Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Can you recommend a place for drinks in the Bund, Shanghai?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

I'm getting into PVG Saturday at 6:30 pm. Never been there, but I was hoping to make it to town at a reasonable time and meet a friend for drinks. I'll be staying at Les Suites Orient in the Bund. Two part question:

a) Would it be reasonable to plan to meet with someone around 10pm? (taking into account immigration, transportation by car, check-in at my hotel)

b) What's a good place nearby for drinks? The Long Bar at the Waldorf Astoria looks good, but I have no idea if it's easy to just walk in on a Saturday night. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fsexman
I'm getting into PVG Saturday at 6:30 pm. Never been there, but I was hoping to make it to town at a reasonable time and meet a friend for drinks. I'll be staying at Les Suites Orient in the Bund. Two part question:

a) Would it be reasonable to plan to meet with someone around 10pm? (taking into account immigration, transportation by car, check-in at my hotel)

b) What's a good place nearby for drinks? The Long Bar at the Waldorf Astoria looks good, but I have no idea if it's easy to just walk in on a Saturday night. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
You should have no problem walking into the Long Bar on a Saturday night. A seat at the bar itself will surely be available, if not a table. It's a loooong bar!
fsexman likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fsexman

If it's not raining (the weather has been nice, but of course it changes), I suggest you cross the river and hit up Flair. Otherwise, apart from the Long Bar, Rouge, House of Roosevelt, and Peace Bar are okay. I have one more suggestion that is (uniquely) cheap, but I need to hit up the guy who told me about it. I will message him, and update this thread after he replies.
fsexman likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
For part a), I would be very confident that you will make a 10:00 PM meet-up. Probably even 9:00 - 9:30.
fsexman likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:20 am

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...-Shanghai.html

My friend got back to me, and this is the place he likes. I haven't been there myself yet, but he told me it's pretty nice, and the beers don't cost Y80 per bottle (which, is pretty much the standard in that area).
fsexman likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...-Shanghai.html

My friend got back to me, and this is the place he likes. I haven't been there myself yet, but he told me it's pretty nice, and the beers don't cost Y80 per bottle (which, is pretty much the standard in that area).
This is the place to go for people who want the bund views but not the bund prices. If you want to be feted with sparklers coming out of your champagne bottle delivered by women in bikinis then this is not the place to go. Many people want the full "bund experience" which you won't get at the Captain, but it's my favorite place on the bund for precisely that reason.

That being said, the heart of the burgeoning Shanghai cocktail culture is definitely not on the bund. It's in Xuhui District (old french concession)
fsexman likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
This is the place to go for people who want the bund views but not the bund prices. If you want to be feted with sparklers coming out of your champagne bottle delivered by women in bikinis then this is not the place to go. Many people want the full "bund experience" which you won't get at the Captain, but it's my favorite place on the bund for precisely that reason.

That being said, the heart of the burgeoning Shanghai cocktail culture is definitely not on the bund. It's in Xuhui District (old french concession)
As you know quite well, I am a beer guy, and the Carlsberg at Rouge or M1NT is no different than the Crocus. But, whenever I go to Flair, I pony up for their craft cocktails.
fsexman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.