4 hours transfer in PVG enough

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

hi so thinking of booking

KA800 HKG-PVG arrival ~10pm

Connecting onto a flight ~2:15am so that gives me a tad under 4 hours. On separate tickets. But have APEC card if that helps to speed up the line.

I know that there are heaps of delays. But are delays normally this bad where it could eat up the 3:45 buffer?

Otherwise may have to take KA872 arriving at 8:50pm! But that would be a long / boring time if the flight ends up on time.

Edit: I wanted to do check in luggage but can travel HBO. Will be T2 (KA) -> T2 (MH)

Last edited by ermen; Nov 27, 2018 at 2:40 am Reason: clarify
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
in general it should be enough. but do you have to change terminal? from T2 to T1? do you have check-in luggage?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ermen

Connecting onto a flight ~2:15am so that gives me a tad under 4 hours. On separate tickets. But have APEC card if that helps to speed up the line.

I know that there are heaps of delays. But are delays normally this bad where it could eat up the 3:45 buffer?
It's really impossible to answer what will happen. Overall it's just a bad idea, period! You could not pay me to transit in PVG.

Because you have a higher likelihood to miss the flight if you set a "normal" connection duration (versus a non mainland Chinese airport), but if you set a generous buffer like 3:45 you're proposing or even more, say 4 or 5 or 6 hours and your original flight isn't very delayed or on time (which very well can happen, in fact this is the most likely outcome) you'll have a huge waste of time at PVG. And it's not a very nice airport to hang around in to begin with. Both scenarios suck.

It's not about what will happen, it's about the probability. It's without question the probability of delay and length of delay are both higher in PVG. Although, overall you're still "more likely than not" to have a totally normal and mundane flight without delay.

I think you know the answer to the question I quoted: of course delays to/from PVG can easily eat up the 3:45 buffer! Especially later in the day. Now is it likely? No. But once the delays roll in, say you get an unlucky day, the PLA does its thing and closes a bunch of airspace, and then weather moves in closing whatever corridors are left, you're just screwed and nothing you can do. I had a 6 hour delay last year. There seems to be no way to predict it either.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It seems to me that delays have been quite reasonable in the past couple of months. For example CX5800 (arrives 10pm) has an average delay of 17min in the past month, very good for a HKG-departing flight.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ermen

Otherwise may have to take KA872 arriving at 8:50pm! But that would be a long / boring time if the flight ends up on time.
I wanted to do check in luggage but can travel HBO. Will be T2 (KA) -> T2 (MH)
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
While OP is traveling on OW and starting with KA, this is probably better discussed in the CHN forum. Moving over...

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by QRC3288
It's really impossible to answer what will happen. Overall it's just a bad idea, period! You could not pay me to transit in PVG.
4 hours should be enough, but I'm in complete agreement with you. Furthermore, most international destinations from PVG are also served from HKG, and SZX has excellent domestic coverage, though the airport is kind of a PITA.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
If you're connecting to MH then I assume you're flying HKG-PVG-KUL?

I agree with the others, plenty of airlines flying HKG-KUL (four, according to Wikipedia). No reason to transit the mainland.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

anyone has colour on the through checkin scenario in this case ( KA to MH?)

KA theoretically can through-check and maybe tag my bags to KUL. but practically speaking would my luggage just be dumped at PVG?

seems hard to find info on what happens to interline baggage at PVG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.