Her older son always wants me to bring Adidas or Nike sweat pants, shirts and shoes.

In general, clothing is much cheaper in the US from luxury brands down to cheap Walmart stuff of comparable quality. Cheaper genuine designer brand stuff like Micheal Kors, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Diesel, Swarovski, etc or the more luxury stuff like Coach, LV, Burberry, etc is also much cheaper and knowing that it's genuine is part of the allure. A young woman might be delighted with a $100 Swarovski necklace that they see in the malls over there for 2000 RMB or more. @moondog suggested a Micheal Kors handbag.

If you get any clothing just be aware of the size differences, Medium in the US is not Medium in China, the Chinese sizes are usually 1 or 2 down from US sizes so if they wear L in China that could very well be S in US. Sizing out shoes can be complicated also since they use a different system.

Cosmetics and fragrances are also a big winner for the ladies. A lot of Chinese really like Chanel, although that might be for the older ones. A 50ml bottle of Chanel Eau Tendre costs around $100 in the US, it's probably more than double that in HK where a lot of Chinese women go to get such things. Lancome, Gurerlain, L'Oreal, Clinique, etc facial cleansers and cosmetics are all popular. Just hopping into any Macy's or Lord & Taylor in the US and buying one of the those cosmetic gift sets would be well received.

It's not so much that they can't get these things in China, it's just that these types of things are so much cheaper in the US.

An interesting novelty I once brought was a pack of double stuff Oreo cookies. The Oreos they sell in China are thinner than the ones in the US and have less sugar. So bringing double stuffed from America was interesting and they could all joke about no wonder Americans are so fat! Also one time, I bought a bunch of convenience store snack foods, like Twinkies, Yodels, Little Debby cakes, etc. Not that they liked them but just interesting like when I bring back Chinese convenience food items to the US like packaged Chicken feet, black eggs, stinky tofu, etc. and people in the US are amazed by that. Many of my coworkers make a stop at Costco before coming and buy big snack items for the office in Shenzhen like chocolate covered almonds, etc.
Old Jun 24, 19, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Different issue (colleagues, not friends - and not necessarily all "young) but we also would go to Costco and get lots of chocolate to bring over for meetings. Also I work at a university with a pretty impressive basketball history, so logo wear from the school is very popular.

[one of my good friends lived in France for years - when we visited her, we brought jelly beans and hot sauces - things she missed and couldn't easily/affordably find - but with her I could just ask, much easier than gifts for unknown people]
Old Jun 24, 19, 1:15 pm

My oldest will be in Xi'an for more than a month to study Mandarin. Regarding gifts, I had asked someone I know who is from China for suggestions, and was basically advised to get luxury goods costing much more than we were planning to spend (e.g., Apple watch, Coach bag), in addition to being excessive from a certain perspective. So we opted for some local-ish stuff, In-n-Out t-shirts (70th anniversary; I know, hey, wow, but In-n-Out does popup stores in China and Korea from time to time...), some local honey (family in Asia really likes that, honey in Asia is sometimes cut with corn syrup), and some other little items. Oldest is severely restricted from a luggage perspective, so we did what we could. If oldest son was in college, we probably would have opted for college stuff, but no such connection at this time, or if he wasn't a minor, wine or booze, but anyway...

Search this Thread