Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mosquitoes in Shanghai?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 5:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LapLap
MrLapLap is going to be spending a couple of weeks in a forest setting in Nanjing and I’m concerned about mozzies.

How does this “floral water” work as a repellent? Does one put it on clothing or directly on the skin? (He’s heading there in three days)
I've never done a side by side comparison with Western brands like "Off", but it seems to work pretty well. While I normally prefer clothing to skin, since I often wear shorts and a tee shirt in the summer, calves and forearms arms typically warrant direct skin treatment.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
I've never done a side by side comparison with Western brands like "Off", but it seems to work pretty well. While I normally prefer clothing to skin, since I often wear shorts and a tee shirt in the summer, calves and forearms arms typically warrant direct skin treatment.
^

MrLapLap’s eczema is pretty severe (he can’t use the fingerprint machines at the airports and he only needs to show staff his hands for them to see for themselves it isn’t an option). Putting unknown lotions right onto his skin has more immediate risks for him than it would for me.

Nevertheless, he’ll probably pick up something in the U.K. for direct application that he’s used before.

This “floral water” seemed like an ideal bolster deterrent if he could wear it on an outer layer too (he’ll be fine sticking to long sleeves and trousers.) And I’m also interested in him bringing some back as my daughter and I are both mozzie magnets and our summers in Spain always bring this challenge; constant direct application isn’t ideal over 5-6 weeks, so it would be nice to find a way to reduce it with a deterrent that is put on clothing.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
And I’m also interested in him bringing some back as my daughter and I are both mozzie magnets and our summers in Spain always bring this challenge; constant direct application isn’t ideal over 5-6 weeks, so it would be nice to find a way to reduce it with a deterrent that is put on clothing.
How does permethrin spray on your clothing work for your husband? We use something like this (husband is a tick magnet and works outside quite a bit - we have something like this but in bulk ;-)
https://sawyer.com/products/permethr...ent-treatment/
Old May 23, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
How does permethrin spray on your clothing work for your husband? We use something like this (husband is a tick magnet and works outside quite a bit - we have something like this but in bulk ;-)
Honestly don’t know. He’s been based in London for years and most of the time he does travel mosquitoes aren’t really an issue.
Anyway, I have spurred him into making sure that whatever it was that he got for himself for his Dhaka trip in Feb 2016 is still in date.
Am looking at this “floral water” as an extra - both for him in Laoshan Forest Park and me and the kid in Alicante.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I forgot to mention hair as a good application area. It might mess up your hair do a bit, but at least it's not your face.
LapLap likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
This “floral water” seemed like an ideal bolster deterrent if he could wear it on an outer layer too (he’ll be fine sticking to long sleeves and trousers.) And I’m also interested in him bringing some back as my daughter and I are both mozzie magnets and our summers in Spain always bring this challenge; constant direct application isn’t ideal over 5-6 weeks, so it would be nice to find a way to reduce it with a deterrent that is put on clothing.
The first two listed ingredients of my pictured floral water are ethyl alcohol and water. Hopefully, they won't trigger eczema, but each individual may react differently to the various other ingredients within. Personally, I apply the floral water directly on exposed skin. It evaporates quickly without much of a residue or stickiness, and it keeps mosquitoes away for the entire evening. On my last trip to China (last week), I discovered that the same manufacturer now offers the floral water in plastic spray bottles, and in several fragrances including mint and "spring flowers" (IIRC). Since I am already stocked for the upcoming summer, I'll have to try it next year to see how it compares to the "splash on" variety in the glass bottle.

Adding my own meaningless data point to why some people attract mosquitoes while others don't: When I was in college in Upstate New York, during the summers I often hiked in the Adirondacks, a place of thousands of lakes and millions of mosquitoes. My buddy, a cross-country runner with tanned skin and fuzzy but almost invisible body hair, never got bitten whereas I, the polar opposite -- a tofu-toned swimmer, was veritably a pot roast to the mosquitoes during their early evening feeding time.
LapLap and Hoyaheel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.