Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Shanghai Metro - Line 2 Direct

Shanghai Metro - Line 2 Direct

Reply

Old Apr 27, 19, 10:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,059
Shanghai Metro - Line 2 Direct

Last week from PVG, I boarded Line 2 and was fully expecting having to transfer at Guanglan, then onward to my destination. I usually don't pay attention, and my cue to leave is when the train stops where everyone deboards. However, this time, it never stopped and just kept going!

For future reference, is there an easy way differentiate which is the direct to PVG Line 2 & the one that stops at Guanglan?
Visconti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 19, 1:39 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LAX/MNL/PIT
Programs: DL PM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY
Posts: 772
What time was this at? Most Line 2 services to/from PVG require transferring at Guanglan Road, but I believe there are a few off-peak services that go the whole way.
Akiestar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 19, 9:32 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,059
Originally Posted by Akiestar View Post
What time was this at? Most Line 2 services to/from PVG require transferring at Guanglan Road, but I believe there are a few off-peak services that go the whole way.
It was probably around 11:30 am, or around there, and on a Friday.
Visconti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 19, 5:02 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 28,450
I took the subway to PVG last week, and regretted the decision...as always. While Y8 is a true bargain, you can't count on getting a seat until you pass Lujiazui, being underground for an hour isn't fun, and after you get to the airport, you are looking at a 400 meter walk. I do NOT mind the Guanglan Road transfer though; it couldn't be any easier.

As I've said numerous times in the past, the #2 bus is wonderful, and well worth Y22. However, it isn't so convenient for me in the morning any more because getting to JA Temple can be challenging. I will always take it on the way back because I can grab dinner and a beer at Crocus before heading home.
moondog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 19, 5:10 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,059
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I took the subway to PVG last week, and regretted the decision...as always. While Y8 is a true bargain, you can't count on getting a seat until you pass Lujiazui, being underground for an hour isn't fun, and after you get to the airport, you are looking at a 400 meter walk. I do NOT mind the Guanglan Road transfer though; it couldn't be any easier.
Yeah, I timed the trip and it was almost 90 min? And, as you've said, making the trek to departure is time consuming, where T1 is even worse. However, I still can't get over it's Y8, and endured the trip on general principle a few times.

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
As I've said numerous times in the past, the #2 bus is wonderful, and well worth Y22. However, it isn't so convenient for me in the morning any more because getting to JA Temple can be challenging. I will always take it on the way back because I can grab dinner and a beer at Crocus before heading home
I'm not familiar with the #2 bus, and need to look into it. For Y22, much rather do this. By the way, now I know what you mean about SHA - couldn't be easier, and would much rather fly into Hongqiao than PVG, if only there weren't so few flights for me to choose from.
Visconti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 19, 5:28 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 28,450
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
I'm not familiar with the #2 bus, and need to look into it. For Y22, much rather do this. By the way, now I know what you mean about SHA - couldn't be easier, and would much rather fly into Hongqiao than PVG, if only there weren't so few flights for me to choose from.
I've been taking it for almost 20 years! On the way to the airport, it drops off at both terminals. On the way back, you can grab it at T1, or between the terminals near the subway/Maglev.

I also strongly prefer SHA because I can get there in 15 minutes, but sometimes I end up flying 9C to HKG (from PVG). Of course KA and MU are better, but an extra Y100 gets me a seat in row 2 (i.e. very good legroom), and even with this, 9C is usually much cheaper.
moondog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 19, 7:20 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Trenton NJ
Programs: UA Premier Plat MM, HHonors Dia, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Posts: 1,651
While living in Xujiahui, I was always a big fan of L10 to L2 to Maglev. It was worth the extra cash to me to not sit on the metro for the ride from Longyang Road to PVG. I always seemed to get lucky with my timing and very rarely waited long for a departing Maglev.
Bluehen1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 19, 9:12 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 28,450
Originally Posted by Bluehen1 View Post
While living in Xujiahui, I was always a big fan of L10 to L2 to Maglev. It was worth the extra cash to me to not sit on the metro for the ride from Longyang Road to PVG. I always seemed to get lucky with my timing and very rarely waited long for a departing Maglev.
As much as I dislike taking L2 all the way, I think switching to Maglev is painful.
moondog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 19, 9:48 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Trenton NJ
Programs: UA Premier Plat MM, HHonors Dia, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Posts: 1,651
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
As much as I dislike taking L2 all the way, I think switching to Maglev is painful.
I got efficient at it. Knew which car to get to in order to be in the right position to avoid a lot of the crowd and the closest exit to walk across to get the Maglev. L10 to L2 at Jiangsu Road could be worse than L2 to Maglev at times.
Bluehen1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 19, 9:52 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: China and Canada
Posts: 1,696
I often have to go from Pudong to Hongqiao and the subway line 2 all the way is the worst. The shuttle bus is best unless there is a long waiting line which means that I may not get on the next bus (which means a 30-minute + wait) then the Maglev plus subway is my choice. While it is less convenient in many respects, the one thing about the Maglev+subway is that my timing is 100% predictable and I can book my train while on my way and be sure to make it.
JPDM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 19, 5:40 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 28,450
Originally Posted by JPDM View Post
I often have to go from Pudong to Hongqiao and the subway line 2 all the way is the worst. The shuttle bus is best unless there is a long waiting line which means that I may not get on the next bus (which means a 30-minute + wait) then the Maglev plus subway is my choice. While it is less convenient in many respects, the one thing about the Maglev+subway is that my timing is 100% predictable and I can book my train while on my way and be sure to make it.
I generally try to avoid that connection (since I live here), but I would gladly wait for the next #1 bus v taking the subway.
moondog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 19, 3:08 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,364
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I took the subway to PVG last week, and regretted the decision...as always. While Y8 is a true bargain, you can't count on getting a seat until you pass Lujiazui, being underground for an hour isn't fun, and after you get to the airport, you are looking at a 400 meter walk. I do NOT mind the Guanglan Road transfer though; it couldn't be any easier.

As I've said numerous times in the past, the #2 bus is wonderful, and well worth Y22. However, it isn't so convenient for me in the morning any more because getting to JA Temple can be challenging. I will always take it on the way back because I can grab dinner and a beer at Crocus before heading home.
I tried the subway from PVG to Shanghai before and I thought it was way too slow. I just do Maglev now. Btw, you're right about getting a seat though. It's easy if coming from PVG. If you're coming from the city centre, good luck...
lsquare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 19, 8:36 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 28,450
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I tried the subway from PVG to Shanghai before and I thought it was way too slow. I just do Maglev now. Btw, you're right about getting a seat though. It's easy if coming from PVG. If you're coming from the city centre, good luck...
I can't imagine that the Maglev will be around for much longer. Have any of you heard any updates on the new trains from PVG that will supposedly serve both Shanghai and Jiaxing?
moondog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 19, 11:05 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,364
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I can't imagine that the Maglev will be around for much longer. Have any of you heard any updates on the new trains from PVG that will supposedly serve both Shanghai and Jiaxing?
Why do you say that? I didn't hear anything that they're going to close it down.
lsquare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 19, 12:35 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 28,450
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Why do you say that? I didn't hear anything that they're going to close it down.
The reason it is only 30 km in length is because that was the minimum distance needed for proof of concept, but as we all know, those 30 km are not very useful.

More importantly, the MOR decided against deploying Maglev on a wider scale, and went with CRH instead, which is almost as fast.

I met an MOR friend yesterday, who told me that the PVG-Shanghai-Jiaxing train is in the works, though I found nothing on Google or Baidu confirming this.

Speaking of rumors, we had many threads about the Maglev being extended to downtown Shanghai, Jiaxing, and Hangzhou in the past, but this never panned out. This is similar to the PVG-Jiaxing train rumor, but I can actually envision the latter happening because PVG is a logical candidate for train service that goes somewhere useful.
moondog is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread