FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Air China Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1960422-air-china-question.html)

Absolutsp7 Mar 11, 2019 7:42 pm

Air China Question

Hello all,

In September, I am flying from DC to Ho Chi Minh CIty on Air China (return). Both my connections are relatively short (2.5 hours and 70 minutes). If I miss a connection, it is not a big deal and I do have a valid Chinese visa anyway. My question is, if I miss a connection due to flight delays, what will Air China do for me? I should also mention that I booked my flights directly from the Air China Website and it is all on 1 ticket.

Thanks
Scott

moondog Mar 12, 2019 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Absolutsp7 (Post 30875508)
Hello all,

In September, I am flying from DC to Ho Chi Minh CIty on Air China (return). Both my connections are relatively short (2.5 hours and 70 minutes). If I miss a connection, it is not a big deal and I do have a valid Chinese visa anyway. My question is, if I miss a connection due to flight delays, what will Air China do for me? I should also mention that I booked my flights directly from the Air China Website and it is all on 1 ticket.

Thanks
Scott

I like the outbound connection because iad PEK has a good track record, but 70 minutes on the return is too tight. Have you thought about spending a night in Beijing on the way back? CA might hook you up with a hotel, but hotels aren't especially expensive if they don't.

Absolutsp7 Mar 12, 2019 2:44 am

Hi

Yes. I have thought about it. I don't have a problem with it. Will CA book me on a new flight? How does that process work?

Thanks

YuropFlyer Mar 12, 2019 3:05 am

No, if you booked already, they won't rebook you for free IN ADVANCE (unless the fare is changable)

However, since you seem not to mind staying in PEK for an overnight, Air China will provide a hotel (and meals) should you missconnect. And obviously rebook your flight.

I do not second moondog, by the way - 70min in PEK is certainly tight, but perfectly doable. INT-INT, it is.

Just head straight towards international transfers, and in case of queues, make yourself being noticed. They got screens showing flights closing soon - those people will be let ahead.

Unless the incoming flight is delayed more than 30min or so, you'll make your connection IF no queues or you do whatever reasonable there can be done to be let in #1 . If it's an on time arrival, you might even have time for the quick visit to the lounge (should your status/travel class allow for that)

Absolutsp7 Mar 12, 2019 3:16 am

Thanks! Yes, I would not expect them to change me in advance, but how does the process go for rebooking in Beijing if I do miss my connection once there?

Thanks

moondog Mar 12, 2019 3:41 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 30876327)
No, if you booked already, they won't rebook you for free IN ADVANCE (unless the fare is changable)

However, since you seem not to mind staying in PEK for an overnight, Air China will provide a hotel (and meals) should you missconnect. And obviously rebook your flight.

I do not second moondog, by the way - 70min in PEK is certainly tight, but perfectly doable. INT-INT, it is.

Just head straight towards international transfers, and in case of queues, make yourself being noticed. They got screens showing flights closing soon - those people will be let ahead.

Unless the incoming flight is delayed more than 30min or so, you'll make your connection IF no queues or you do whatever reasonable there can be done to be let in #1 . If it's an on time arrival, you might even have time for the quick visit to the lounge (should your status/travel class allow for that)

The problem with SE Asia to PEK is that most flights use the HKG-PEK path, which is often slot restricted. I can only give the OP a 70% chance of successfully pulling off the 70 minute connection on the return, but I agree with you that CA will hook him up if he misses it...and, he will get a chance to enjoy a night in Beijing

JPDM Mar 12, 2019 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Absolutsp7 (Post 30876357)
Thanks! Yes, I would not expect them to change me in advance, but how does the process go for rebooking in Beijing if I do miss my connection once there?

Thanks

Talk to someone from Air China.

moondog Mar 12, 2019 8:22 am

Originally Posted by JPDM (Post 30877096)
Talk to someone from Air China.

I would also attempt this, noting the following points:

1. Provide a link to data on SGN-PEK delay stats
2. State you would prefer to eliminate uncertainties from your trip, and request a longer connection

A lot of people like to pan Chinese airlines here, and I've had some enormous battles myself, but IME the current generation of frontline staff is honestly pretty sharp. In other words, if you explain to them that the 70 minute connection (from a delay prone flight) worries you, they will switch you to the next day's PEK-IAD flight.

moondog Mar 12, 2019 8:45 am

I also feel compelled to point out that Beijing is pretty awesome!

sinoflyer Mar 13, 2019 5:49 pm

I was overnighted once by CA on a missed INT-INT connection in PEK. Even on a J ticket, I felt the hotel accommodation was not up to Western standards. Transferring between the hotel and airport was also a PITA, which made the idea of taking the airport Express for a quick jaunt in the city less appealing. But that was four years ago and things may have changed.

Also, there are many other U.S.-bound flights later in the day (to LAX at 15:00 and 21:00, for example, plus flights on UA, AA, DL) such that, IMO, an overnight reroute/reaccommodation is unlikely. If your flight appears destined to misconnect, from my experience CA staff will have already rebooked you by the time you land in PEK.