Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Providing Spending Money to a Minor Abroad in Shanghai?

Providing Spending Money to a Minor Abroad in Shanghai?

Old Jun 24, 19, 1:59 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
I have never encountered an ATM in China that required a 6 digit PIN. I've used my US issued bank card at many ATMs in China and have never needed to entire more than the 4 digit PIN. Most frequent ATMs I've used are either Bank of China, China Construction Bank but there have been others. I've also never had an issue with this in HK for that matter.
Old Jun 24, 19, 4:59 pm

I always use my 4-digit PIN Canadian bank card and never had an issue.
zippy the pinhead likes this.
Old Jun 25, 19, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead View Post
We have read some Chinese ATMs will require a six-digit pin, so for foreigners that have four-digit pins, supposedly tack on a couple of zeros at the front of the pin? Really?
No you should just enter your 4-digit PIN as usual but you will need to press the ENTER key on the keypad to signal that your PIN entry is finished.
Old Jun 25, 19, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
We have read some Chinese ATMs will require a six-digit pin, so for foreigners that have four-digit pins, supposedly tack on a couple of zeros at the front of the pin? Really?
Originally Posted by JPDM View Post
I always use my 4-digit PIN Canadian bank card and never had an issue.
6 digits is the norm but just putting in 4 digit PIN of my Canadian ATm and CC was never a problem.
Old Jun 25, 19, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 889 View Post
Just take normal precautions when using an ATM: hide the number as you key it in.

Best to have two ATM cards in case there's a problem with one or it's lost. Note that sometimes banks will block overseas use as suspicious and you have to call to clear the block

It's nice to feel you fit in waving your phone like everyone else, but not having Wechat or Alipay won't be a hardship.
Note two ATM cards from two different banks, not the same bank (ditto with credit cards). If there is a network issue or suspected fraud you don't want all cards to be unavailable.
Old Jun 25, 19, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
May I ask, what is UnionPay? They are a card payment clearing service like Visa or Mastercard?
Thanks for all the responses.
UnionPay is a payment card clearing company big in China and Asia. It's like Visa or MC. Not the card issued by the bank but the company that owns the brand and clears the transactions. Like Visa the company itself vs. your local bank that issues a Visa card.
Old Jun 25, 19, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver; LH FTL; IHG Spire; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold; ALL Silver; Hertz 5*; Starbucks Gold!
I can confirm that the "2 zeroes" approach does not work - if you're at a machine that only accepts Chinese cards with 6 digit pins, you simply can't use a foreign card there. The Yunnan Rural Credit Co-operative, for example - don't bother going there!

That said, it would be very rare to find a town without any ATMs that accept foreign cards at all, you might just need to find a different bank. The most useful I've found in small places is Agricultural Bank of China (ABC), but in a reasonably-sized city you'll have plenty of choice - ICBC and BOC are fairly widespread and will take Visa and MC.

Search this Thread