Shanghai Metro - Line 2 Direct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai Metro - Line 2 Direct

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by moondog
The reason it is only 30 km in length is because that was the minimum distance needed for proof of concept, but as we all know, those 30 km are not very useful.

More importantly, the MOR decided against deploying Maglev on a wider scale, and went with CRH instead, which is almost as fast.

I met an MOR friend yesterday, who told me that the PVG-Shanghai-Jiaxing train is in the works, though I found nothing on Google or Baidu confirming this.

Speaking of rumors, we had many threads about the Maglev being extended to downtown Shanghai, Jiaxing, and Hangzhou in the past, but this never panned out. This is similar to the PVG-Jiaxing train rumor, but I can actually envision the latter happening because PVG is a logical candidate for train service that goes somewhere useful.
I don't know about Jiaxing but the PVG-SHA train line is being worked on:

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B8...BB%9C%E7%BA%BF
Old May 3, 2019, 5:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tauphi
I don't know about Jiaxing but the PVG-SHA train line is being worked on:

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B8...BB%9C%E7%BA%BF
Wow, doesn't seem too convincing.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
The reason it is only 30 km in length is because that was the minimum distance needed for proof of concept, but as we all know, those 30 km are not very useful.

More importantly, the MOR decided against deploying Maglev on a wider scale, and went with CRH instead, which is almost as fast.

I met an MOR friend yesterday, who told me that the PVG-Shanghai-Jiaxing train is in the works, though I found nothing on Google or Baidu confirming this.

Speaking of rumors, we had many threads about the Maglev being extended to downtown Shanghai, Jiaxing, and Hangzhou in the past, but this never panned out. This is similar to the PVG-Jiaxing train rumor, but I can actually envision the latter happening because PVG is a logical candidate for train service that goes somewhere useful.
Doesn't Changsha have Maglev as well? I think it's much slower though. Nonetheless, there seems to be growing interest in Maglev. It would be terrible if they shut it down as it's quite fast getting me to PVG. It's great, I can't complain. The price is right.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Doesn't Changsha have Maglev as well? I think it's much slower though. Nonetheless, there seems to be growing interest in Maglev. It would be terrible if they shut it down as it's quite fast getting me to PVG. It's great, I can't complain. The price is right.
The new train, when it opens, is supposedly going to be able to get us from this side of the river to PVG.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The new train, when it opens, is supposedly going to be able to get us from this side of the river to PVG.
I tried googling what you mentioned earlier, but found nothing. Are you talking about the new subway lines S1 and S2?
Old May 3, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I tried googling what you mentioned earlier, but found nothing. Are you talking about the new subway lines S1 and S2?
Check out the link in post 16, which you can display in English, if you want. The PVG train is a sublink in that article. I wasn't too convinced because it is sorely lacking in detail (e.g. when it will open, and even what technology it will employ), and there is NOTHING on Google, as you mentioned. That having been said, the Maglev will never be extended to somewhere useful, and is expensive to operate/maintain, so its days are numbered.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:52 pm

Check out the link in post 16, which you can display in English, if you want. The PVG train is a sublink in that article. I wasn't too convinced because it is sorely lacking in detail (e.g. when it will open, and even what technology it will employ), and there is NOTHING on Google, as you mentioned. That having been said, the Maglev will never be extended to somewhere useful, and is expensive to operate/maintain, so its days are numbered.
There is plenty of reports in the local media. But real work has yet to commence on the actual line itself. The only thing that has started so far is around the terminal buildings.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
(FWIW) The L2 bus is now RMB24. Usually it's pretty good but last weekend took well over 90 minutes in a hot bus withouth aircon or airflow (there was no opportunity to get up to alert the driver, who had his wondow open). The traffic was backed up all the way to the Lupu bridge. (No accidents of anything, just slow.)

For travel to Jing An I'm now a convert to the bus (mainly because of the potential hassle for a taxi at the maglev terminus).

For the return it's now either a car the whole way, or combo of taxi + maglev (I too have become pretty efficient with the transfer, and while it might not save that much time, it feels quicker and is a bit more fun )
Old May 5, 2019, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
(FWIW) The L2 bus is now RMB24. Usually it's pretty good but last weekend took well over 90 minutes in a hot bus withouth aircon or airflow (there was no opportunity to get up to alert the driver, who had his wondow open). The traffic was backed up all the way to the Lupu bridge. (No accidents of anything, just slow.)
Definitely a lot more fun.

I recall taking it during the time where it reaches maximum speed, something like 400 kph? We were passing by the cars alongside the freeway so quickly, it literally appeared as if they were in a standstill. It was really quite a thrill, especially the first several times. On my next trip, may do it again, just for fun.

Maglev saves about 30 minutes?
Old May 5, 2019, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
Definitely a lot more fun.

I recall taking it during the time where it reaches maximum speed, something like 400 kph? We were passing by the cars alongside the freeway so quickly, it literally appeared as if they were in a standstill. It was really quite a thrill, especially the first several times. On my next trip, may do it again, just for fun.

Maglev saves about 30 minutes?
Not if you're going to JA; the #2 bus is much faster.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be fair it does depend if ou have an inward connection from JA. For me it was easier, and quicker, to take the maglev and a taxi from there right to my house, rather than have to wait for a taxi at the JA terminus (could be a long wait depending on the time of day.

I think overall going to the airport, the saving is up to 30 mins.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:29 pm

To be fair it does depend if ou have an inward connection from JA. For me it was easier, and quicker, to take the maglev and a taxi from there right to my house, rather than have to wait for a taxi at the JA terminus (could be a long wait depending on the time of day.

I think overall going to the airport, the saving is up to 30 mins.
On the way back from the airport, I usually grab a beer at Crocus, and summon a didi from there.

Going to the airport is a different beast because I typically fly out in the mornings. I endured the subway last time, and it wasn't awful. I honestly don't think subway + Maglev is much better.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a resident of shanghai the benefit of taxi + maglev was that it left from my door, and the connection was fairly easy at longyang lu. Maybe if you were staying beside a line 2 metro station it might be viable to take the subway first, but otherwise agree, not much of a benefit.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:26 am

As a resident of shanghai the benefit of taxi + maglev was that it left from my door, and the connection was fairly easy at longyang lu. Maybe if you were staying beside a line 2 metro station it might be viable to take the subway first, but otherwise agree, not much of a benefit.
For me, getting to Longyang Road is a 30 minute drill, then I need to wait up to 20 minutes for the Maglev. While it's true that the Maglev itself covers that useless journey in 8 minutes, the entire ordeal simply isn't worth it to me.

HKG is my most common route these days, and I always try to fly out of Hongqiao (15 minute subway ride), but the fare difference v PVG is often hard to justify. As I mentioned upthread, I don't mind flying back to PVG, and taking the bus to JA because JA is a great place to unwind post trip.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me, getting to Longyang Road is a 30 minute drill, then I need to wait up to 20 minutes for the Maglev. While it's true that the Maglev itself covers that useless journey in 8 minutes, the entire ordeal simply isn't worth it to me.

HKG is my most common route these days, and I always try to fly out of Hongqiao (15 minute subway ride), but the fare difference v PVG is often hard to justify. As I mentioned upthread, I don't mind flying back to PVG, and taking the bus to JA because JA is a great place to unwind post trip.
The last time I took the Maglev, it was less than a 20 min wait. Not sure if my experience with Maglev would even qualify as an ordeal. lol!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.