Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-CTU then CTU-SIN Do we have to change terminals at CTU

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental, Northwest, Delta, United, KAL
SFO-CTU then CTU-SIN Do we have to change terminals at CTU

As senior travelers, we find that we enjoy a trip more if we have a pretty good idea of what we will have to deal with in airports that are new to us. We arrive Chengdu CTU at 6 a.m. on a Wednesday on a United flight from SFO. We depart for Singapore SIN at 9:55 a.m. on a Star Alliance Air China flight. We would like to know if we must leave the international terminal for any reason before boarding our flight to Singapore. We plan on having our luggage checked through from SFO to SIN. If we are able to stay in the same terminal for arrival and departure, do we have to pass through security again? Also, is food available in the international terminal or do we have to leave and return through security to obtain a meal? Finally, Air China has told us that we cannot get a seat assignment in advance. They will be assigned at check-in for the Singapore flight. Does this mean we must go to the main ticket counter? Or can we simply hang out near the departure gate? Thank you for any information you can provide.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
It is worth verifying that you can check your luggage through to SIN. There are some occasions when this is possible especially if you use the same airline on the same booking, but it by no means certain otherwise. If you cannot check your luggage through then you will have to go through Chinese immigration, collect your bags and re-check them. This will mean having a visa, or TWOV if Chengdu offer this. I've not done an INT-INT transfer through Chengdu but I have done through Guangzhou and it was pretty painless. However, that was with China Southern (both flights, same booking) and Guangzhou is their home airport.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:34 am
qpr

Originally Posted by Ardecos
. This will mean having a visa, or TWOV if Chengdu offer this. .
There's no need for a visa as Chengdu offer 24h and 144h twov.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental, Northwest, Delta, United, KAL
Thank you. It is certainly worth trying! We will post here upon our return as to our success in checking through to SIN. I decided to ask United via email to see what they would say and one reply said no and a second reply said yes, provided I have the onward tickets. So we'll see.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ardecos
It is worth verifying that you can check your luggage through to SIN. There are some occasions when this is possible especially if you use the same airline on the same booking, but it by no means certain otherwise. If you cannot check your luggage through then you will have to go through Chinese immigration, collect your bags and re-check them. This will mean having a visa, or TWOV if Chengdu offer this. I've not done an INT-INT transfer through Chengdu but I have done through Guangzhou and it was pretty painless. However, that was with China Southern (both flights, same booking) and Guangzhou is their home airport.
CTU is arguably CA's "second home", but in this case through checking rests on the shoulders of UA in SFO.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
You don't need to change terminal since UA9 will land in T1 and all international flights for CA depart from T1. Actually I think all international flights depart from T1 in CTU

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.