Wiki Posts
Search

National Holiday Week impact on tourist spots

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH, IHG
National Holiday Week impact on tourist spots

Hey so, I learned about National Holiday week AFTER booking our RTW trip, which includes flying into / out of PEK 9/28 and 10/10. My plan was to try and do something (was thinking Jiuzhaigou but still losed) when we first arrive before the holiday and go somewhere else for that week, then come BACK to PEK for October 7-11.

How much of an impact will the holiday week really have? Is it so bad I should go outside China for that week?

I can't change the flight in or out of PEK but I can go somewhere else in between.

Thanks
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by currid7
Hey so, I learned about National Holiday week AFTER booking our RTW trip, which includes flying into / out of PEK 9/28 and 10/10. My plan was to try and do something (was thinking Jiuzhaigou but still losed) when we first arrive before the holiday and go somewhere else for that week, then come BACK to PEK for October 7-11.

How much of an impact will the holiday week really have? Is it so bad I should go outside China for that week?

I can't change the flight in or out of PEK but I can go somewhere else in between.

Thanks
My current travel strategy for golden weeks is to go places that are not popular with Chinese (e.g. Xinjiang). Beijing and Shanghai actually aren't so bad because most people leave. But, I did Yangshuo a few years ago, and it was miserable.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:18 pm

Chinese with brains and money will leave the country at that time. Or stay home and play cards with friends and drink.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH, IHG
I was kind of thinking that Beijing and Shanghai may not be too bad, since people will leave to go to the touristy spots. Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by currid7
I was kind of thinking that Beijing and Shanghai may not be too bad, since people will leave to go to the touristy spots. Thanks
BJ and SH are both bad during anniversary years, but I don't believe this is one. That having been said, do look into Turpan. Getting there isn't super easy, but hotels and food are cheap.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: BA - Blue
For a China veteran, BJ/ SH are not too bad, because the things we are interested in: cool restaurants etc, are less busy -- these are typically frequented by well to do locals. BUT for a first-time visitor, interested in going to the Great Wall, Summer Palace etc, Golden Week will be super crowded. Remember that 99% of tourists in Beijing are not from Beijing, but from elsewhere in mainland China: they will ALL be going to the GW and Forbidden City...

tb
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by moondog
BJ and SH are both bad during anniversary years, but I don't believe this is one. That having been said, do look into Turpan. Getting there isn't super easy, but hotels and food are cheap.
This is the seventieth anniversary so I wouldn't be too sure about Beijing.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by tauphi
This is the seventieth anniversary so I wouldn't be too sure about Beijing.
Good to know. IIRC, 2003 was an anniversary year, and I lived in Lujiazui at the time. Thousands of domestic tourists simply went there to stand around. But, nice venues were pretty much deserted.

In the case of Beijing, as TB noted, the GW and FC will be slammed, but you can still have a nice time if you stay east/north.

My Turpan rec was somewhat serious. Yes, it's a 4 hour flight, but airfares are cheap, and it is nothing like BJ/SH.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Good to know. IIRC, 2003 was an anniversary year, and I lived in Lujiazui at the time. Thousands of domestic tourists simply went there to stand around. But, nice venues were pretty much deserted.

In the case of Beijing, as TB noted, the GW and FC will be slammed, but you can still have a nice time if you stay east/north.

My Turpan rec was somewhat serious. Yes, it's a 4 hour flight, but airfares are cheap, and it is nothing like BJ/SH.
This is the seventieth anniversary so expect military parades and tight security. It's also the 30th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square Massacre.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:31 pm

May be room at the inn -- Chinese towns and cities always have plenty of places to stay, if not always for foreigners -- but if you're travelling by train, don't expect to get a ticket now unless you've already booked it.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by 889
but if you're travelling by train, don't expect to get a ticket now unless you've already booked it.
Is it possible to book trains that early though? Ctrip only allows booking for tickets until the end of June, I'm just wondering.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by gerofo
Is it possible to book trains that early though? Ctrip only allows booking for tickets until the end of June, I'm just wondering.
No. I want to say you can book 30 or 45 days out. The one year that I (mistakenly) went to Yangshuo, I took a train from Nanning, and it actually wasn't so hard to get a ticket, in spite of the fact the Yangshuo was completely slammed.

My typical strategy for holiday travel is to research flights on ctrip ~10 days out, and choose a destination that has cheap fares. Basically, apart from saving money on tickets, cheap fares typically correlate with light crowds.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:24 pm

On Thursday in Shanghai, I had some free time and decided to take a stroll by the Bund. Apparently, every other Chinese tourist on holiday had the same idea. It was packed, and Nanjing Road, even worse.

Old May 3, 2019, 5:33 pm

Yeah, some of my friends went to the Bund yesterday, and reported the same madness. I was thinking about going to Flair (other side of the river) because the weather is great these days, but decided to stay near my place (Shanghai Library) instead, which is remarkably calm.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by gerofo
Tickets are released 30 days prior to travel date. You can place an order with ctrip 60 days ahead or even before this with other agent but they only buy the tickets when released 30 days ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.