Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

6-8 hour layover in PEK enough for me to do anything in Beijing?

Old Mar 27, 19, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

So I'm thinking of flying with CA to SIN and they have 6-8 hour layovers in PEK. Is that enough time for me to clear customs and take the subway to the city, walk around for a bit and eat something before taking the subway back to the airport? If so, any recommendations on what to do and what to eat?
Old Mar 27, 19, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Search "Beijing layover" = Travel while transit in Beijing Int Airport for 8 hours
What to do during a 10 hour layover at Beijing airport
Beijing PEK airport 6hr layover Food recommendations
10 hour Beijing Layover - Help?
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 27, 19, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
So I'm thinking of flying with CA to SIN and they have 6-8 hour layovers in PEK. Is that enough time for me to clear customs and take the subway to the city, walk around for a bit and eat something before taking the subway back to the airport? If so, any recommendations on what to do and what to eat?
What is the timing of your proposed layover? I'm guessing you're flying out on a red eye. In this case, traffic shouldn't be an issue, so you can just grab a taxi back to the airport. Do you want to go all the way into town, or just check out Sanlitun (much better food options)?
Old Mar 27, 19, 8:07 pm

For this sort of layover, unless you have a visa, they will probably not let you out of the secured area.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 27, 19, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JPDM View Post
For this sort of layover, unless you have a visa, they will probably not let you out of the secured area.
I'm guessing he has a visa, based on his NKG thread.
Old Mar 27, 19, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I'm guessing he has a visa, based on his NKG thread.
I have a 10 year Chinese visa.
Old Mar 27, 19, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
What is the timing of your proposed layover? I'm guessing you're flying out on a red eye. In this case, traffic shouldn't be an issue, so you can just grab a taxi back to the airport. Do you want to go all the way into town, or just check out Sanlitun (much better food options)?
You're a smart guy! You're right, my flight out of PEK is at 23:30. It's actually not first time in Beijing, but it's been a very long time since I was there. I guess given how little time I have, I guess Sanlitun ain't bad. IIRC, it was a trendy area of Beijing. I wouldn't mind going to Quanjude, but the last time that I was there, there was a crazy long line just to go in and eat the duck.
Old Mar 27, 19, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a 10 year Chinese visa.
That was post 1234 for you!
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 31, 19, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

So here are the timings to think about. Not sure what I can really do. The fare that I'm looking at have me arriving in Beijing at 4 AM and it departs Beijing at 12:30 PM. That's an 8.5 hour layover.

Then when going home, I'll have a 5h25m layover; arriving in Beijing at 6:25 PM and departing at 11:30 PM.
Old Mar 31, 19, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So here are the timings to think about. Not sure what I can really do. The fare that I'm looking at have me arriving in Beijing at 4 AM and it departs Beijing at 12:30 PM. That's an 8.5 hour layover.
While this timing is rather awkward, you could conceivably squeeze in either Mutianyu or Tiananmen/Forbidden City. The latter is probably a little more practical.

Then when going home, I'll have a 5h25m layover; arriving in Beijing at 6:25 PM and departing at 11:30 PM.
For this layover, I would advise against going too far from the airport. 798 or the Lido area could work. There are also some decent restaurants/bars in Shunyi that are only 10 minutes away from PEK.
Old Mar 31, 19, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Just a suggestion:

Dunno the time of the sunrise on the day that you arrive in Beijing, but IMO catching a rear view of the Imperial Palace from the peak at Jingshan Park is worth considering. Also, I dunno when the first Airport Express leaves from PEK T3 or T2 to make this feasible. Regardless, once exiting the Airport Express at Dongzhimen, hire a taxi to get to Jingshan.

Next to Jingshan Park is Beihai Park. If you walk there from Jingshan, you will see the watchtower on the northwest corner of the Imperial Palace complex that occasionally appears in print advertisements in the West.

And if traditional Beijing style breakfast interests you, Huguosi (Huguo Temple) Street a couple of blocks northwest of Beihai Park has many eateries, including the old-school Huguo Temple Snack Shop that still operates like a state-owned canteen. (E.g., Exchange cash for paper coupons at the cashier, and then use the coupons to exchange for the snack dishes that you want to try. Redeem unused coupons back to cash afterward.)
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by sinoflyer; Mar 31, 19 at 11:43 pm Reason: E.g.
Old Apr 1, 19, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sinoflyer View Post
Next to Jingshan Park is Beihai Park. If you walk there from Jingshan, you will see the watchtower on the northwest corner of the Imperial Palace complex that occasionally appears in print advertisements in the West.
Beihai is one of my favorite spots in Beijing. I prefer it to Jingshan for several reasons:
1. you can enter from the south gate, and exit from the north gate
2. by the time you reach the north gate, you will be ready to eat something, and there are lots of good restaurant options; Houhai is probably the most convenient, but I like Nanluoguxiang myself
3. the row boats are fun, and inexpensive
lsquare and koreanair720 like this.
Old Apr 3, 19, 2:22 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
At other times of the day, I too would prefer Beihai and Houhai over Jingshan, but IIRC Beihai and Houhai only come to life in the afternoon and really get happening in the evening. Since OP should begin returning to the airport by 10 am, there won't be many breakfast options in their vicinity, at least ones that IMO stand out and are worthy of exploring.

Jingshan seems bland, but it harbors rich culture and history if one seeks them. Many Beijingers go there in the morning to dance, exercise, and blow off steam by screaming at the top of their lungs in virtual-anonymity. Jingshan was also where the Ming Dynasty ended (1644), when the last emperor hanged himself on a tree during a peasant rebellion. A replica of that tree stands somewhere in the park, overlooking the Forbidden City and perhaps representing a cold reminder to both the governing and the governed that Chinese history tends to repeat itself.
Old Apr 3, 19, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sinoflyer View Post
At other times of the day, I too would prefer Beihai and Houhai over Jingshan, but IIRC Beihai and Houhai only come to life in the afternoon and really get happening in the evening. Since OP should begin returning to the airport by 10 am, there won't be many breakfast options in their vicinity, at least ones that IMO stand out and are worthy of exploring.

Jingshan seems bland, but it harbors rich culture and history if one seeks them. Many Beijingers go there in the morning to dance, exercise, and blow off steam by screaming at the top of their lungs in virtual-anonymity. Jingshan was also where the Ming Dynasty ended (1644), when the last emperor hanged himself on a tree during a peasant rebellion. A replica of that tree stands somewhere in the park, overlooking the Forbidden City and perhaps representing a cold reminder to both the governing and the governed that Chinese history tends to repeat itself.
I agree that the 4a arrival makes things a bit challenging. My initial thought was head straight to Tiananmen Square for the flag raising ceremony, but the problem with this plan is that Palace Museum doesn't open until 830a, and there's not really anything else to "do" in that area during the early morning.
Old Apr 3, 19, 10:14 pm

I find that the best place in early morning is the Temple of Heaven. While the temples open later, you can walk around the park part and enjoy the people watching very early, like 6am.
moondog likes this.

Search this Thread