Wiki Posts
Search

Shenzhen for the cinema (no really) [from Hong Kong]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Shenzhen for the cinema (no really) [from Hong Kong]

Heading to HKG this weekend and I want to catch a movie that isn't on release in HKG. (total lack of speaking the language may be a slight issue in the cinema but what the heck)

Anyone done a day trip over the border to go to the cinema and have any advice? I'm guessing a shopping day-trip will get me to the right place and I only need a couple of hours, assuming I can find the cinema.

Thanks team!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Do you have a visa to enter mainland china?

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: CX AY DL
What movie are you looking for lol

It depends on which port of entry you're using:-
from Lo Wu, there's an imax in KK Mall near Grand Theatre station
from Lok Ma Chau, try Coco Park
from Shenzhen Bay, try Coastal City

if you can read Chinese, download "Dianping" for cheaper tickets and reviews.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by fishball
What movie are you looking for lol

It depends on which port of entry you're using:-
from Lo Wu, there's an imax in KK Mall near Grand Theatre station
from Lok Ma Chau, try Coco Park
from Shenzhen Bay, try Coastal City

if you can read Chinese, download "Dianping" for cheaper tickets and reviews.
Thanks, it's "The wandering earth". Sci-Fi blockbuster and should be on iMax.

And no I don't have a visa for mainland China which is why I was thinking a "shopping day trip" or similar...
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by tinkicker
Thanks, it's "The wandering earth". Sci-Fi blockbuster and should be on iMax.

And no I don't have a visa for mainland China which is why I was thinking a "shopping day trip" or similar...
You still need a visa, even for shopping. It says your location is UK, presumably a UK citizen which means you are eligible for the border visa. However, it does cost quite a bit if you are a UK citizen. It also means your border crossing time will be longer.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: CX AY DL
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
You still need a visa, even for shopping. It says your location is UK, presumably a UK citizen which means you are eligible for the border visa. However, it does cost quite a bit if you are a UK citizen. It also means your border crossing time will be longer.
and you can only enter from Lo Wu (rail) or Huanggang (bus) port - both have metro connections on the other side
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:03 am

If anything, movies come out even slower and many times censored in the mainland vs HK. Sure HK isn't showing it?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by burgerkong
If anything, movies come out even slower and many times censored in the mainland vs HK. Sure HK isn't showing it?
It is a Chinese movie so not censored in that sense. I saw it in Montreal last week, so I am surprised that it is not showing in HK. Not that good. Maybe it is not my style of movie.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I live in Shenzhen and exclusively go to the cinema at the two cinemas in Fanling, NT. I just cannot be bothered to try to get tickets for the correct movie here.

If you've got a British passport then you can get the Shenzhen visa at the border. If it's a new passport then bring your old one too. And the HK immigration slip. I've had visitors asked for these items at Louhu border. Process is very straightforward though. There are machines to take the required official photo receipt for free. And your food and drink for the day will be between one quarter and one third of the cost of HK and better quality.

Last edited by ftrichard; Feb 19, 2019 at 1:50 am
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Saw it in Boston last week. Probably a great leap forward for China in terms of CGI effects but the story line, to me, wasn't engaging. I moved away from global disaster movies after Independence Day (1996) and its run of predecessors. Maybe there were cultural elements of the story that I couldn't relate to or the subtitles (which fly by very quickly) were distractions and poor translations. In any case, rather than feeling nail biting suspense or emotional attachment to the characters I was a passive spectator.

Last edited by edsh; Feb 19, 2019 at 4:26 pm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by edsh
Saw it in Boston last week. Probably a great leap forward for China in terms of CGI effects but the story line, to me, wasn't engaging. I moved away from global disaster movies after Independence Day (1996) and its run of predecessors. Maybe there were cultural elements of the story that I couldn't relate to or the subtitles (which fly by very quickly) were distractions and poor translations. In any case, rather than feeling nail biting suspense or emotional attachment to the characters I was a passive spectator.
Watching it I was thinking of "Independence Say" too. Instead of Americans saving the world, it's the Chinese saving the world. Patriotic movie from a different perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.