Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Year Eve in Shanghai - Countdown?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:13 am
Original Poster

New Year Eve in Shanghai - Countdown?

Any countdown event with fireworks and stuff?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by reddevil0728
Any countdown event with fireworks and stuff?
​​​​​​There will presumably be a fireworks display on the river, viewable from both sides, but I wouldn't dream of going near there unless I was staying in a hotel on the river, in which case I'd stay in the hotel. The stampede several years ago turned me off to the idea.
uanj and sinoflyer like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by moondog
​​​​​​There will presumably be a fireworks display on the river, viewable from both sides, but I wouldn't dream of going near there unless I was staying in a hotel on the river, in which case I'd stay in the hotel. The stampede several years ago turned me off to the idea.
I think that stampede, which was my first one in the city and I decided not to head down, took the wind out of the sails for everyone. I seem to remember the following year's NYE events got canceled as well.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:07 pm

There is nothing on new year's eve for a couple of years at least.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:45 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO

Shanghai is expecting to experience a 3D laser firework show on the night of New Year Eve 2019. This show will be lighting up the surrounding area of Huangpu River. It will be taking place for approximately 15 minutes prior to the countdown. It has been organized before as well where viewers get to see the laser lights coming alive altogether at the same time with 4 boats cruising about River Huangpu fully loaded with fireworks all to be set off during midnight. Also you can enjoy the fireworks organized by The Oriental Pearl Tower. When you are willing to experience the best nightlife entertainment, remember that Shanghai will never disappoint you.

New Years Eve Shanghai 2019
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
Interesting. I just received this note from The W Shanghai earlier this week, “Prepare around 1 hour in advance to get to and from your planned evening location and do note that there will be no fireworks at the Bund area due to local government restrictions.”
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mike2K
Interesting. I just received this note from The W Shanghai earlier this week, “Prepare around 1 hour in advance to get to and from your planned evening location and do note that there will be no fireworks at the Bund area due to local government restrictions.”
As I mentioned up thread, if I was staying at a hotel on the river (such as the W), I wouldn't leave. Even without fireworks, it should be reasonably fun there. The "prepare around 1 hour in advance" suggestion is definitely no joke, especially insofar as the trek back is concerned because taxis can be exceptionally hard to grab on NYE. To solve this problem, some of my friends actually rent a city bus on NYE for around Y1000 for the entire night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.