Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Preference of airlines between HKG and PVG?

Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

Need a one way between HKG and PVG in May. On my date, looks like my best options are China eastern and HK airlines?

Anyone have a preference based on personal experience?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have status with a skyteam airline? If that's the case then China Eastern is the obvious choice. If not they are pretty much the same.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:25 pm

Will this be in economy? I flew short international sectors on China Eastern and they are fine for 2-3 hour flights. I haven't flew MU on HKG-PVG yet but will fly PVG-HKG near the end of March, and can provide more information on that specific flight after,
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:02 pm

If you're price sensitive, there's Spring Airlines.

Sometimes they are cheaper flying out of Shenzhen to Hongqiao.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane
Hi all,

Need a one way between HKG and PVG in May. On my date, looks like my best options are China eastern and HK airlines?

Anyone have a preference based on personal experience?
1. it's too early to book decent prices for May (non issue if you're using miles, of course)

2. SHA is much more convenient to PVG, and prices are often comparable, though there are significantly fewer flights

3. KA is the best airline in the market, but is usually the most expensive

4. 9C is the least comfortable of the lot, but is an okay option when everything else is expensive
-pay extra for a seat in the first 2 rows, and it's definitely doable
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Do you have status with a skyteam airline? If that's the case then China Eastern is the obvious choice. If not they are pretty much the same.
I do not.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I prefer flying in and out of SHA and not PVG since the HKG bound flights are less severely delayed out of SHA. This is especially true during the summer months. Without status, I would take any convenient flight out of SHA while possibly avoiding Spring. If Juneyao is flying this route come summer, they are ok, but a half a notch lower than China Eastern, Shanghai Airlines or Hong Kong Airlines.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by uanj
I prefer flying in and out of SHA and not PVG since the HKG bound flights are less severely delayed out of SHA. This is especially true during the summer months. Without status, I would take any convenient flight out of SHA while possibly avoiding Spring. If Juneyao is flying this route come summer, they are ok, but a half a notch lower than China Eastern, Shanghai Airlines or Hong Kong Airlines.
I haven't noticed a major difference in delays between the two airports; when the corridor is jammed, it tends to affect all airports that use it. I prefer SHA because: 1) it is closer to pretty much everywhere you'd want to go in Shanghai, and 2) T1 is extremely easy.

I believe that only KA, MU/FM, and HX fly SHA-HKG. HO and 9C only offer PVG-HKG.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

i am visiting Shanghai Disney, so PVG is the closest airport.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by moondog
I haven't noticed a major difference in delays between the two airports; when the corridor is jammed, it tends to affect all airports that use it. I prefer SHA because: 1) it is closer to pretty much everywhere you'd want to go in Shanghai, and 2) T1 is extremely easy.

I believe that only KA, MU/FM, and HX fly SHA-HKG. HO and 9C only offer PVG-HKG.
Over the last two summers I had flight delays up to 7 hours on PVG-HKG. The longest delay I had on SHA-HKG flights was 90 minutes. When things back up art PVG the HKG flights always get low priority. At SHA the few international/regional flights always get priority over the domestic flights so the delays are less significant.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:07 pm

Over the last two summers I had flight delays up to 7 hours on PVG-HKG. The longest delay I had on SHA-HKG flights was 90 minutes. When things back up art PVG the HKG flights always get low priority. At SHA the few international/regional flights always get priority over the domestic flights so the delays are less significant.
I have a handful of 10+ hour SHA-HKG/MFM delays under my belt. I really don't think these flights get priority over SZX or CAN flights, apart from the fact that they have more options than the main overland flight path, but the same goes for ex-PVG flights.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Looks like all of the delay issues people are mentioning are PVG-HKG, but Ill be coming the other way; wonder if that will make a difference?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane
Looks like all of the delay issues people are mentioning are PVG-HKG, but Ill be coming the other way; wonder if that will make a difference?
While it's true that some days traffic is more congested in one direction than the other, delays are evenly distributed in the grand scheme.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.