Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Bank account in china for alipay/wechat

Old Nov 15, 18, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Is it possible to create a bank account for short term visits so that one could use that for alipay/wechat.. though it would also serve as a long term purpose of taobao purchases, which i do all the time?

Or perhaps some workaround..
Old Nov 15, 18, 9:14 am

See the discussion in this thread:

Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai
Old Nov 16, 18, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried to help a FT member set up a bank account last month (I wasn't in Shanghai at the time, so accompanying to the banks was not possible), and he struck out at ~5 banks, in spite of the fact that he used my address (instead of a hotel address). Apparently, they wanted to see an RP instead of a normal tourist/business visa. I am guessing that if he kept trying (e.g. at lower tier banks), he probably would have succeeded.

Side note: It would be nice to get an updated list of banks that work with Alipay and Wechat for foreigners. CMB and ICBC are known, but there must be more by now.
Old Nov 16, 18, 6:53 pm

Too long a list to translate, but here are the banks for Alipay, the ones that show 护照 “passport."

https://cshall.alipay.com/lab/help_d...lp_id=10002952

This is the list from Wechat. But I'm not clear whether it's a list of all banks that work generally with Wechat or a list of only banks that work with foreign passport holders.

Wechat Help Centre Link

Last edited by 889; Nov 18, 18 at 9:49 am
Old Nov 18, 18, 1:06 am

Living in Chengdu as a tourist at the moment. Struck out a few times before even revealing the tourist visa. Ended up opening an account at an ICBC. I think they wanted a residence permit, but I just gave them my police registration paper and they opened the account. There was a lot of discussion on their end though, and examining my passport. I suspect technically I was supposed to have the residence permit, but at least you know it's possible!
Old Nov 18, 18, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Data point: Currently in Kunming as a student. All of us with tourist or X2 (sub-6 month) tourist visas have been unable to open accounts. The banks are asking for residence permits.
Old Nov 18, 18, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Data point: Currently in Kunming as a student. All of us with tourist or X2 (sub-6 month) tourist visas have been unable to open accounts. The banks are asking for residence permits.
I thought x2 could be converted to RP.
Old Nov 18, 18, 5:34 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I thought x2 could be converted to RP.
Current procedure is "book another semester, get a medical check, pay CNY450 in fees, get a longer-term X1, voila RP." But again, this is one language school and perhaps 12-20 students I've spoken with about this over the past 12 weeks. And you know how much of a YMMV this issue is.
Old Nov 19, 18, 7:49 am

Just an update on the Alipay/WeChat bank lists linked above.

I have a card from a bank not among the two dozen or so on the Alipay list. And as in the past, when I tried to add the card and do real name verification today, I only got the option to add a Chinese ID number. No go. So the list is probably accurate.

But my bank is among the 71 banks now on the WeChat list. And I just put in my name exactly as the bank has it, along with the card and phone numbers, did a couple of confirmation texts, and voilá, in less than two minutes I was set. Got a confirmation text from my bank confirming I had linked the card. No need for passport copy, entry stamp, or other hassle. So simple it was a shock. And it means the list of 71 banks probably is good for foreigners on WeChat.

It certainly looks like WeChat at least has simplified the process considerably. Last time I tried this several months ago I gave up after a run-around of endless confirmations and error messages.
Old Dec 9, 18, 7:06 pm

And if you're thinking of shopping on JD.COM, here's yet another list of bank cards that work with passports there:

https://help.jd.com/user/issue/224-2966.html (in Chinese)

(Although apparently if your bank's not on that list you can nonetheless pay indirectly through UnionPay.)

Search this Thread