Reload this Page >

Mosquitoes in Shanghai?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mosquitoes in Shanghai?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:21 am

Insects of any variety have never been an issue for me in any of my previous visits to China. I've been to Hangzhou, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Dalian, Macau, Beijing and Shanghai in the last two years with nary a sighting.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I was in Shang Hai a couple days ago, not a mosquito in sight! Bangkok yesterday on the other hand and the local ladies (of the mosquito variety) are out in force... didn’t actually see them, but covered in bites this morning
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:24 pm

Likewise, was there during the long weekend, and not a single mosquito in sight.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Visconti
Likewise, was there during the long weekend, and not a single mosquito in sight.
I also haven't seen any at all yet this year. Surely, they will pop up during the summer, but that Y15 stuff you can find at every convenience store fends them off. This is basically a non-issue.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I was in Shang Hai a couple days ago, not a mosquito in sight! Bangkok yesterday on the other hand and the local ladies (of the mosquito variety) are out in force... didn’t actually see them, but covered in bites this morning
I was in Nanjing a few days ago. I woke up one morning and I got a bite in my neck. lol! Don't know how that happened, but oh well. First bite that I can recalled getting while in China.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Well, we found out that the location for the exchange program has been changed to Xi'an. Same difference with regard to mosquitoes?
Old May 6, 2019, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Well, we found out that the location for the exchange program has been changed to Xi'an. Same difference with regard to mosquitoes?
I haven't been to Xi'an during the summer for quite some time, but my recollection is that mosquitoes are even less of an issue there, but insect repellent is also extremely easy to procure, if needed.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by sinoflyer

I found this Chinese brand of mosquito-repelling floral water last spring and brought back a couple of bottles. It's made by a brand called Liushen, supposedly with Chinese medicine ingredients (the label on the bottle neck claims "Sourced Naturally" and expressly no DEET). It's available at both Walmart and Carrefour, but be aware that there is also ordinary floral water with no mosquito-repelling capability. IIRC a bottle costs 20-25 RMB(?). I'm told that some Chinese supermarkets here in L.A. and the SGV now also carry it.

I'm a mosquito magnet, and this thing works wondrously for me. Last summer, when L.A. got the full brunt of a tiger mosquito invasion from China, my family and I went through my two bottles by July. The L.A. Times ran an article on those tiger mosquitoes, suggesting that they can multiply even in water left over from garden sprinklers. My home armory has been restocked with this floral water for the upcoming summer.

added: This floral water is not an insect repellent per se. It is only effective against mosquitoes, and anecdotally, it works great for me.
How I wish I'd read this thread earlier! Does anyone know whether the product pictured is known as "butterfly" anywhere else in the world? I ask as I visited Tuvalu a few weeks ago and couldn't find any mosquito repellent there for love nor money, though one person had a bottle which looked very similar to the one above and said it might or might not work on mosquitoes!

I got bitten a LOT there, as I'm a mosquito magnet.

Data point: I passed through Shanghai 3-5 May and again 18-20 May and got bitten there both times.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:59 am

Nearly all of our chained convenience stores have that one. Since this thread started, I was also reminded of those gadgets with liquid cartridges that you plug into a power outlet. They work great at keeping mosquitoes at bay while you're trying to sleep...not a problem in hotels I guess.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:19 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
FWIW after two spring/summers/falls and lots of time outside can't recall getting bitten, BTW in my family I'm known as the mosquitoe magnet. Usually I am first, always the most bitten, must be my sweet blood, LOL.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by chipmaster
FWIW after two spring/summers/falls and lots of time outside can't recall getting bitten, BTW in my family I'm known as the mosquitoe magnet. Usually I am first, always the most bitten, must be my sweet blood, LOL.
I'm not a mosquito magnet, but a single mosquito buzzing around while I was attempting to sleep compelled me to go FamilyMart in the middle of the night to buy the electric gadget that I mentioned upthread.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by chipmaster
Mosquitoes probably don't discriminate. Some people however are more allergic to mosquito stings making the discomfort last longer. The effect tends to be worse when you're in a new area and have not encountered the local mosquito species before.

For me stings usually disappear after an hour or so.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by tauphi
Mosquitoes probably don't discriminate. Some people however are more allergic to mosquito stings making the discomfort last longer. The effect tends to be worse when you're in a new area and have not encountered the local mosquito species before.

For me stings usually disappear after an hour or so.
This is an age old debate, on which there still isn't consensus.

My personal experience is that when I'm by myself in an area that has mosquitos, I get lots of bites, but when I'm with pretty much anyone else, they get lots of bites, and I'm largely ignored.

For a while, I was convinced that this had to do with blood type, but google pretty much debunks this variable. My running theory is that my smell is somehow less attractive to them.

Last edited by moondog; May 23, 2019 at 3:18 am
Old May 22, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Many theories (I work with lots of malaria scientists and other infectious disease docs ;-) My favorite is body temp (women are usually warmer) and some combo of pheromones & carbon dioxide exhalation. But no, I don't think there is an answer. I do think most scientist think there ARE differences in who gets bitten, though....
Old May 23, 2019, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sinoflyer

I found this Chinese brand of mosquito-repelling floral water last spring and brought back a couple of bottles. It's made by a brand called Liushen, supposedly with Chinese medicine ingredients (the label on the bottle neck claims "Sourced Naturally" and expressly no DEET). It's available at both Walmart and Carrefour, but be aware that there is also ordinary floral water with no mosquito-repelling capability. IIRC a bottle costs 20-25 RMB(?). I'm told that some Chinese supermarkets here in L.A. and the SGV now also carry it.

I'm a mosquito magnet, and this thing works wondrously for me. Last summer, when L.A. got the full brunt of a tiger mosquito invasion from China, my family and I went through my two bottles by July. The L.A. Times ran an article on those tiger mosquitoes, suggesting that they can multiply even in water left over from garden sprinklers. My home armory has been restocked with this floral water for the upcoming summer.

added: This floral water is not an insect repellent per se. It is only effective against mosquitoes, and anecdotally, it works great for me.
MrLapLap is going to be spending a couple of weeks in a forest setting in Nanjing and I’m concerned about mozzies.

How does this “floral water” work as a repellent? Does one put it on clothing or directly on the skin? (He’s heading there in three days)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.