Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

How to get a large amount of money out of China

How to get a large amount of money out of China

Old May 8, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by DaileyB
I hope someone has some suggestions as to how to move the money...
Long story short - you won't be able to move all money at once, due to China's policy on foreign exchange control.

I would not suggest anything beyond legal...

I have several questions. One time about 10 years in the past, I received a check of about $12,000. However, the American bank wouldn't cash it because the Chinese bank had no correspondent relationship with the American banking sytem. (I might be using the wrong terminology) Has something changed or was I simply dealing with the wrong bank? [I seem to remember at the time it was difficult to find American banks that accepted transfers from Chinese banks -- maybe my memory is wrong]
It is a fairly complicated and costly process.

When a customer intends to cash a foreign check/cheque, the depositing bank will need to tender the physical check/cheque to the withdrawing bank for processing.

Because of all the complications and costs, not many banks are willing to do this.

It seems like if you have the bank routing number and account number, you are in pretty good shape as is the case in the US. Don't know what the Swift No. is, so if someone could explain, I would appreciate it.
Routing number is for banks within the Federal Reserve System. SWIFT is for international banking purposes, which is a necessity for international wire transfer unless the bank can accept routing number.

Also, I am sure everyone realizes that $18,000 cash might not be much for China, but in the US that much cash can cause problems. The Vietnamese mother of a friend was recently traveling to Vietnam with $24,000 cash, and it was seized by the US government. I obviously want to avoid that problem.
The U.S. law does not prohibit currency transportation. However, all transportation above valued USD$10,000 or equivalent must be reported to CBP by FinCEN Form 105 promptly. Your customs declaration is not sufficient (if applies).

Generally, there would be no seizure when you promptly report the transportation, even in a major amount. Seizure is generally a direct result of failure to report.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by garykung
The U.S. law does not prohibit currency transportation. However, all transportation above valued USD$10,000 or equivalent must be reported to CBP by FinCEN Form 105 promptly. Your customs declaration is not sufficient (if applies).

Generally, there would be no seizure when you promptly report the transportation, even in a major amount. Seizure is generally a direct result of failure to report.
His son will be an adult by the time he flies back, so he can take 9k on his own without the need to report anything.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:55 pm

Making a series of transactions or entries/departures below $10000 to avoid reporting is in itself a crime.
Loren Pechtel and :D! like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by 889
Making a series of transactions or entries/departures below $10000 to avoid reporting is in itself a crime.
1. Pull out the 18k in a single transaction
2. Keep 9k, and give 9k to the son

How is this a crime?
Old May 8, 2019, 9:38 pm

See link above you quoted yourself.

And why on earth should they be taking steps to avoid reporting: what do they have to hide.

Myself, I think taking cash is a bad idea for all sorts of reasons. But if they go that bad route, just take and declare the whole amount, no funny business.
:D! likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by 889

And why on earth should they be taking steps to avoid reporting: what do they have to hide.

Myself, I think taking cash is a bad idea for all sorts of reasons. But if they go that bad route, just take and declare the whole amount, no funny business.
The fact they are father and son is not relevant because they are different people, and both are adults.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I believe that the biggest problem is how you can get this money away from China, not how you can get this into the U.S.

Originally Posted by moondog
His son will be an adult by the time he flies back, so he can take 9k on his own without the need to report anything.
I am not sure entrusting a recent adult for this kind of money is wise.

Originally Posted by 889

The money is clean. So there is absolutely no reason not to report it.

But with this much of cash? Yeah...it is a bad idea.

The fact they are father and son is not relevant because they are different people, and both are adults.
Not true.

In this case, because the father and the son will return separately. So it should be fine.

Nevertheless - CBP uses the same customs principal in dealing with this transportation - not $10,000/person, but $10,000/travel party.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
So many people confused about the USA 10 thousand dollar thing? I can travel with a million in cash if I wanted as long as I declared it and have a reasonable explanation.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:02 am

People are making this a lot more complicated than it is.
1- you can carry more than $10,000 as long as you declare it.
2- Despite exchange controls (limit to convert to foreign currency is $50,000 much above the $18,000) there is no problem to wire transfer finds to US. I have several friends who do this regularly to pay for tuition for their kids in the US.
These are the two simplest options for the OP.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
So many people confused about the USA 10 thousand dollar thing? I can travel with a million in cash if I wanted as long as I declared it and have a reasonable explanation.
Because many don't actually travel in cash, but plastic.

Nevertheless - financial institutions routinely import/export currencies into/out of the U.S. So shipping millions of cash is no big deal for CBP, as soon as the money is clean and legitimate.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:34 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
1. Pull out the 18k in a single transaction
2. Keep 9k, and give 9k to the son

How is this a crime?
intent - state of mind......
  1. Section 5324. Structuring transactions to evade reporting requirement prohibited
(3)
structure or assist in structuring, or attempt to structure or assist in structuring, any importation or exportation of monetary instruments.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:51 pm

There is also the slight risk that US Border Patrol may decide to confiscate your money and declare that they suspect you of some crime. The risk should be small, but with cash, there is the risk of unwarranted seizure (temporary or permanent) that would not exist in a bank transfer.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:56 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO

Originally Posted by xooz
There is also the slight risk that US Border Patrol may decide to confiscate your money and declare that they suspect you of some crime. The risk should be small, but with cash, there is the risk of unwarranted seizure (temporary or permanent) that would not exist in a bank transfer.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
:D! and DeepUnderground like this.

Last edited by anacapamalibu; May 9, 2019 at 5:08 pm
Old May 9, 2019, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
intent - state of mind......
  1. Section 5324. Structuring transactions to evade reporting requirement prohibited
(3)
structure or assist in structuring, or attempt to structure or assist in structuring, any importation or exportation of monetary instruments.
If I were to give you 9k in hard cash, there is no way in hell that the US people would have a clue.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I were to give you 9k in hard cash, there is no way in hell that the US people would have a clue.
Don't forget that CBP has search authority at all ports of entry. In many cases, these incidents happen during a search.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.