FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Airfare to China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1943074-airfare-china.html)

Mike in Pike Nov 29, 2018 4:04 pm

Airfare to China

I am new here. I need a flight to Wuhan (in the summer). What airline(s) or airfare websites can I access to find the most reasonable prices? Obviously, I have tried Kayak, but I don’t think they list some of the more obscure airlines (Xiamen, etc). I am flexible and can leave from Baltimore, DC, or NYC.

AUCLABruin Nov 29, 2018 5:46 pm

I find that Google Flights isn't showing all of the mainland carriers. Kayak almost always does, but Studentuniverse is another good website. There are fares that can be bought by non-students and usually have a promo code that can save a bit more.

Mike in Pike Nov 29, 2018 6:04 pm

Fantastic. Thanks.

moondog Nov 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Supply is currently far greater than demand in the US-China airfare market, especially if you are flexible with respect to gateway cities (e.g. you can fly to Wuhan from any other city that has flights to China). I wouldn't start looking for summer tickets until Q3 myself.

Mike in Pike Nov 29, 2018 8:55 pm

I’m an educator so I am extremely flexible with my travel dates (summer only). So I should wait until April or May to book?

moondog Nov 29, 2018 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mike in Pike (Post 30482116)
I’m an educator so I am extremely flexible with my travel dates (summer only). So I should wait until April or May to book?

That's my general stance in the current market, but if you see any great fares that work for you pop up in the interim, there's not much downside to pouncing on them. Basically, the more time you spend on FT and Google Flights, the more you'll realize that really fares aren't always available, but do reliably surface. This was not the case several years back, but is now.

ftrichard Nov 30, 2018 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Mike in Pike (Post 30481364)
I am new here. I need a flight to Wuhan (in the summer). What airline(s) or airfare websites can I access to find the most reasonable prices? Obviously, I have tried Kayak, but I don’t think they list some of the more obscure airlines (Xiamen, etc). I am flexible and can leave from Baltimore, DC, or NYC.

Did you check the OTA / app ctrip? This is Chinese owned and I usually find it is good for Chinese travel with good prices. I buy all my Cathay flights off it for a few HK$ less than buying direct.

889 Nov 30, 2018 2:22 am

I also wouldn't book till Spring, though no harm checking fares occasionally beforehand.

In addition to booking flights direct to Wuhan, look for flights to the major gateways: Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong. Then a local flight onward. With High-Speed Rail, even train is a possibility.

Mike in Pike Nov 30, 2018 4:07 am

Awesome. Thanks.

ztang15 Nov 30, 2018 6:13 am

Trip.com may help you. It is the largest Chinese online travel agent in English version.
However, I still suggest you to search the price on Trip.com and then buy the air ticket on airline official website.

moondog Nov 30, 2018 8:18 am

1. I don't find ctrip to be especially useful for flights to China
2. But, I use them regularly within and from China and prefer them to booking direct with airlines

uanj Dec 1, 2018 3:00 am

Originally Posted by ztang15 (Post 30483235)
Trip.com may help you. It is the largest Chinese online travel agent in English version.
However, I still suggest you to search the price on Trip.com and then buy the air ticket on airline official website.

Why do you say this? If you ever need to change your reservation Ctrip has great English speaking customer service. Most Chinese airlines don't.

IluvSQ Dec 1, 2018 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Mike in Pike (Post 30481364)

Why is MF ( Xiamen Airlines) and "obscure" airline? Some 200 aircraft, formerly Star Alliance, now Sky Team, owned by China Southern, one of the world's largest airlines...

uanj Dec 1, 2018 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ (Post 30487209)
Why is MF ( Xiamen Airlines) and "obscure" airline? Some 200 aircraft, formerly Star Alliance, now Sky Team, owned by China Southern, one of the world's largest airlines...

Agree with you that Xiamen Air is hardly obscure, but don't believe they were ever in Star. China Southern is their main investor and both are Sky Team members. Perhaps you are thinking of Shanghai Airlines which was Star until China Eastern bought them and pulled them over into Sky Team.

OP, you are looking very early which is good. No need to book now. Booking 2-3 months before date of travel should be fine and you will have a feel by then for prices.

IluvSQ Dec 3, 2018 7:13 am

Originally Posted by uanj (Post 30489184)
Agree with you that Xiamen Air is hardly obscure, but don't believe they were ever in Star. China Southern is their main investor and both are Sky Team members. Perhaps you are thinking of Shanghai Airlines which was Star until China Eastern bought them and pulled them over into Sky Team.

You are correct, I was thinking of Shanghai Airlines. Always did, and still do, get confused between MF and FM (-