Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Tipping in China - what is best practice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping in China - what is best practice?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:27 pm

There is a driver that I used several times before for the Wall and got to know him quite well. The first time that he got a tip, his reaction what, "why?". He was even more surprised by an American who gave him a very good tip and then wrote a one-star review.
There is a saying, "service is included, except for Americans who can't help it and have to tip".
I certainly would never tip a driver.
YuropFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
I am renting a driver for a day in Beijing to go to the Great Wall, no tour guide. Solo traveler. The confirmation I received states the price does not include "meal and tips (optional)." In researching whether/how much to tip the driver, I am running into two conclusions:

a) no tip is required, or
b) drivers and tour guides for foreign tourists are the exception to the no tipping rule in China, they are underpaid because it is expected they will make money from tips. The recommended tip for the driver is 100+ yuan per person/day.

Is a or b the recommended option for respecting local norms? Thank you!!
Tipping is not required, and drivers are really underpaid though not due to tipping but rather government policy and economics. So both are true in a way.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tauphi
Tipping is not required, and drivers are really underpaid though not due to tipping but rather government policy and economics. So both are true in a way.
My SOP is to buy drivers lunch, whether or not I accompany them. This usually costs around Y50, though sometimes Y100. The logic is that when they eat near their houses, they can get by on Y20, but this is not possible at tourist traps.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:27 am

What government policy? The drivers that I know are doing very very well. I am talking to drivers catering to foreign tourists which is the topic here.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by JPDM
What government policy? The drivers that I know are doing very very well. I am talking to drivers catering to foreign tourists which is the topic here.
The government policy of artificially keeping taxi fares low for nearly two decades. Even if your driver is mainly catering for foreign tourists he is still operating in the same overall market and therefore his fares will have been driven down compared to where it should be if you look at the income distribution in general.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:48 am

The government policy of artificially keeping taxi fares low for nearly two decades. Even if your driver is mainly catering for foreign tourists he is still operating in the same overall market and therefore his fares will have been driven down compared to where it should be if you look at the income distribution in general.
Considering that Didi fares are not regulated and they are often cheaper than taxis, I am not sure that taxi fares are kept artificially low.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
Considering that Didi fares are not regulated and they are often cheaper than taxis, I am not sure that taxi fares are kept artificially low.
Didi is hardly setting fares based on market conditions. It's an outfit that is burning cash at rates last seen during the dot-com era.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Didi is hardly setting fares based on market conditions. It's an outfit that is burning cash at rates last seen during the dot-com era.
Agreed. My previous company went to battle with well funded Chinese firms, and we honestly never had a chance. Didi is sitting on a big pile of cash, and will burn it as needed, in order to win. Meituan also has a lot of money, but I expect them to bow out soon, if they haven't already.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Hotel tipping

In China, I don't tip for meals, taxi's, or private drivers. But at hotels when staying multiple nights (3-7) I do tip both the front desk manager & the EL supervisor, usually about Y100. Its done in a white envelope thanking them for the suite upgrade & EL special services. During & before CNY, it's Y200 in a red envelope, & Y50 to other 'good' EL staff, amazing results on the repeat hotel stays.

Last edited by Jiatong; Apr 26, 2019 at 5:59 am Reason: splng
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:45 pm

It’s called a bribe. Not tipping...
User Name likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Jiatong
In China, I don't tip for meals, taxi's, or private drivers. But at hotels when staying multiple nights (3-7) I do tip both the front desk manager & the EL supervisor, usually about Y100. Its done in a white envelope thanking them for the suite upgrade & EL special services. During & before CNY, it's Y200 in a red envelope, & Y50 to other 'good' EL staff, amazing results on the repeat hotel stays.
This thread is about tipping - what you are doing is bribery. I'm surprised anyone would admit to this publicly. It's very poor behaviour.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by 889
If you're on a group tour of China -- and it doesn't sound like you are -- then Westerners are usually expected to tip the tour leader at the end.

Otherwise, tipping is very rare. I'll round-up if the barber did a nice job. Otherwise, no tipping.
I don't ever tip at all in China. That's what I love about travelling in Asia. Quite frankly, I think the idea of tipping is dumb, but I know there will always be two sides to this debate and it'll never end.
fishball likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.