Search

China Hotspot

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:49 pm
Used to be garyjr316
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
China Hotspot

I'm traveling to China for about 7 days (Beijing & Shanghai). In the past I just purchased a SIM card and plugged it into my phone. However I've experienced issues of the phone draining down quicker, dying completely, etc. I was thinking that it might make more sense to just rent a wifi hotspot instead. I can make calls via facebook using a VPN if I need to. Does anyone have any experience using a hotspot company and who they would recommend?

Thanks,

Gary
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:15 pm

You can check out 3g solutions. The company is quite reliable in China and the price is also reasonable compared to others. However, i found the use of VPN quite annoying. The connection could be slow and unstable, or sometimes just doesn't work at all.

Last edited by jstocksie3; Mar 7, 2019 at 5:17 pm Reason: wrong spelling
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:08 pm
Used to be garyjr316
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
The company I was looking at was Cello Mobile. They seem to have good reviews and are relatively reasonably priced. Why do you not like the VPN option? It worked well for me when I used it in the past.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:07 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Please follow this in the China forum.

l'etoile
sr moderator
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:20 pm

3G Solutions mentioned above gets good reviews. The gizmo will be waiting for you at the hotel and they can pre-install the VPN.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:38 am

Yes, 3G can drain your battery pretty quickly, especially if your phone is older. But consider just getting a SIM and carrying around a power pack instead. A bit simpler than going the hotspot route.

Remember too that to use many WIFI spots you first need to receive an SMS on a Chinese number. So a Chinese SIM in your phone can be useful.
Pocatello likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.