Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Tipping in China - what is best practice?

Tipping in China - what is best practice?

Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Thanks.

We will be staying at the Fairmont. What about tipping bell boys?

We will be going to China by ourselves. If we decide to take group sightseeing tours, what about tipping the tour guide or bus drivers?
Ordinarily, no. However, in luxury American hotels, they may expect a tip from western guests. Since I wouldn't be privy to a never before visited property's customs or expectations, upon checking in, I'll request my luggage be brought to my room, while I have tea, drink, or whatever excuse. I'll return about 60 minutes after being informed that my room is ready. If my (our) luggage is neatly placed in the room, no tip is expected, which is always the case in Japan. Or, my bags will either be (1) not in the room, or (2) the FD/Lounge staff will ask if I'd like someone to bring up my luggage (which I've already instructed them to do). I suspect this is to ensure there's someone in the room to give a tip, which has always been the case, at least for me, in any luxury hotel I've stayed in Hong Kong or London.

In my experiences in China (limited to Shanghai and Guangzhou), I've, ah, experienced both.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by synthkeys
@JPDM I hear you. I'm not trying to defend or advocate. I understand in most of the world (i.e. not America or maybe the UK) tipping is not customary or expected. But I think there's an aspect to tipping that's not as understood. Many consider a tip as a reward for good service and many times it is. Oh the wait staff did an exceptional job serving for dinner, let's reward them. But there's also the idea of using a tip as an incentive for future good service. If I frequent the same bar and tip the bartender well, the bartender will remember me next time, and take care of me.

I've worked in the financial industry most of my career. I believe the concept of the year-end bonus is as much about an incentive for next year as it as a reward the the past year.

Anyway, I don't want to go on too much. Its just what I do. My girlfriend in China complains about it too. "Why did you give the taxi driver 5 yuan extra! Give it to me!" The hotel I stay in is pretty nice but its no Ritz Carlton, not even a Hilton , 5 star but it's Chinese 5 star. The service is not quite up to what I would see in a western hotel. Tipping the staff gives them a little incentive to help remember who I am and help me out when I need it. So I have no problem playing the ugly American who throws money away on useless tipping.
The other thing to consider is that your actions help to create expectations - which are then assumed from the rest of us living in China.

Tipping is not expected, although depending on how good the driver is I will round up on taxi fares (if they have taken the shortest or fastest route without being asked for example).

As pointed out, you'll get the same recognition, and the same service, if you don't tip. You say in an earlier post you don't treat staff like 'the help' - but then you think they will remember you only if you pay them?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Service sector employees are paid to do their jobs by their employers. China and the USA are different beasts. Sure, refusing a few coins from a taxi driver as change doesn't rock the world, but getting overzealous on the tipping front perpetuates expectations.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:35 am

There is a driver that I often use in Beijing for the Great Wall. I still remember the story that he told me the first time that he got a tip. His reaction was like. "Wow, but why?. Can you believe he paid me more than we agreed?" Last year he was even more puzzled when an American left him a $10 tip but then wrote a one-star review.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The other thing to consider is that your actions help to create expectations - which are then assumed from the rest of us living in China.

Tipping is not expected, although depending on how good the driver is I will round up on taxi fares (if they have taken the shortest or fastest route without being asked for example).

As pointed out, you'll get the same recognition, and the same service, if you don't tip. You say in an earlier post you don't treat staff like 'the help' - but then you think they will remember you only if you pay them?
Herein lies the problem. As an American visiting/traveling, there are certain establishments where the expectations are that I tip. Not many places, but certain American hotels expect a tip from me, but not from non-Americans. I don't like it, but, it's just reality--likely the result of what you've mentioned above. For a single night, I couldn't care less and ignore the subtle hints for the tip; however, on longer stays, there's the balance of handing out a 20 RMB (a few bucks which literally means absolutely nothing to me), or have the bellboy annoyed/disappointed, rightly or wrongly, for a perceived American stiffing him. Same with the housekeeping staff.

In the end, you're right, it would be far better for Americans to simply go with the whatever the local norms/customs are when traveling. In the long run, this works out better for everyone, in my view.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Ardecos
On one of my early trips I tried giving a tip to bell boy and had it thrown back at me. I learned my lesson not to offend the locals.
Ha. We went to a restaurant in Houhai as a group. We rounded up the bill to whatever worked to split evenly with party (maybe RMB 550 to RMB600 for a group of 6). The waiter chased us down to return the change, and when we told him it was a little extra for him he refused it.

On the other hand, once after getting the "Free" hotel shoe shine delivered back to the room, the person paused and looked like she was waiting for a little something for the effort. She ended up with 5 or 10 kuai. (I couldn't offer total consciousness on her deathbed.)
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

Exactly. Please don't ruin China by bringing in tipping. If foreign tourists to the USA have to figure out what percentage to add on to the abstract number known as the fee to which service, then surely foreign tourists to China can learn to keep their wallets in their pants for a week or two. Just appreciate being treated like a customer rather than a walking sack of money to be pilfered from for providing even the most insignificant forms of assistance.

Originally Posted by Visconti
Herein lies the problem. As an American visiting/traveling, there are certain establishments where the expectations are that I tip. Not many places, but certain American hotels expect a tip from me, but not from non-Americans. I don't like it, but, it's just reality--likely the result of what you've mentioned above. For a single night, I couldn't care less and ignore the subtle hints for the tip; however, on longer stays, there's the balance of handing out a 20 RMB (a few bucks which literally means absolutely nothing to me), or have the bellboy annoyed/disappointed, rightly or wrongly, for a perceived American stiffing him. Same with the housekeeping staff.

In the end, you're right, it would be far better for Americans to simply go with the whatever the local norms/customs are when traveling. In the long run, this works out better for everyone, in my view.
Stayed a night at the Beijing airport Ibis a couple of years ago when a staff member seemed to hang around me while I (and another, Chinese looking group) were checking in. The Chinese looking group finished checking in first and were left to lug their bags up to their room(s) unassisted. Meanwhile the staff member waits for me and brings my bag up unrequested. As he is leaving the room the old hand comes out and I have enough Chinese to let him know which country we are in and more importantly which country we are not in. No tip that night and no return business from me to that hotel either.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by synthkeys
I apologize but I'm one of those Americans that can't stop tipping. Although my tipping is limited to taxi drivers and the hotel staff since I always stay in the same hotel with extended stays, I spend close to 6 months of the year usually about a month at a time. The hotel staff, bellboys and house cleaning, are always happy to receive tips. In addition to tipping I also try to get to know them personally and not treat them like "the help". In the morning, I take a taxi to my office and the drivers are pretty regular so I add a few yuan all the time. If I stay close to New Year, I like to give red packets out also. I've never tried to tip in a restaurant nor would I think its appropriate.

For me, building that relationship does matter and the staff is always ready to help me out when I need, like coming quickly if I call for something, bring extra water, towels, etc. I am not advocating an attempt to export tipping culture, it's just my experience. It's kind of baked into me and I only do it where mentioned above. I've never had a tip refused in China.
+1.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by catcher1
+1.
I will use private drivers in Beijing and Shanghai to show my family and myself the tourist attractions. Should I tip or not tip the drivers? What is expected. I found both through recommendations on Trip Advisor,
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I will use private drivers in Beijing and Shanghai to show my family and myself the tourist attractions. Should I tip or not tip the drivers? What is expected. I found both through recommendations on Trip Advisor,
My SOP is to pay for the driver's lunch.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by moondog
My SOP is to pay for the driver's lunch.
I have used the same driver several times for the Great Wall. One time, I asked him to join us for lunch. He thanked us but said that he was already getting a free lunch from the restaurant. If you ever hd a driver take you to the Pearl Market in Beijing, you may have notice that when leaving he appears to be paying for parking. Actually he is getting paid for taking you there. How much depends on how many people and how long you stayed. Have you also seen that most drivers will help you buy the entrance and lift tickets at he Great Wall. Why do you think that they are doing this?
My point is, they are often getting more than what you are paying.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: CX Gold, KE Morning Calm, Marriott Titanium
Basically there is no tipping culture in China or should I say Asia, you pay what the fare is listed and that is. The service charge is included, and that is their job to serve you. Paying tips to someone would not give the incentive to serve better, it is more likely the guy respecting his job or not. At least for a Chinese, it is the responsibility to perform your duty and do not expect a tip. (The only place you have to tip is when you go for a massage)

But then we normally just round up the yuen for the sake of not getting those coins back, like 15.6 to 16 or 18 to 20

In Japan, it is an offence to give the tip.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Best practice is NOT to tip! You can round up a bit, but just a little, if you're paying in cash. Locals don't tip and it's not expected at all.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
I am renting a driver for a day in Beijing to go to the Great Wall, no tour guide. Solo traveler. The confirmation I received states the price does not include "meal and tips (optional)." In researching whether/how much to tip the driver, I am running into two conclusions:

a) no tip is required, or
b) drivers and tour guides for foreign tourists are the exception to the no tipping rule in China, they are underpaid because it is expected they will make money from tips. The recommended tip for the driver is 100+ yuan per person/day.

Is a or b the recommended option for respecting local norms? Thank you!!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:36 pm

For typical things like taxi, hotel or meals, I'd say you don't need to tip as it's not really the norm in China.

However, if you're working with tour guides or people who interact with foreigners often, they might be accustomed to the tipping practice - and might even expect it. It might be helpful to try and use your best judgment when it comes to tipping - of course, you never really have to tip, but I say it wouldn't hurt if the service was really exceptional.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.