Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Shanghai Metro - Line 2 Direct

Shanghai Metro - Line 2 Direct

Old May 6, 19, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
The last time I took the Maglev, it was less than a 20 min wait. Not sure if my experience with Maglev would even qualify as an ordeal. lol!
It runs every 20 minutes, so the max wait is 20 minutes.
Old May 9, 19, 8:10 pm

Took the metro twice (both ways) recently, it was always direct. Makes it MUCH better because you're basically guaranteed a seat into the city and even to the airport there is a very good chance (if you position yourself smartly) to be able to sit almost the whole journey. Unless the location you're heading to is terribly difficult by metro (more than one interchange and/or extremely heavy/bulky luggage or far from the metro station) I'd say just take the metro all the way is now the best "generic" solution. The Maglev might cut still some minutes (or if you're lucky maybe even a bit more - I think if it's driving every 20min your savings could be anything from only about 10min to close to 30min?) but unless for the novelty I'd not really want to take it. Metro overall is more comfortable, unless you've to interchange at Longyang anyway.. in fact that's the only scenario where Maglev might save you a bit more time.
Old May 10, 19, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
Took the metro twice (both ways) recently, it was always direct. Makes it MUCH better because you're basically guaranteed a seat into the city and even to the airport there is a very good chance (if you position yourself smartly) to be able to sit almost the whole journey. Unless the location you're heading to is terribly difficult by metro (more than one interchange and/or extremely heavy/bulky luggage or far from the metro station) I'd say just take the metro all the way is now the best "generic" solution. The Maglev might cut still some minutes (or if you're lucky maybe even a bit more - I think if it's driving every 20min your savings could be anything from only about 10min to close to 30min?) but unless for the novelty I'd not really want to take it. Metro overall is more comfortable, unless you've to interchange at Longyang anyway.. in fact that's the only scenario where Maglev might save you a bit more time.
1. When traveling with a colleague, taking a didi or taxi the entire way pencils
2. Taxi + Maglev isn't much cheaper or faster
3. As you intimated, Line 2 all the way only takes 15 minutes more than Line 2 + Maglev, and the transfer at Guanglan Road is super easy
4. The bus remains the best option
-in addition to the #2 bus, the #5 bus is semi okay, but the stop in Pudong makes it considerably slower
5. I always try to fly out of SHA, whenever possible
-not an option for long haul, but in addition to domestic, there are flights to HKG, MFM, HND, SEL, and TPE
Old May 10, 19, 8:41 am

Pretty much true. PVG offers plenty of options depending on the type of traveller. From the 8 RMB all-metro budget option till the "splurge" private driver one (still very reasonable at approx 200-250 RMB depending where in downtown) I've taken all of them and they all serve their purpose.
Old May 10, 19, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
Pretty much true. PVG offers plenty of options depending on the type of traveller. From the 8 RMB all-metro budget option till the "splurge" private driver one (still very reasonable at approx 200-250 RMB depending where in downtown) I've taken all of them and they all serve their purpose.
Agree.

The major downside of the metro all the way is that is is pretty boring. Changing to the maglev might not save much time, but adds a lot more interest. At least you're 'doing' something.
Old May 10, 19, 5:14 pm

While the bus is the "best option" in my opinion (I have tried all the options), my girlfriend definitely prefers the Maglev + subway or the subway all the way (in this case if she has a lot of luggage), because she has to take a train at Hongqiao and wants to know exactly when she will arrive at the train station while the bus, while being mostly faster, has an element of uncertainty to it depending on traffic and the length of the lineup for the bus.
Old May 15, 19, 6:42 pm

Was waiting for line 2 at Jiangsu Road this morning and the train I got on was going direct to PVG, even said “PVG Airport” on their destination board. This was at peak rush hour so apparently this is a thing. Might get me to use the subway the entire way instead of my usual subway to maglev combo.
Old May 15, 19, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
Was waiting for line 2 at Jiangsu Road this morning and the train I got on was going direct to PVG, even said “PVG Airport” on their destination board. This was at peak rush hour so apparently this is a thing. Might get me to use the subway the entire way instead of my usual subway to maglev combo.
How much time would you have saved?
Old May 15, 19, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much time would you have saved?
You would only save around 3 minutes v switching at Guanglan Road because the 4 car train is always waiting for the 8 car train there; not having to bother walking across the platform with 500 other people is the benefit of the direct trains (which, I have yet to see myself). Basically, you can usually score a seat on Line 2 at Lujiazui or Century Ave, and the idea of being able to stay planted in that seat for the rest of the journey is somewhat appealing.
Old May 16, 19, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
You would only save around 3 minutes v switching at Guanglan Road because the 4 car train is always waiting for the 8 car train there; not having to bother walking across the platform with 500 other people is the benefit of the direct trains (which, I have yet to see myself). Basically, you can usually score a seat on Line 2 at Lujiazui or Century Ave, and the idea of being able to stay planted in that seat for the rest of the journey is somewhat appealing.
No, I meant compared to subway/Maglev combo.
Old May 16, 19, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I meant compared to subway/Maglev combo.
Subway/maglev is probably faster unless you get unlucky with the Maglev timing (i.e. end up waiting close to the entire 20 minutes between trains), but when I'm going to the airport at 630a, being able to chill out is considerably more important to me than the possibility of saving 10 minutes. And, as I've previously mentioned, I almost always take the #2 bus upon return to Shanghai.
Old May 16, 19, 10:22 pm

Location: 50.1% in PDX and 49.9% in PVG ( 182 days in Shanghai in 2017 )
Programs: SPG Plat100/LT Gold, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD
Can't count the number of times, LOL actually know exactly 26 times a years I make the run to PVG each year.
I think I chose Taxi on hot days but find Line 2 always a fun experience if a bit slow with the many stops and train transfer.
My favorite is of course Line2 to Magleve. Yeah you need to get out, wrestle you luggage up some escalators/stairs and buy ticket and get scanned and often wait, but the Meglev is a fun experience, as is line2, the taix is the most boring,
Old May 16, 19, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
Can't count the number of times, LOL actually know exactly 26 times a years I make the run to PVG each year.
I think I chose Taxi on hot days but find Line 2 always a fun experience if a bit slow with the many stops and train transfer.
My favorite is of course Line2 to Magleve. Yeah you need to get out, wrestle you luggage up some escalators/stairs and buy ticket and get scanned and often wait, but the Meglev is a fun experience, as is line2, the taix is the most boring,
Personally, I like looking out the window, and I really like getting to the airport in less than 45 minutes. But, I usually don't take taxi/didi when traveling alone because it's difficult to justify the extra expense (would be easier if the cheapest option cost more than $1.50).
Old May 17, 19, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really like using public transport when visiting cities. I don’t know a better introduction into who lives in those areas and who they “are”. Line 2 was a fascinating experience, both at 7am on a Monday heading into town from PVG and at 2pm heading back.

Two weeks later we had saws and other potentially dangerous tools in our luggage that barred us from the Metro. The bus between SHA and PVG in the rain was a real eye opener.
Sitting up, from a high vantage point, I got to see a lot of drivers. In particular, I got to see a LOT of drivers, at speed, and also turning challenging corners, doing so one handed whilst in deep conversation on their cell phones, or worse, fiddling with the displays.
The bus was fine (would do it again) - it’s a beast of a vehicle. It also veered from lane to lane, charging through the downpour like it was being filmed for a Mad Max movie. Was very, VERY glad not to be in any kind of car.
Will be sure to never again take tools in our luggage if we ever have to change airports at Shanghai.
The Metro went even higher in my preferred mode of transport list after the bus transfer.
Old May 17, 19, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
I really like using public transport when visiting cities. I don’t know a better introduction into who lives in those areas and who they “are”. Line 2 was a fascinating experience, both at 7am on a Monday heading into town from PVG and at 2pm heading back.
Likewise.

My first foray into a new city, I'll always arrange a private car transfer for the first several trips. Once I get an idea of the area and its makeup, I then switch to public transport & walking to familiarize myself with the city. You're right, there's nothing like walking & public transport to get a good idea of a city; and, Shanghai is just so expansive that it's difficult to appreciate the layout of the city.

For me, I'd probably prefer to stay on the L2 direct, rather than having to change to the Maglez, since I've been on it many times now. However, for anyone who has yet to experience it, I think it's better to take the Maglev, especially during the period of day where it reaches maximum speed. It is noticeably faster than either the Eurostar or Shinkansen. It was really a thrilling experience to go that fast!

PS - by the way, now I appreciate more the advice of Andaz over PH. While the PH Suite is nice, and having experienced it, I'd much prefer the Andaz. It's just way easier and, frankly, lot more fun to be in Xitiandi than out in the PH area.

Last edited by Visconti; May 17, 19 at 11:51 am Reason: added PS...

Search this Thread