Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

US Department of State Issues - Travel Advisory for China

https://onemileatatime.com/china-travel-advisory/

Any worries here?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:40 pm

It is now "Level 2 - Exercise Extreme Caution", same as France, Germany, United Kingdom, Denmark, Belgium... Are you worried about these other places too?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPDM
It is now "Level 2 - Exercise Extreme Caution", same as France, Germany, United Kingdom, Denmark, Belgium... Are you worried about these other places too?
I've been to those other places, haven't to China (though I'm going next month).
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha
Do you have close relatives that may be under investigation for being corrupt by Chinese officials or wanted for corruption by China?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lolcoaster
Do you have close relatives that may be under investigation for being corrupt by Chinese officials or wanted for corruption by China?
ha guessing rhetorical question but the answer is no.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Don't say or do anything political. That's it.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:41 pm

Considering your life is in much bigger danger in average in the US compared to China, the warning is a total joke and looks very much like political propaganda coming from the Dotard dictatorship.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Considering your life is in much bigger danger in average in the US compared to China, the warning is a total joke and looks very much like political propaganda coming from the Dotard dictatorship.
True but I don't think the fear is losing my life. The fear is not being able to leave or being held for questioning.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

True but I don't think the fear is losing my life. The fear is not being able to leave or being held for questioning.
Why do you have this fear?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by moondog
Why do you have this fear?
I'm making assumptions here, but presumably OP is Chinese dual-national -- which in itself is against Chinese law.

I would say from a purely mathematical probability perspective, risks are low. However, really depends on personal situation of OP: which I would not recommend they go into on this forum. E.g. are they a relative of, or themselves a tax exile?

Some posters (not you!) have a very blinkered perspective...oddly enough, they tend not to reside in China!

tb
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:22 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Did Travel advisory cause price drop in tickets?

Seen many RT at below $400
1:40am - 9:40am +1Flight spans 1 day
China Southern Airlines
Good Flight (7.4/10)
17h 0m (1 stop)

Wi-Fi, Entertainment, and Power information
Departure airport:LAX - 2h 50m in SHE Layover 2h 50m in SHEArrival airport:- PEK
$380
roundtrip
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:17 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
As much as I like trumpeting how safe China is petty crime-wise, that country is still much worse with food hygiene and traffic (be it cars on the road, or cars on the...sidewalk). In that quotidian existential sense, China’s a bigger threat.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Departure airport:LAX - 2h 50m in SHE Layover 2h 50m in SHEArrival airport:- PEK
$380
roundtrip
That flight is also quite cheap in business class. There are a lot of China routes that make questionable sense from a demand perspective, but this one arguably tops the list. That having been said, if TNA-HEL actually launches this spring, it will presumably claim this honor.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by alphaod
Don't say or do anything political. That's it.
I really don't know why anyone would want to participate in politics in any country other than his or her own. That's a bit like commenting about the way things are run in someone else's house. Whether you think it's the best run place in the world or you think it's the worst, it's not your place to comment on it. If you don't like the way things are run there, you can always just leave.

I mean, for those of us who aren't Chinese, what would you think if some Chinese citizen went to a political event in your country? Personally, I'd think it was a bit strange, even if I agreed with the cause they claim to support, because they're not "one of you" (aka a member of the group that consists of citizens of your country). After they become a permanent resident or become a citizen or even have something other than a short term visitor visa, it's different, but short term visitors at political events? That just seems...wrong. Now, if it's YOUR country, you can't just go home, you ARE home, and participating in politics is okay.

Yeah but what would the Chinese gain by holding you? Chances are, unless you're someone like Elon Musk, Tim Cook, Sergey Brin, etc., they wouldn't gain anything. And Elon Musk was actually in Shanghai recently so even with his fame, he's not concerned.

Last edited by STS-134; Jan 10, 2019 at 5:55 pm
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trueblu
I'm making assumptions here, but presumably OP is Chinese dual-national -- which in itself is against Chinese law.

I would say from a purely mathematical probability perspective, risks are low. However, really depends on personal situation of OP: which I would not recommend they go into on this forum. E.g. are they a relative of, or themselves a tax exile?

Some posters (not you!) have a very blinkered perspective...oddly enough, they tend not to reside in China!

tb
Not a dual national. Just a regular old American.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.