Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Are lighter allowed flying into Beijing Capital Intl.

Are lighter allowed flying into Beijing Capital Intl.

Old Jun 22, 19, 1:05 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Are lighter allowed flying into Beijing Capital Intl.

Are we allowed to bring in a Bic disposable lighter into Beijing Capital Airport? Coming from Australia. If so, do we need to declare it at red channel? If not, where can we purchase one after customs? Thanks.
misty1919 is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 11:51 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4,631
It appears to me that they are strictly prohibited through any security. Not sure about where to purchase later, sorry.

In any case, welcome to flyertalk!

edit: actually I'm not sure if I know your question. If you are arriving with a lighter, no problem. However, if you go through security for any reason, any lighter has to be discarded.
fumje is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 6:23 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
It appears to me that they are strictly prohibited through any security. Not sure about where to purchase later, sorry.

In any case, welcome to flyertalk!

edit: actually I'm not sure if I know your question. If you are arriving with a lighter, no problem. However, if you go through security for any reason, any lighter has to be discarded.
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated!
misty1919 is offline  
Old Jun 23, 19, 3:27 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,200
Bringing them in is fine, but out is not.
moondog is offline  
Old Jun 23, 19, 4:00 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Programs: SQ - KrisFlyer
Posts: 1,274
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
edit: actually I'm not sure if I know your question. If you are arriving with a lighter, no problem. However, if you go through security for any reason, any lighter has to be discarded.
Lighters are allowed through security. Thats why we get the occasional report of people smoking in bathrooms.
FN-GM is offline  
Old Jun 23, 19, 4:14 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 133
As mentioned above, flying in with a lighter is not a problem, depending the policy of your departure airport. In case it is confiscated there are some shops in T3 landside that sell cigarettes, I assume lighters would be available too. But when flying out of PEK lighters are not allowed to security.
flyslow is offline  
Old Jun 23, 19, 6:41 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Thanks everyone! I knew re not allowing lighters to be taken out, but couldn't find any info on entry. Again, thanks!
misty1919 is offline  
Old Jun 26, 19, 2:55 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Posts: 5,649
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Bringing them in is fine, but out is not.
Yes, the big bin of discarded lighters at the security checkpoint is testimony to that.

(Although perhaps some enterprising person hawks the content of those bins somewhere landside . . . )
drewguy is offline  
Old Jun 26, 19, 3:23 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,200
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Yes, the big bin of discarded lighters at the security checkpoint is testimony to that.

(Although perhaps some enterprising person hawks the content of those bins somewhere landside . . . )
The entrepreneurship thing is quite common at many airports in China. Basically the lighter ladies loot the bins in order to sell to arriving pax on the lower level. I'm security gets a decent cut from the proceeds.
moondog is offline  
Old Jun 27, 19, 12:08 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: PVG
Posts: 664
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
The entrepreneurship thing is quite common at many airports in China. Basically the lighter ladies loot the bins in order to sell to arriving pax on the lower level. I'm security gets a decent cut from the proceeds.
I'm pretty sure I've boxes of lighters that you can take for free when exiting airports in China. I presume those lighters are the ones that were discarded at security.
tauphi is offline  
Old Jun 28, 19, 5:11 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: LON/PEK
Programs: BA Silver; LH FTL, IHG Spire; Hertz 5*
Posts: 1,511
The toilets in baggage reclaim at PEK T3 are always full of cigarette smoke, so I'm 100% certain that people manage to bring lighters in!
Deltus is offline  
Old Jul 2, 19, 5:10 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SDF
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 13,537
I can confirm (100%) that there is no restriction bringing lighters IN to China (local security at your departure point may have additional restrictions, but Australia, most of Europe and Asia are not on that list).

On departure from China lighters are confiscated but all the smoking rooms I've seen have some for of ignition available (like lighters in a locked fixture).
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Old Jul 17, 19, 11:04 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Haining (1 hr from Shanghai) China
Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat
Posts: 1,401
Originally Posted by Deltus View Post
The toilets in baggage reclaim at PEK T3 are always full of cigarette smoke, so I'm 100% certain that people manage to bring lighters in!

You have heard of matches, right? :-)

Although Chinese security will also confiscate matches if they find them.

didn't read correctly...... baggage claim means they are arriving....

Last edited by mcjava; Jul 17, 19 at 11:15 pm Reason: mistake
mcjava is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:43 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: CX, BA
Posts: 22
When flying from outside of China territory (including HK!), you may carry a lighter.

On arrival at Chinese airport(s), after exiting baggage reclaim, most will have 'bins' with previously discarded lighters from departing passengers. Just help yourself to one.

Avoid at all costs after exiting buying a lighter from a hawker. Larger airports tend to have these under control now, however, smaller regional airports are a testing ground for entrepreneur 'training'!

7/11 stores and equivalent in larger airports will NOT sell lighters as they are based on airport property.

If concerned - just do not carry a lighter with you during your travels....

Majority of airports have smoking areas outside for arrivals and departures, so if you are unable to find a lighter as you exit, find one of the smoking areas and international sign language for 'give me a light please' is understood by all your fellow smokers!!!

Good luck and enjoy China.
EMIC is offline  
Old Jul 24, 19, 8:02 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,200
Originally Posted by EMIC View Post
Avoid at all costs after exiting buying a lighter from a hawker. Larger airports tend to have these under control now, however, smaller regional airports are a testing ground for entrepreneur 'training'!
Why do you say this? While it's true that one of the fundamental tenants of the business model entails selling discarded product that they obtained for free, they are simply trying to make a buck by providing a service.
Internaut and jsn55 like this.
moondog is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread