Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

From HK to Guangzhou...train or plane?

Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

For those of you who travel this route, do you find it easier by air or rail? Specifically, the new high speed train. Oh, and I presume, that even now (since this is Canton), they can still understand Cantonese in the train stations?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:24 pm

Everybody takes the train. Much too close to fly.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:24 pm

There are three train routes: the new HSR from West Kowloon, the traditional direct train from Hung Hom, and an indirect route heading first by MTR to Shenzhen, then taking a domestic Chinese train to Guangzhou.

The HSR sitting-on-the-train time is shortest, but the arrival station in Guangzhou is inconvenient. The traditional direct train is a bit slower, but you arrive in the center more or less of Guangzhou. The indirect route can be a bit cumbersome because of the border crossing, but it's cheapest.

There're also buses, but they're slow and not too comfortable. Nonetheless, in some cases -- if you're starting from HKIA for example -- the bus may be worth considering.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
The HSR sitting-on-the-train time is shortest, but the arrival station in Guangzhou is inconvenient.
Say, to the Park Hyatt, for a person whose really bad with directions, what degree of difficulty would you estimate it is navigating from the arrival station to the hotel? Is the subway system similar to that of Shanghai's?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:11 pm

On hour by subway with 2 transfers, a little over 30 minutes by taxi.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:50 pm

If money's an issue and you've been to China before, my first suggestion would be the step-by-step route via Shenzhen.

Otherwise I'd go the traditional route from Hung Hom: it's so much more convenient to arrive at Guangzhou East Station instead of Guangzhou South, Just look at a map. But you have to check the train schedule; HSR trains are more frequent.

Last edited by 889; Jan 1, 2019 at 6:55 pm
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
AFAIK the only situation where flying makes sense is when transiting HKIA.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks, guys. This has been helpful. Think I'll opt for the traditional train from Hung Hom, seems the most convenient, though I was looking forward to trying the HSR!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Are there not only a couple of flights per day between the two cities in any case?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ardecos
Are there not only a couple of flights per day between the two cities in any case?
Yes, either early morning or late evenings via KA. My transportation on these trips into Guangzhou are reimbursable where I have wide discretion, where a few extra flights & hotel stays aren't an issue. I was considering booking RT KA J to earn more MPC points with the outside chance of maybe hitting DM. Might be easier to just hire a car/taxi from CAN, rather than making the effort to navigate the subway.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You also need to get to HKIA, and of course ATC delays are common.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I just came back a week ago from staying at the Hilton Tianhe, a wee bit north of the Park Hyatt. Took the old Intercity Through Train from Hung Hom into Guangzhou East Station, and the new high speed rail out of Guangzhou South Station back to Hong Kong.

Although I enjoyed the novelty of the new high speed train, and going through Chinese immigration/customs in Hong Kong at the new station, to be honest getting to Guangzhou South station from that side of Guangzhou was kind of a pain. I was planning on taking the metro, but I had a carry on and a full suitcase, and my train was departing at 8:20 pm, so I didn't want to mess around with the evening rush hour, so I took a taxi.

Even though the train from Hung Hom is slower, I think the total travel time to your hotel would be about the same as the HSR, considering how close Guangzhou East is to the Park Hyatt. It's 3 subway stops south (same line, but with a change at Tiyu Xilu station) or a quick taxi ride.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:07 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Another vote for Guangzhou East. GZ South is a real slog from the city, and re:OP’s question, the airport would also be out of the way.

As an aside, is it already possible to solely travel by metro from Foshan to Shenzhen?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:18 am

Not yet, I don't think. It awaits "planned" expansion of the Dongguan Metro to connect with Shenzhen and Guangzhou Metros.

(Actually, since the MTR and Shenzhen Metro are essentially linked now with a transfer station, maybe someday you'll be able to travel from Central to Foshan wholly by rail mass transit.)
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
As an aside, is it already possible to solely travel by metro from Foshan to Shenzhen?
I believe Metro Line 7 (colored lime green) is partially in operation now. I have not yet taken it! I covers 9 stations from Guangzhou South Station to Higher Education Mega Center South Station.
After completion, the Guangfo metro line runs between Xincheng Dong in Foshan and Yangang in Guangzhou. Journey time will be more than 1 hour, depends on your final destination.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.