Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Exit Ban

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by STS-134
Exactly why I flew CA! I wanted to fly the 747-8. What was strange is that F was not at the front, or on the upper deck, but in the middle of the lower deck, behind business class.
Yes, I found that odd too. But, I suppose the rationale for that arrangement is that further back in the main cabin is more spacious than in the nose (and upper deck), making it more suitable for First Class. However, I do find the nose to be the quietest cabin on the 747 by far (aside from the occasional noise from pilots moving around in the cockpit above you).

Last edited by joer1212; May 10, 2019 at 7:43 pm
Old May 10, 2019, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

There should be two PNRs. There is a PNR with the operating carrier (CA in this case) which I don't believe UA gave me in the email when I booked. I had to either dig through multiple menus on the website or call their customer service to get it, but they did give it to me. Take a copy/screenshot of that PNR so that if anything happens to your reservation, you can refer to it. This isn't just for flying award tickets on CA though. Whenever I fly, I try to have screenshots of the reservation on me (usually in my computer) as well as paper boarding passes if possible, so that if the computer system crashes, the airline can still see that I have a confirmed ticket. One time, I did a mileage run to SJU and the power was out when I got there, and the gate agents were processing tickets manually.
I have both PNR's, even though I never got a confirmation email from LIfeMiles (I just took a screenshot of my booking on their site). Had to do a little digging to get CA's PNR myself. But I did contact CA to confirm my seat selection, and got an affirmative response. So, I'll print that out and take it with me, too.

Last edited by joer1212; May 11, 2019 at 11:02 am
Old May 13, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by joer1212
Yes, I found that odd too. But, I suppose the rationale for that arrangement is that further back in the main cabin is more spacious than in the nose (and upper deck), making it more suitable for First Class. However, I do find the nose to be the quietest cabin on the 747 by far (aside from the occasional noise from pilots moving around in the cockpit above you).
May also simply be more feasible to use identical seats when you don't have to deal with the curvature of the nose.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by moondog
I also don't want to derail this thread because I believe we have a thread on RPs and echannel, but following are points that I know:
1) getting the Z visa was shockingly painful
-diploma and criminal background check both need state department and PRC consulate authentication; the former takes a bit of time, unless you show them an airplane ticket for the next day (which, you obviously won't be using)
-the medical check is pretty easy, but only certain hospitals can do it
-need to write a job posting for your own job in Chinese
-although I normally prefer to do things myself, in this case using an agent was the right path

2) If you are a student, I have to believe X visas are much easier
-your school simply issues them on its own, so not much bureaucracy
-they will presumably arrange an appointment at the hospital for you

3) I'm not certain about other visa types, but I think at least Q1 works
Any idea if Q2 (I'm married to Chinese) can apply for eChannel? No plans on working or doing real job, at least not anytime soon. but I travel a lot.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mcjava
Any idea if Q2 (I'm married to Chinese) can apply for eChannel? No plans on working or doing real job, at least not anytime soon. but I travel a lot.
Assume no. Travel a lot does not mean anything unless you are a repeated traveler for the same place.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Assume no. Travel a lot does not mean anything unless you are a repeated traveler for the same place.
I live in China, and have left 6-8 times on overseas trips so far this year.

But I saw in another place where Moondog wrote you need an RP, which I do not have. Used to have it for Hong Kong but that didn't have any visa or residency rules.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:15 pm

Q2 itself is not eligible. However, since your spouse is a Chinese national, you can simply apply for a residence permit at her registered resident city which would make you eligible for eChannel.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tauphi
Q2 itself is not eligible. However, since your spouse is a Chinese national, you can simply apply for a residence permit at her registered resident city which would make you eligible for eChannel.
That would immediately invalidate the Q2, no? And then to keep eChannel, wouldn't you have to keep renewing the residence permit? Q2 for US citizens can be issued for 10 years (good) but isn't eligible for eChannel (bad). But a residence permit is eligible for eChannel (good) but also must be renewed every year AFAIK (which is annoying).
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That would immediately invalidate the Q2, no? And then to keep eChannel, wouldn't you have to keep renewing the residence permit? Q2 for US citizens can be issued for 10 years (good) but isn't eligible for eChannel (bad). But a residence permit is eligible for eChannel (good) but also must be renewed every year AFAIK (which is annoying).
There are also 3 year and 5 year RPs, the requirements vary by region. For example, many places have elaborate points based schemes. Meanwhile, Shanghai seems most concerned about tax contribution (e.g. 10k per month in taxes paid for an A iirc).
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
There are also 3 year and 5 year RPs, the requirements vary by region. For example, many places have elaborate points based schemes. Meanwhile, Shanghai seems most concerned about tax contribution (e.g. 10k per month in taxes paid for an A iirc).
Maybe you should start a thread about what the requirements are in each region. I think 10k per month in taxes may be a problem for someone who doesn't plan to ever work in China.

Are there any rules about having to spend more time in China than outside China if you have a RP? Because even if I otherwise meet the requirements, that would be a big problem for me (and anyone else who can probably better describe himself/herself as a frequent visitor to China but not really a permanent resident).
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Maybe you should start a thread about what the requirements are in each region. I think 10k per month in taxes may be a problem for someone who doesn't plan to ever work in China.

Are there any rules about having to spend more time in China than outside China if you have a RP? Because even if I otherwise meet the requirements, that would be a big problem for me (and anyone else who can probably better describe himself/herself as a frequent visitor to China but not really a permanent resident).
RPs happen to be a visa related topic that I know little about, apart from what I've been able to glean from the experiences of myself and a handful of friends in Shanghai and Beijing. Furthermore, while it's possible to pull off the drill on your own, my company pays an agency to do pretty much everything, and I'm happy to treat them as a black box.

I was curious about A work permits because I know a few people who got them, and they didn't understand how/why. So, I resorted to Google, and found pages like this:

https://www.china-briefing.com/news/...c-tier-talent/

I could probably get 85 points using this system, but I was planning on taking the HSK (very easy) for good measure, so I asked my visa agent for his advice. This is when he told me about the 10k/month tax requirement for Shanghai (I don't qualify for this). Honestly, my gut tells me that this was a brush off response.* I'll try to do some more research between now and my renewal date. I'll update this thread (or maybe the main visa thread) in the event I stumble upon any useful information, and encourage others to do the same.

On a semi-related note, rumor has it that steps are being taken to make the process less painful because China honestly does want more people to work legally, and realizes that some of the current barriers are exceedingly difficult for young professionals to achieve in the absence of sponsorship from an MNC.

*ETA: It just occurred to me that the agencies make a lot more money from people who renew every year v every 3 or 5 years, so it's not in their financial best interests to provide advice on pathways to As.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 19, 2019 at 6:39 pm
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by tauphi
A residence permit obtained this way is good for ? Proving residence, buying home, etc? But not eligible to "work" I assume?

I was under the impression that RP's were only issued for people with work permits, or returning Chinese (parents who immigrated to US and now hold US passport), etc .
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:12 am

You're talking about the requirements for a work RP. The requirements for family RPs are totally different and are not based on points.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:29 am

A residence permit obtained this way is good for ? Proving residence, buying home, etc? But not eligible to "work" I assume?

I was under the impression that RP's were only issued for people with work permits, or returning Chinese (parents who immigrated to US and now hold US passport), etc .
No RPs are issued either for work reasons or for family reunions. AFAIK there isn't a returning Chinese RP per se, they are usually done through the family reunion channel (although there was a peculiar over-60s RP that came with a house purchase).

As for work privileges, even a work permit doesn't let you change employers willy-nilly. You essentially have to go through the whole work permit application process again with each new employer. So essentially a work permit has no advantages compared to a family reunion RP when it comes to finding new employment.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:15 pm

Unlikely an issue unless you do something bad there - I thought that should be obvious, shouldn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.